• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain showers on que ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tolerate having to buy canola seed because I need that 3rd crop in rotation. If I have to buy cereal and probably pulse seed someday that will be the nail in the coffin for this operation.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
      If for some reason this joke was to happen is there even enough seed growers to produce enough seed for every farmer? Like Furrow said and what quality will they be selling? Most durum in 16 was full of fuzz including seed growers. I had enough good seed of my own to use.
      They can and will set the prices high because of we will be forced to buy new seed.
      I didn’t grow canola this year because of the ridiculous seed cost, now cereals will be priced out of this world also.
      Maybe it’s time to think about doing something else.
      Let's be realistic, Canola and Wheat prices are in the tank because there is a surplus. Has $60-70 per acre for canola seed made it more profitable? The biggest problem in Canada that we have is market access, the second biggest is the weather lottery, sometimes it helps sometimes it hinders. Seed tax is like the carbon tax more costs no results!

Comment

You are probably looking at a future with big carbon taxes, regulation out the wazzoo, glyphosate banned or severely restricted, seed royalties. Meat banned.

This happened to some family farms in Europe where everything was controlled by the state even the weight measurement of dairy milk. Lots took some green subsidies for windmills and biogas and then stopped doing primary ag. Keep a few cows and land around for thier own use and self sufficiency, live cheap on the home place, send kids to London.
        Last edited by jazz; Sep 8, 2019, 08:29.

Comment

Don't anyone doubt the 60 to 80 dollars seed tax price. Hybrid rye thru do genetics is 70 $ an acre. Go do Tom's seed tax survey, our last kick probably

Comment

It’s a tax so Canadian suppliers have a guaranteed income.

Welfare for companies for duck sakes

Comment

If for some reason this joke was to happen is there even enough seed growers to produce enough seed for every farmer? Like Furrow said and what quality will they be selling? Most durum in 16 was full of fuzz including seed growers. I had enough good seed of my own to use.
              They can and will set the prices high because of we will be forced to buy new seed.
              I didn’t grow canola this year because of the ridiculous seed cost, now cereals will be priced out of this world also.
              you will be forced to seed treat the $75/acre weathered fus infected wheat for another $15/acre. Also, the $75/acre will be based a something like 1.5 bu an acre. I seed closer to 2.5 bu acre, so the cost of seed alone may be ~$100/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
                Don't anyone doubt the 60 to 80 dollars seed tax price. Hybrid rye thru do genetics is 70 $ an acre. Go do Tom's seed tax survey, our last kick probably
                Without a seed tax some of these companies wouldn’t be able to send an army of people to every crop show.
                No wonder the hybrid (charge by the seed) agenda is being pushed.

Comment

We also seed at 2.5, and this will be the last straw. Corporate welfare is all this does. What about the farmer for once who is getting left in the dust by Russia and Ukraine and South America. Go there and try this shit you fools.

Comment

Haul it to a US terminal. I can pay for a lot of trucking with those seed costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Without a seed tax some of these companies wouldn’t be able to send an army of people to every crop show.
                      No wonder the hybrid (charge by the seed) agenda is being pushed.
                      I hope someone with the older varieties of Fall rye keep growing it....this is where it is heading...

I should buy the old rye variety and put the hybrid seed cost into fertilizer ....

Comment

I’ve grown rye here n there over the years. There are still some who sell good ol rye. But there is pressure to go to the hybrid varieties for sure. Wrecking another specialty crop. Leave it alone!

Comment

maybe its time to tell them to go **** themselves
                          mark my words , if they ram this down our throats it will blow up in their face ,and **** up their little canola cabal as well
                          there aint $60-70 extra in cereals
                          surely the dumb ****s know that, they can't be that stupid

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            I would say $60-70 is all of the profit in cereals right now.

Why was the canola industry able to develop varieties under a pay for use program but the grains industry ahs to have a back door royalty scheme that removes my choice? This makes no sense. Wheat and durum and barely have more acres than canola. Surely they cant replicate that model?

Then if a variety is successful, the producer can choose it and pay for it upfront.

I hope farmers are serious about standing up to this if it comes through. We are going to have to do something different if we want clout in this industry. Running after the input companies is not helping us. We should make it clear that any unwarranted increase in costs will result in a decrease somewhere else. Guess that 3rd pass of fungicide isn't needed.

Or the ultimate, maybe I will chemfallow a field or two this yr.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              maybe its time to tell them to go **** themselves
                              mark my words , if they ram this down our throats it will blow up in their face ,and **** up their little canola cabal as well
                              surely the dumb ****s know that, they can't be that stupid
                              DO NOT!!!! underestimate the Industries greed!

We need certain traits and not a pile more yeild.

I am already contributing to research and breeding....

FÅ«Ck OFF, SeedCos!

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                                I hope someone with the older varieties of Fall rye keep growing it....this is where it is heading...

I should buy the old rye variety and put the hybrid seed cost into fertilizer ....
                                I think this is a very good idea.
                                My rye growing neighbours usually keep it on inventory until the price is right.
                                Its good to have an old variety on hand to avoid the seed tax. It is one way you can control yourself and tell the seed tax people to shove it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...