• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck, true cost renewables

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada produces >60% renewable ( mostly hydro ). Among the highest in the world.

We also apologize.

Comment

But you don’t believe there is a problem to begin with and are satisfied with subsidies to and external costs from the fossil fuel industry. So I don’t have to justify anything to you.[/QUOTE]

RIGHT Chucker 100% RIGHT The problem is global cooling and depletion of CO2.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        But you don’t believe there is a problem to begin with and are satisfied with subsidies to and external costs from the fossil fuel industry. So I don’t have to justify anything to you.

RIGHT Chucker 100% RIGHT The problem is global cooling and depletion of CO2.[/QUOTE]

There is no evidence of global cooling and the earth is round.

Comment

Well according to the current curriculum, we're all sitting on Treaty land anyway, so it not our problem.
          That was easy!

Comment

How’s the solar power working today Chucker?

Comment

Not much sun today, but still on track to generate our target of 35000 kwh per year.

How is your combine running in the rain?

Crops and plants only collect solar energy for about 100 - 200 days per year on the prairies.

Solar systems generate electricity for over 300 days per year in the mostly dry southern prairies.

Comment

There is no evidence of global cooling and the earth is round. TOO COLD in Sask all year, I have personal evidence...oh and I met my Paris targets because no body is going to check, all optional BS.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  Not much sun today, but still on track to generate our target of 35000 kwh per year.

How is your combine running in the rain?

Crops and plants only collect solar energy for about 100 - 200 days per year on the prairies.

Solar systems generate electricity for over 300 days per year in the mostly dry southern prairies.
                  You have any crop off ?? Never ever here of your actual farm Glen .just all about how you think the rest of us should farm . Typical though of hard core CWB supporters.. just want to dictate how everyone else should farm.
                  How’s that solar powered air fan running? Very curious.
                  You get the same hail back in July as you neighbors?
                  Their corn got shredded.
                  Hope harvest goes well
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 2, 2019, 20:39.

Comment

Two types of “people kind”

One group who thinks they know how everyone else should do things and really never get much accomplished themselves actually ......Left brain mentality.
                    The other group just does what needs to be done , knows how to actually work and thinks for themselves, right brain mentality, but gets scrutinized by group one while actually creating the wealth for all .
                    Group one just try’s to ride off the hard work of group two’s wealth creation.
                    That’s called deadbeats to society.

Yes , opened that can of worms lol ....
                    slow harvest again

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      You have any crop off ?? Never ever here of your actual farm Glen .just all about how you think the rest of us should farm . Typical though of hard core CWB supporters.. just want to dictate how everyone else should farm.
                      How’s that solar powered air fan running? Very curious.
                      You get the same hail back in July as you neighbors?
                      Their corn got shredded.
                      Hope harvest goes well
                      I’m thinking a solar powered aeration fan is a waste of time since it should be running at night especially when you are adding heat for drying.
                      This power setup of 23,500 watts will only provide 102 amps at 230 volts.
                      So basically three 5 HP fans or two 7.5 HP and maybe a 3HP?

This sounds like an expensive investment for such a small and temporary/weather dependant power supply. ....sounds like a wasteful subsidy!

Comment

Chucky, dear Chucky, I can fire up that combine everyday, all day because of good ol fossil fuel, I don’t wait for the sun to shine or wind to blow. Capeech?

Comment

Back to the original post.

It is noteworthy that this spectacular failure of renewables occurred in Texas, one of the best places in the world for renewables, being blessed with abundant sun and wind, and where peak demand closely correlates with peak supply, and where Natural gas backup is amongst the cheapest in the world.

AND IT STILL RESULTED IN CATASTROPHICALLY HIGHER ENERGY PRICES FOR THE CONSUMERS. This is an expected result in Ontario, or UK, or Germany, or BC, but if it is going to work anywhere, it should work in Texas. Everywhere else can just multiply Texas's cost increases accordingly.

Comment

Chuck is willing to put his money where his mouth is. Literally, a lot of money.
                            I can't afford to, nor would I want to.
                            Current policy will leave us all in trouble as we aren't maintaining the production system we have. Thank you to all the Chucks.
                            If the new word for liar is denier, what does that make Chuck??

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                              BULLSHIT!!!!

To give a simple answer to a complicated question, 1hp = ~745w. 8.5x745 = ~6.3kw. Depending on location etc, you'd need ~8kw pv array.

Panels put out ~150w/sq.meter. 8000/150 = 54 square meters. A common mount would be ~2m high, so ~27m long (roughly 7' by 100' array).

This is just to give you a sense of the order of magnitude solar array involved.

18Hp?? Still extra left over???? You have 700 sq ft x 18? 12 600 square feet of solar panels?? You should be able to see a solar array that size from space. **** you 'chuck. Or are you 'averaging' and using the rest of our paid for grid as your battery over a year? Which is it?

Edit: the 8.5 in the calculation is running one 1hp motor for only 8.5 hours a day. That's only when it's sunny. Good job grain doesn't need to be dried the other 15.5 hours a day. On this site we ****ing obey the laws of physics 'chuck.
                              god damn details again, cluck, cluck

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                                https://www.country-guide.ca/crops/are-you-really-drying-grain-when-you-turn-on-aeration-fans/ https://www.country-guide.ca/crops/are-you-really-drying-grain-when-you-turn-on-aeration-fans/

https://www.producer.com/2012/11/study-shows-grain-dryer-fans-should-run-mainly-at-night%E2%80%A9/ https://www.producer.com/2012/11/study-shows-grain-dryer-fans-should-run-mainly-at-night%E2%80%A9/

Producers who lack sophisticated monitoring equipment should follow Palmer’s “yard light rule” — turn fans on at night and off during the day.

Good thing the rest of Sask Power's customers are so generously subsidising your use of the grid for storage...
                                I think what is really interesting here is that Chuck2 is promoting his solar panels to run his bin fans but as the Country guide article points out the most effective use of bin fans is at night(I found this surprising) and therefore renders Chucks solar powered bin fan idea as totally useless. I also agree that in Texas electric power demand would peak during the day and therefore Texas would be a far more suitable location for solar power. My power demand peaks in December and January a time in Alberta with the lowest amount of sunshine.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...