• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheepwheat on sale now

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheepwheat on sale now

Dont know any details $100 per kilo at butchers in sydney. Yep marbled lamb dont know breed of sheep or anything perhaps clever marketing

Click image for larger version

Name:	marble.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	778527

Upping my prices now. Lol

Comment

That's alot of fat!

Comment

Crazy question......... does lamb normally marble like beef does or is this an anomaly? I know very little about sheep as there’s more moose around here than them.

At $100/kg your target audience is pretty select I would imagine. Random thoughts as I deliver hay today.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          Crazy question......... does lamb normally marble like beef does or is this an anomaly? I know very little about sheep as there’s more moose around here than them.

At $100/kg your target audience is pretty select I would imagine. Random thoughts as I deliver hay today.
          In my experience, and with our lamb, there is little marbling, certainly not even close to that. But lamb doesn’t need marbling anyway, it is the most tender, melt in your mouth, cut with a fork every time, red meat going.

We find people are willing to cough up the cash for lamb, once they’ve had it, they always come back for more. Not to the extent of 100 a kg though! That is crazy. We sell our processed lamb for very strong prices though with no trouble at all.

Comment

That's weird - never seen lamb marbled like that. Do they have Wagyu sheep in Australia?

Comment

Ever tried shishliki Mallee?

Comment

Agree on all counts never seen marbling in lamb. Was wondering if its photoshopped.

Shisliki must be similar to many greek marinated lamb dishes. Had to do a search

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                  Agree on all counts never seen marbling in lamb. Was wondering if its photoshopped.

Shisliki must be similar to many greek marinated lamb dishes. Had to do a search
                  You can google images that show lamb with quite a bit of marbling - mind you with your new search engine you might just come up with pictures of well marbled duck!

Comment

Shishliki or shashlik is a Russian/Ukrainian dish made by layering onions an lamb cubes alternately and letting it sit for four or so days. It is a very bare bones recipe, generally no seasonings other than some pepper and in some cases lemon, (in our view an abomination!), and it is amazing what comes of it when grilled.

We have some in restaurants selling as appetizers.

Hard to describe flavour unless you taste it. Even then I can’t really describe it as it is so unique and tender beyond belief.

Too bad lambs aren’t 120 lbs of solid meat!

Comment

Maybe now it can only go up? 1
                      23 Aug Maybe now it can only go up?

Dive, crash and plunge are the headlines strapped to this weeks wool market which saw the largest correction in percentage terms in the last eight years. In absolute price terms, it was the largest in the last 16 years. That being said, with the Eastern Market Indicator currently at 1,513 cents, prices are still higher than the previous two peaks.

The EMI lost 112 cents on the opening day and a further 52 cents on Thursday, for a total 163 cent drop. The Western Market Indicator (WMI) didn’t escape the deluge, giving up 162 cents across the two days of selling to close at 1,598 cents. The AUD actually lifted which sheltered some of the loss in US terms to put the EMI at 1,026 US cents.

Maybe now it can only go up? 3

All microns and categories felt the fall. 19.5 to 21 micron lost around 200 to 210 cents on the week in all selling centres. Merino cardings were the least scathed of all categories, dropping between 10 and 50 cents.

Since the market started to turn from its peak last year, the EMI has dropped 26%. Although the speed of this fall has been significant, we have seen larger corrections before. In 2011 the market fell 33% in just over a year, and before that, the largest correction was from 2003 to the end of 2005 where it fell 47%, but in absolute prices that was just 569 cents.

When looking at the 19.5 and 21 micron in USD terms, this downward cycle has been very similar to the fall in 2011-2012. During that period the market found a base in the second half of August after strong sell-offs.

37,379 bales were offered at Sydney, Melbourne & Fremantle. As could be expected growers weren’t happy with the falling market and passed in a huge 35.8% of the offering. According to AWEX, this was the highest pass in rate since 2003. This meant that just 23,993 bales were cleared to the trade, 5,648 fewer than last week.

The dollar value for the week was just $39.63 million, for a combined value so far this season of $203.85 billion.

No forwards contracts traded this week.

The week ahead

The uncertainty in global trade has well and truly filtered through to uncertainty in the wool game. Market dynamics become less predictable, with normal supply and price behaviour often lost in the process.

However, the speed and scale of this correction have moved the market towards levels that would be considered good value in foreign terms. This should see some support return to the market.

Next week 33,969 bales are rostered for sale in just Sydney and Melbourne. 34,705 and 37,465 bales are currently forecast for the subsequent weeks.

Comment

A guyy breeding for marbling maybe get hamphires sheepwheat

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/on-farm/how-to-breed-for-marbling-in-lamb-kinross-hampshire-downs-at-holbrook-the-top-of-the-chops/news-story/2a874f1ab6f1aaaa28898ee86bb226c7 https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/on-farm/how-to-breed-for-marbling-in-lamb-kinross-hampshire-downs-at-holbrook-the-top-of-the-chops/news-story/2a874f1ab6f1aaaa28898ee86bb226c7

Comment

For shishliki we used the rumps of an older ewe cubed, layer them in a crock(don’t know if a crock makes a difference) with layers of onion, salt, pepper, oil and lots of lemons. These cubes marinate for about 5 days, I think. It’s been awhile. When marinating is done, the cubes are then stacked on long steel rods and suspended over an open, intensely hot fire pit, filled with poplar(I think) that is started hours before. Summer sportsdays were made special with a big slice of home made bread and a plate of shishliki. I suspect these feasts go on up north today, fill me in. Fond memories of my childhood at Mikado.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                            A guyy breeding for marbling maybe get hamphires sheepwheat

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/on-farm/how-to-breed-for-marbling-in-lamb-kinross-hampshire-downs-at-holbrook-the-top-of-the-chops/news-story/2a874f1ab6f1aaaa28898ee86bb226c7 https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/on-farm/how-to-breed-for-marbling-in-lamb-kinross-hampshire-downs-at-holbrook-the-top-of-the-chops/news-story/2a874f1ab6f1aaaa28898ee86bb226c7
                            There’s a packer in Ontario with a premium contract for lambs from Hampshire terminal sires

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              Shishliki or shashlik is a Russian/Ukrainian dish made by layering onions an lamb cubes alternately and letting it sit for four or so days. It is a very bare bones recipe, generally no seasonings other than some pepper and in some cases lemon, (in our view an abomination!), and it is amazing what comes of it when grilled.

We have some in restaurants selling as appetizers.

Hard to describe flavour unless you taste it. Even then I can’t really describe it as it is so unique and tender beyond belief.

Too bad lambs aren’t 120 lbs of solid meat!
                              Originally in the old country shishliki was a way of making use of old rams and crock ewes. Apparently pretty good but had to be consumed with a few shots of homebrew to make it better,
                              However there is nothing like shishliki made from sheepwheats lamb. Don't need the homebrew but it goes well with it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.