• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subsidies you guys similar?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsidies you guys similar?

Cut and paste sorry.

"Trade war revives farm subsidies-Trump gives $42 billion to American farmers-Australian farmers get 1.7% of income from taxpayer-ONLY country with less is NZ-many rich nations subsidise farmers 60% of their income-where is this level playing field I keep hearing about?"

What were get here is a fuel rebate. Our diesel and gas has a raft of taxes which funds roads and infrastructure as farmers we get that back because were using it on farm. 38 cents a litre have to buy fuel and claim it back.

Basically thats it some drought funding if you qualify. No govt backed income protection/insurance zero.

Canada similar?

I saw some interesting figures recently Mallee of total household income on Canadian farms from 2008-2014 (which included some good years on the crop side at least)

The income was derived:
    41% from off farm employment. (think wives, partners as well as farmers working off farm)
    15% from off farm investments.
    15% from farm program payments. (all types of subsidy/support)
    10% from pensions. (shows the demographic of the sector)
    only around 16% net market income. (adjusted for Capital Cost Allowance)

Comment

guess i dont count wives/off farm work.

ive got nine neighbours 6 of there wives work. Mine doesnt

Comment

[QUOTE=grassfarmer;421162]I saw some interesting figures recently Mallee of total household income on Canadian farms from 2008-2014 (which included some good years on the crop side at least)

The income was derived:
        41% from off farm employment. (think wives, partners as well as farmers working off farm)
        15% from off farm investments.
        15% from farm program payments. (all types of subsidy/support)
        10% from pensions. (shows the demographic of the sector)
        only around 16% net market income. (adjusted for Capital Cost

My guess is those numbers are useless. Everytime I here farm stats in Canada I call bs. I always hate when they make us sound like a bunch of basket cases! For the calculations what constitutes a farmer? Live rural? Own farmland but may or may not farm it? Crop share? Have fat cattle in custom lot that you've never seen? Have an alpaca, couple chickens and a horse but file as a farmer to run purple fuel?

Would like to know true stats but kinda not likely.

On my farm, no off farm income, no investment income, no pension, agri invest of 1%, 99% commodity sales income.

Farm fuel and crop ins cost share are not income, just expense reduction.

And contrary to what those stats (and us complaining farmers) always say as a farmer I've had a healthy income and tax bill the last 10yrs.

Comment

Dont the subsidies trade barriers etc with farmers knowing full well they my get income from such govt policy encourage them to keep growing the crops affected meaning beans mostly i guess.

And add to the ever increasing mountain of beans?

Comment

In Canada, we have fun with numbers from the Gov.

Like our Crap insurance Bill.

$200,000.00 cost of the Insurance for the said farm.
            Min gov share
            50,000.00 Fed gov.

Min Provincial share.

Farmers cost

$100,000.00

Profit after all expenses Sask. crop insurance couple million.

So again fun with numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
              Dont the subsidies trade barriers etc with farmers knowing full well they my get income from such govt policy encourage them to keep growing the crops affected meaning beans mostly i guess.

And add to the ever increasing mountain of beans?
              Exactly, sends all the wrong signals at the wrong time.

Comment

Yes, it does Alberta, but when Skippy gives billions to Unhurt Dairy farmers and Canola farmers out west are gutted by Skippy's screw-ups they become needed.

This Market knows crap is bullshit like bins of Canola on farms.

But let's give a Company Billions for six employees.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...