• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many acres?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many acres?

How many acres do you need to justify this much harvesting capacity? A local family farm going hard on barley just now with 6 semis in the field to keep up with the combines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	778517

Go big or go home!

.....to each their own.

Comment

Big difference between if they were all purchased new,,, or new leases,,, or used/demo leases,,, or bought used at auction.

Comment

Victor makes it work, and well. Barley, oats and sunflowers. I think he hauls most if not all to the US.

Comment

they dont look new, probably bought all of them at RB for the cost of one new. good mechanic and a decent shop can keep those machines going for years.

Comment

Local have 8 combines on 18 thousand plus acres.
            Usually done first..

Comment

We run one on 5700

Comment

Their Yellow and Red so not that many.

... just kidding but sometimes I like to stir the pot.

Comment

It's a free country, everyone has the choice to do what they want.
                  Some embrace opportunity. Take the risk.
                  Everything is incremental and relative.
                  If you want to go for it and have what it takes and have the fortitude for it.... who am I to say you're right or wrong?

Maybe this is a good place to repeat another mantra I like to use....

"I won't begrudge anyone their success but won't mourn their failure either."

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    How many acres do you need to justify this much harvesting capacity? A local family farm going hard on barley just now with 6 semis in the field to keep up with the combines.

[ATTACH]4720[/ATTACH]
                    Who cares. For what it's worth, looks like an old cr970 and a bunch of mixed vintage 8010's. All together worth what a new class 9 and header would be. As far as I'm concerned if you can fix them, then running a bunch of 60,000 dollar machines is the way to go. Getting manpower to run them is another story. Nothing wrong with running 15 year old combines is there?

Edit: you like putting pictures of your neighbors stuff on here dont you, last one was of your neighbors poor pasture management. I suppose it's ok to you, just not my style anyway.
                    Last edited by sk_wheatking; Aug 20, 2019, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      We run one on 5700
                      That’s efficient. Thought I was pushing it on 4500

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                        they dont look new, probably bought all of them at RB for the cost of one new. good mechanic and a decent shop can keep those machines going for years.
                        Nailed it. He buys a lot at RB auctions. They do a lot of mechanic work. Those combines do at least 2,000 acres each or more.

Comment

Acres is one thing, manpower is another, that's gotta be a juggling act.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                            Edit: you like putting pictures of your neighbors stuff on here dont you, last one was of your neighbors poor pasture management. I suppose it's ok to you, just not my style anyway.
                            Who put the bug up your ass? I posted a picture of a scene I drove past and asked a question as I was curious to know and thought it would be a conversation starter. Funny you don't critique anyone else who posts pictures that aren't taken on their own land as they are not uncommon on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                              Nailed it. He buys a lot at RB auctions. They do a lot of mechanic work. Those combines do at least 2,000 acres each or more.
                              In this weather challenged country 2000 is enough, those tryin more acres always lose grade, dry more, work till winter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...