• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many acres?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding those kinds of acres involves exponential risk in this business.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Adding those kinds of acres involves exponential risk in this business.
      Not necessarily if you have those machines run at the optimum acres per cost and land spread out sometimes lessens risk. Crop insurance becomes even less effective thoughbecause some fields different areas will offset others. All depends on lots of factors. When you click the payout is that much bigger also.

Fcc and some lenders will kiss your ass the bigger you are much more lenient when things go south. I know this first hand when I didn’t farm as much they were on my case steady I had lots of equity for what I owed and they still gave me the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
        In this weather challenged country 2000 is enough, those tryin more acres always lose grade, dry more, work till winter.
        You're right about the risks. Victor mitigates some that risk with his crop mix. Starts barley early, next oats and the sunflowers of course later. His land suits all those crops.

Comment

I realize not everyone is playing at the same craps table, but what's stopping anyone from rolling bigger dice? Relatively speaking.

...."if" they want to?

Do the BTO's judge the STO's for being lazy and averse to risk? Mock them for being a single combine farm? Stagnant or worse yet....getting left behind? Bucking the "trend"? Suffering from sour g****s?

Or calling them an Old McDonald e-i-e-i-o farm if they are diversified into livestock.

Or call cattlemen hay-seed shit-kicking cowboys if they only raise cattle?

Put the shoe on the other foot, and I have nothing to defend or justify?

Comment

Look at the scorn and contempt some people have for supply management sectors.
            What is it? The barrier to entry or the COP plus profit assurance.....IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.
            Some dairy families did a better job than others around here!
            Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 20, 2019, 21:14.

Comment

The poor guy on the swather must take crystal meth just so he can stay ahead.

Comment

Quick, someone inform Dear Leader that Comrade Iain has discovered Kulaks that need to be sent to the Gulag to ensure the continued glory of the Motherland.

Mediocrity and conformity above all else!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  We run one on 5700
                  Furrow, have to admit that is impressive. But my curiousity is getting the best of me. In my area 2500 acres per combine would be the max. So I am interested how you do it? Class 8,9 or 10 combine? Grain cart? Header size? Crop rotation? Land all close? I realize that is a lot of questions, as I said just curious.

Comment

our area max is 3500 acres per combine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      Furrow, have to admit that is impressive. But my curiousity is getting the best of me. In my area 2500 acres per combine would be the max. So I am interested how you do it? Class 8,9 or 10 combine? Grain cart? Header size? Crop rotation? Land all close? I realize that is a lot of questions, as I said just curious.
                      We run 3 guys after the boys are gone to school. Just run two Tandem grain trucks , unload once on the go never stop.

9240 case
                      Mad concaves
                      45 ft flex head
                      All land within 2 miles of bins
                      Most fields are 300 acre or so
                      Crops are in harvest order , well try lol
                      Peas
                      Blackbeans
                      HRSW
                      Canola (80/20 swath / straightcut)
                      Soybeans

Two years ago we had no issues at harvest. Last year after it snowed for two weeks we rented one combine , a 9230.

Crop rotation used to be pea/canola/wht
                      But the helped lead to root rot in peas
                      Now we switched to canola / pulse / wheat
                      The pulse year is switched from peas to Blackbeans to soybeans to break up disease cycles now .

Again all our land is close , we are generally dry at harvest , last year a very odd 1 in 20 for us.
                      Land is in big blocks seeded and harvested as such as well .
                      What helps a lot is two seeding outfits .
                      Speeds up early seeding thus earlier harvest .
                      Wheat gets seeded first with a Bourgault 8910 , then peas
                      The planter seeds canola , and beans
                      Seeding window we try 12 days . Makes harvest much more efficient, for us .....
                      Every area very different .
                      Even crop maturity is also very key
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 21, 2019, 06:31.

Comment

I know of that family heated shop good mechanics by older used equipment. Funny how liberals are always jealous of there neibour aka grassfarmer

Comment

I wouldn’t care less if those were brand new. They are what they call “depreciating iron”.
                          I’m not the one paying for them.
                          Typically in my area one can do 4000 ac, and a good year is needed.

Comment

In this country, most guys are at 1500 acres a machine maximum. No way one machine could do 3 or 4000 in our conditions. Not in a million years! Those numbers shock me. Most of you all must generally have fine harvestweather and it looks like most harvest in August asa rule.

Must be nice! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              In this country, most guys are at 1500 acres a machine maximum. No way one machine could do 3 or 4000 in our conditions. Not in a million years! Those numbers shock me. Most of you all must generally have fine harvestweather and it looks like most harvest in August asa rule.

Must be nice! Lol
                              We generally have lower humidity at nights as well being in a dry pocket 90% of the time here. That helps a lot no doubt

Comment

Why would grass even ask the way he did.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.