• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM moratorium lifted in my state/province

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM moratorium lifted in my state/province

Finally we’ve caught up with rest of Australia.

Will I use the technology maybe maybe not case by case paddock by paddock.

But I should have the choice.

Drought and frost tolerance key issues rather that roundup ready technology.

Some of the drought genes from South America which we actually have in SA may well be utilised.

One of our university’s gm programme is ranked about 4th in the world and they export all the intillectal data overseas can’t utilise it here but can now.

Finally govt listened to majority of farmers rather than minority who many of opponents don’t even farm. Rent a crowd is huge in farm politics in oz.

Few more hurdles and consultation

But like I said another tool at my disposal if I wish..
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Aug 19, 2019, 05:38.

I'll give you a heads up on what will happen. The seed companies will promise the world and show awesome things, but the reality is nothing yet can protect from frost or drought or flood.

They will increase costs slowly at first till in about ten years your paying double or triple for seed, and all the old varieties that worked are gone.

Ah, farming.

Comment

One thing that gets gotten in whole gm debate it just speeds up breeding most think it’s chemical only nothing could be further from the truth in oz.

To buy a tonne o new wheat seed say $1000 to 1200

Canola around 5 to 23 per kg hybrids the costly ones.

There’s a arctic wheat grass there taking a gene from and putting in wheat with no frost damage down to minus 2c but in absence o frost yields about 25 to 30% less always a trade of. But a start to work with.

Our state is number one for frost issues.

Comment

Just had a look there’s 48 diff wheats and 25 diff barleys to grow here.

Some old 15 plus years some new.

When new ones come out most guys wait a yea or two for seed and royalty drops in price or just get together and buy 3 or 4 tonne between 5 or 6 guys and grow one one fam and divide it up at harvest then go home and grow it the next year

Comment

I have asked plant breeders for near 2 decades to look at frost tolerance in canola for western Canada ..... never even bat an eye .
          Same here Mallee, we are extremely prone to frost spring and fall, even more so in this “global warming” climate.
          A frost tolerance gene would be the biggest thing in canola production in decades.
          This years frosts and very cold overnight temps the entire growing season highlights the issue that’s ignored by the entire canola industry.
          There was a tremendous amount of green seed last year because of early fall frosts as well . But nothing ever even mentioned. Frost causes massive financial losses for farmers every year.

Comment

That is going to help contribute to the collapse in glyphosate use that Austranada keeps telling us about, right?

Interesting that Australian breeders are working on frost tolerance, I didn't know if that was even a possibility. It would be huge here.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              That is going to help contribute to the collapse in glyphosate use that Austranada keeps telling us about, right?

Interesting that Australian breeders are working on frost tolerance, I didn't know if that was even a possibility. It would be huge here.
              It absolutely is possible, given the tech today in breeding

Comment

I've listened to a number of talks given by African scientists begging for that freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  I've listened to a number of talks given by African scientists begging for that freedom.
                  It is very sad that first world societies insist on imposing archaic backwards limitations on Africans and other third world people. Real solutions which could help drag them out of poverty, but cannot be tolerated by the leftist elites who know better. So they don't get to use fossil fuels, or have reliable electricity, or modern farming techniques and technology.

Let them keep burning cow dung, and every last tree, and intensive tillage by hand or beast of burden so the soil can keep degrading and eroding, and keep grazing every blade of grass, and every shrub so desertification can take over.

All this, rather than enable and encourage them to use the same fossil fuels and technologies that have afforded us such a high standard of living.

Comment

as by my post im not a rabid pro or anti GM farmer just another management tool.

And as a aussie farmer were not at loggerheads with breeders etc like it seems in canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...