• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure don't hear much about this

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure don't hear much about this

Canadian BSE class-action lawsuit expected to go to trial in September 2019
    June 13, 2018 September 21, 2018 / News / By Melissa Lesy
    A class-action lawsuit seeking compensation for losses cattle producers suffered during the BSE crisis is now expected to go to trial in September 2019.

The lawsuit is seeking $8 billion in damages from the federal government for losses incurred when the U.S. border was closed to Canadian cattle from 2003 to 2005. It has been filed in four provinces, but the case is being dealt with by an Ontario court. In late April, Ontario Superior Court Justice Paul Perell set a trial date and made some other rulings, said Duncan Boswell, a senior partner with Gowling WLG in Toronto and one of the lawyers in charge of the class-action suit.

“He ordered a couple of findings including replacing the representative plaintiff because (Ontario rancher) Mr. Bill Sauer has unfortunately passed away,” said Boswell.

Flying E Ranch Ltd. from Alberta is the new representative plaintiff, he said.

“We finally finished up the fine tunings of the pleading that we have been doing discoveries on,” said Boswell, adding it is hoped the remaining discoveries (pre-trial procedures for obtaining evidence) will be completed by this fall.

The class-action suit includes all ranchers and dairy farmers — about 135,000 in all — who were in business from May 2003 (when the first case of BSE was confirmed and the U.S. border abruptly closed to Canadian cattle) until July 2005 (when export of live cattle under the age of 30 months to the U.S. was again allowed).

“We’re hopeful this will get to trial,” said Boswell. “By then, we can finally get this resolved for all producers.”

The lawsuit against the federal government centres around cattle imported from the U.K. and Ireland from 1982 to 1990, when Ottawa banned the importation of live cattle from countries with BSE. The suit alleges that despite promising to monitor an estimated 198 cattle imported during that time, at least 80 of those animals were “potentially rendered… and then entered the cattle feed system.” It was known that the prions that cause BSE could be transmitted via feed, the lawsuit says, and the federal government was negligent because it didn’t prevent the imported cattle from being used for feed ingredients.

“It comes down to basically 200 cows that had been imported into Canada prior to the ban in 1990,” Boswell said in an interview in early 2017. “The government recognized the issue of BSE and recognized that it had an obligation to prevent BSE from coming to Canada, so it implemented a ban in 1990.”

But the government should have done much more, the suit alleges. It says Britain banned using bovine meat and bone meal in feed in 1988 to prevent the spread of BSE, but federal officials didn’t do the same until 1997 (even though a purebred cow imported from the U.K. in 1987 was diagnosed with BSE).

The suit alleges 80 of the 198 imported U.K. cattle — “at least 10 of which came from herds known to have BSE” — entered the animal food chain between 1990 and 1994 and were the “most likely source of the first generation of BSE in Canadian cattle.”

Source: Alberta Farm Express

shop photo galleries

Interesting to see what happens. Haven’t heard a thing about this in years.

Comment

Great if much comes of it. I was getting going when this happened and what a kick in the nuts. If it was the governments negligence that can be proven boy that’ll be a fight yet to get money out of the bastards.

Comment

At this point, there won't be a dime left after the judges cut the amount down to like 150 mill and the lawyers take their cut.

Comment

Kicking the can down the road. If they wait long enough, we'll all be dead.

https://farmersforum.com/bse-beef-class-action-lawsuit-gets-court-date/ https://farmersforum.com/bse-beef-class-action-lawsuit-gets-court-date/

Comment

BSE lawsuit dismissed, but not over yet - Judge agrees Ottawa failed to take steps to keep BSE out of Canada, but says that's not negligence.

An Ontario Supreme Court judge has dismissed a class-action lawsuit that alleged the federal government was negligent nearly two decades ago when it

Comment

There is less than 1/2 the number of cattle operations now. So they are thinking that there was little impact?

Comment

I think it was 'mission accomplished'. There is no negligence to anything these "liberals" do. Just ask the legacy media.
                Last edited by littledoggie; Apr 17, 2022, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by littledoggie View Post
                  I think it was 'mission accomplished'. There is no negligence to anything these "liberals" do. Just ask the legacy media.
                  Its not really a partisan issue. Conservatives could have settled the case at anytime when they were in power, made things right for those that voted them in. But they all fought it to the bitter end. It's a federal government versus cattle producers fight.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                    Its not really a partisan issue. Conservatives could have settled the case at anytime when they were in power, made things right for those that voted them in. But they all fought it to the bitter end. It's a federal government versus cattle producers fight.
                    Yes, you are right, thanks for pointing that out. I tend to blame the liberals (in power 1993-2006) because they were making all the poor decisions that led up the the disastrous closure of borders. I was really hoping the LPC would wear the negligence, not squirm out of it. I don't want any of "their" fckn money, but I sure would like those 10 years of my life back.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.