• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay prices?

Just curious if anyone has heard what hay is selling for this year? Last year we got $140 /ton for really pretty first cut picked up and there wasn’t much around due to drought. This year there’s lots standing yet and most of what’s been baled is well washed. Saw one guy raking yesterday and it was a black cloud behind the rakes visible a half mile away. Hope he got it baled as another 5/8” came overnight. Only 20% of ours came off nice this year and I’m fortunate for that. Still have a quarter of grass hay that’ll be waiting at least a week or two with the cold wet weather.

I’m thinking good stuff should be worth the same as last year. Poor stuff .............. who knows?

Asking prices here seem to be 7-10c/lb. Lots of demand from SK and further north in MB driving prices as the supply just isn't here even in our area as the rain came too late. Won't be much rained on stuff here as very little was done before or during our wet month but since mid July most has been harvested and there has been no measurable rain here.

Comment

I am in the $100/ton zone, but if I lived where you did I would charge more. Certainly don’t get rich selling hay at that price, hay buyers have no idea the cost of making good hay in this day and age. Let alone costs of field prep/seeding just to grow good hay. I make a few pennies on the transport of my own hay as well.

Comment

To keep a hay field in good condition its getting as bad as farming....

Levelling, rolling, fertilizing etc....all cost money that the buyers don't appreciate....

Throw in gophers badgers and moles and profits can disappear...

The fact in this area there is anything to cut is nothing short of incredible...Middle of june it looked like we would be building fence and letting the cows graze it...

Comment

In a hay surplus zone here but prices have started to respond. Last year bought some for 4 cents a lb. this year looking more like 6 or 7 cents maybe.

Grass hay here sucks. Alfalfa is pretty good.

Now to get sun and heat already.

Rained this morning. 0% chance. Nice
          Last edited by Sheepwheat; Aug 9, 2019, 10:59.

Comment

What’s a barley bale worth? Have a guy approached me about wanting 480 ac. Not really enthusiastic about taking straw off the land. Barley straw contains large amounts of potash, and of course carbon.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
              What’s a barley bale worth? Have a guy approached me about wanting 480 ac. Not really enthusiastic about taking straw off the land. Barley straw contains large amounts of potash, and of course carbon.
              What's it worth or what might it sell for?
              I read years ago that the nutrient value was worth about $15 to the farmer so if they baled it up unless they're getting $25+ for it they would be mining their land to sell straw. As a rancher I buy straw and can usually do so for @$20 as lots of guys want the cashflow now versus the long term damage exporting the nutrients/OM does. Depending on the area some people might pay up to $50 a bale - if you can't get hay you don't have many alternatives for long forage. If it was my barley crop I wouldn't drop it for less than $15/bale but a rancher I want it as cheap as I can get it. Competing interests.

Comment

Are we talking straw or greenfeed? We paid around $15 for 1,000 lb straw bale in the swath a few years ago and I think it was reasonable for both parties. Now we just bale our own but if we have extra we chop the owned ground and bale the rented since the landlord doesn’t care........ but I do. 😉

Comment

peaked out at 420 per tonne here early 2019

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                    peaked out at 420 per tonne here early 2019
                    That’s mind boggling. A cow would eat herself up in mere months. I would have to think long and hard about buying feed at the price I’m thinking of selling it at. Luckily there’s mountains of silage buried in the hills here.

Comment

currently around the the 275 to 300 per tonne depending on quality talking oaten hay

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        Are we talking straw or greenfeed? We paid around $15 for 1,000 lb straw bale in the swath a few years ago and I think it was reasonable for both parties. Now we just bale our own but if we have extra we chop the owned ground and bale the rented since the landlord doesn’t care........ but I do. 😉
                        Straw bales. He offered $10, I was quite offended by that. Lol
                        Not sure how many bales/ac it will produce.
                        But $10 a bales there won’t be any straw rows in my fields.

Comment

Depends on your situation, we grow too much straw here, lots of time we chop half and drop half and are glad to get anything for the straw. Works good running 2 combines or if its swathed. Depending on the relationship and neighbors vs dealers have sold straw from $5 to $25 in the swath. We often grow 4 to 5 bales of barley and wheat straw per acre and our harvest season is so late in the year it doesnt usually have much time to breakdown before its froze. Its valuable for sure but if you cant manage it come spring that has cost me dollars also.

Comment

Got a neighbour wanting $140/bale for really nice hay, did almost 5 bales to the acre and the second growth already a foot tall. Do the math on that!

I think it will settle quite a bit here, average crop, not as many mouths to feed, lots of dry areas too but trucking has gotten too expensive to haul it very far. I'm guessing it will be in that 6 to 7 cent per pound range.

Comment

Im sure your gonna think im full of shit

Round bales of straw peaked out at $150 in height of the drought.

Good night saturday night here ridled with the flu

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...