• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other sites/chats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other sites/chats

You guys go on anything else much.

I go to NAT when i have a specific machinery problem usually get help, have a mate whos been on there for 25 yrs and he posts on my behalf at times to get a response.

Combine forum used to have heaps of aussies but havenet been there for over 12 months.

Nat seems to be a bit clikey though almost have to be part of the furniture and can get a bit narky way more than on here.

Just had a look at other forums here not much activity except commodity and beef.

Anyway off to yard sheep for shearing doing 700 but nah youve seen enough sheep and wool pictures over the year will spare you the pain

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Anyway off to yard sheep for shearing doing 700 but nah youve seen enough sheep and wool pictures over the year will spare you the pain
    Keep the pictures coming as I love to see how things are done on the other side of the world.

As for other sites that are good time wasters I hang out on haytalk occasionally. They’re mostly Americans and that’s where our haying equipment comes from as tedders, front unload forage boxes, and twinstar rakes are virtually unknown up here. Very handy for opinions on equipment that I’ve never seen before I drive 7,000 km to bring it home.

Ramblings from Mudville waiting on the last 2 inches of rain to dry up to start cutting hay.

Out checking some pairs tonight

Comment

I waste enough time on this one, one is enough for me.

Comment

The Farming Forum

Good handful of Aussies and Kiwis there. The regulations the Brits have to jump through would also make people on here re evaluate what government not on the farmers side looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          Keep the pictures coming as I love to see how things are done on the other side of the world.

As for other sites that are good time wasters I hang out on haytalk occasionally. They’re mostly Americans and that’s where our haying equipment comes from as tedders, front unload forage boxes, and twinstar rakes are virtually unknown up here. Very handy for opinions on equipment that I’ve never seen before I drive 7,000 km to bring it home.

Ramblings from Mudville waiting on the last 2 inches of rain to dry up to start cutting hay.

Out checking some pairs tonight
          Woodland curiosity gets me everytime! Do you just use the tedder to spread the swath out once after cutting or are you stiring it up more than once? Is it much better than leaving a super wide swath? Or some of them 3pt discbines dont even make a swath.

And why a twinstsar rake over a double rotary wouldn't it be harder on the leaves?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
            Nat seems to be a bit clikey though almost have to be part of the furniture and can get a bit narky way more than on here.
            It is clickey. Lurk on there more than post. Seems to take about 2-3 years of regular posting before they will accept anything that you have to say there. Even then, some guys get beat down harshly. Their political forum reminds me a lot of Agri-ville.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
              Woodland curiosity gets me everytime! Do you just use the tedder to spread the swath out once after cutting or are you stiring it up more than once? Is it much better than leaving a super wide swath? Or some of them 3pt discbines dont even make a swath.

And why a twinstsar rake over a double rotary wouldn't it be harder on the leaves?
              Most of our hay is alfalfa with brome or Timothy so it only gets tedded once after cutting. Sometimes right behind the discbine or we’ll wait a day sometimes to let the ground dry and the crop as well so it stays a bit more “fluffy”. Our discbine is 19’ and maxes out with a 9’ swath. I know we should run a smaller header (or a tractor mounted triple mower) but it’s handy for our silage cutter and the price was right.

As for the rake we always ran a tandem hitch of NH 258+260 bar rakes and they took a lot of abuse and acres. It was too hard for my wife or folks to fold/ unfold as it always required some grunt work to line the hitches up. I like how I can run one or both baskets which is handy for flipping single swathes in rough sloughs which every quarter of ours has a few. They seem simpler but I’ve never ran a rotary or tried to find parts either. Our twinstar has common off the shelf parts which was a real selling feature........... along with the price. Some call me “cheap” but I prefer “financially efficient” 😎

Now I’m curious what you run?😉

Comment

Now I’m curious what you run?😉[/QUOTE]

Nothing fancy or exciting here, 12ft Hesston 1345 hydroswing discbine, depending on weather and crop either put 2 togeather with a siltrex v rake or single rake with stoll rotary. Try for dry mostly but do wrap some too.

Comment

Woodland you have peaked my curiousity, where did you get a 19 foot discbine? I have certainly seen lots of 16 foots. I use a 13 foot on the front of a challenger sp185. Last year it was way to short, this year about right. But over 2 inches of rain in the last week put a real damper on haying. Lots of hay in the area got a really good bath. One other thing, how many horsepower do you have to use to twist that discbine?

Comment

I mainly come to Agriville to help Chuck learn about the modern science and to help him become a better debater, but do also use it for gauging crop conditions across the prairies, and farmer sentiment. Occasionally even try to learn or offer something about commodity marketing. Othewise it is a good place to argue politics, etc.

I use combine forum for any serious questions about equipment or production that are more specific to western Canada. Combine Forum participants tend to be so much more congenial that I hate to take politics etc over there and spoil it.

I use NAT occasionally for more general equipment questions.

I join other forums as required if I'm looking for very specific info, snowmobiles, redpower, etc.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jul 21, 2019, 09:43.

Comment

Was on Nat till 2010, then took a leap of faith when one of the members, who seemed to know what he was talking about as far as markets go, started a 200 member group, i signed up and never went back to Nat. From there i ended up joining 2 other groups of actual traders, wanna be's, and everyone in between, some guys manage small hedge funds with $500 million at their finger tips, it's interesting to say the least. Marketing for me has evolved from "reading the western producer" to having daily contact and being able to shake hands with the movers and shakers. These guys are watching our sector and they have cash set aside waiting. When you get behind the doors of a more private group, the ideas start to flow more freely, it's just the way it is. Yes there's still the same bickering but not to the same degree. You get out what you put in and if you have an open mind it can be extremely beneficial. So 3 private groups and here for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                        Woodland you have peaked my curiousity, where did you get a 19 foot discbine? I have certainly seen lots of 16 foots. I use a 13 foot on the front of a challenger sp185. Last year it was way to short, this year about right. But over 2 inches of rain in the last week put a real damper on haying. Lots of hay in the area got a really good bath. One other thing, how many horsepower do you have to use to twist that discbine?
                        It’s a NH H8080 with 225 hp and I wouldn’t want any less. At 9 mph in heavy first cut with the rolls tight its maxed out unless you’re going downhill. Found it a RME Camrose where it sat for two years after a custom guy traded it after using it for a year. They were motivated sellers which worked out nice. My wife and mom love running it with heated leather and suspended cab/rear axel.

And it’s got a great buddy seat / floor space for a swamper😎

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          It’s a NH H8080 with 225 hp and I wouldn’t want any less. At 9 mph in heavy first cut with the rolls tight its maxed out unless you’re going downhill. Found it a RME Camrose where it sat for two years after a custom guy traded it after using it for a year. They were motivated sellers which worked out nice. My wife and mom love running it with heated leather and suspended cab/rear axel.

And it’s got a great buddy seat / floor space for a swamper😎
                          Your Apprentice is sleeping on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Your Apprentice is sleeping on the job.
                            He’s spoiled.😎 When I was his age I’d be bouncing my brains off the side window of a 4440. Says he wants to be a “bale farmer “ when he grows up. Just finished preschool and says he doesn’t need any more school. 😉

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.