• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Yield Prospects

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Yield Prospects

I don’t make country wide miles so have seen many crops and the potential. “If” everything prevails and things fall into place, what are general thoughts on yields?
    From what I’ve seen I say average, but not sure what average is anymore. Seems to be so much variability in crops. Canola is the one I would say is the big question mark.
    Six wks ago we sure wouldn’t have been talking of a crop at all.

It’s going to vary a lot everywhere
    Some good crops north and west of here
    Maybe average in my area , but with huge variables from field to field
    East of here crops will be below average

Comment

Down to +4 in places last night !

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        It’s going to vary a lot everywhere
        Some good crops north and west of here
        Maybe average in my area , but with huge variables from field to field
        East of here crops will be below average
        Went through your hood on way to edmonton last week end. There's heroes and zeros. Saw canola blasting from heat/ drought, flooded out spots, 1st of July replant, 3 leaf and flowering canola within 6 inches of each other, the wave from drought has set in on cereals, on the whole im guessing slightly below 10 yr average 10%~ maybe more depending on the finish. There's no way of putting an accurate number on the crop at this time, just way too much variability. You name it, it's out there this year, it's not consistent.

Comment

Wheat should hit 50 but that’s way less than last year

Barley will be less than last year by 20 bus or more.

Peas might beat last year. We had shit show last year on two so who knows

Canola will be 30 less if it freezes in August if sept up if waits till October all bets are off on yield

Comment

1st we need to make through July without a frost. +4C last night Carbon Tax working well. Global warming give me a f'ing break.
            Early durum and wheat in my area is the shits, was damn near headed out before the 1st rain in June. Changing colour now and lucky if it goes 35. Canola has improved considerably from the road, walk into it realize that its halfway through flowering not much past you kneecap. The very odd late may seeded canola looks like it could go 50. Canola yields on avg will disappoint. Lentils look ok but man they are flowering late. Won't be combining lentils in the 1st half of August this year, likely wont be till September. Canola could use more moisture to fill in and lentils need heat and no rain.

Comment

Think I got the yeild but the timing especially on the canola is the question.

But there are some other problems, lots of nasty weeds coming. I have a cleaver problem in my canola cause I couldnt spray it twice 20% was in bloom. Mustard in lentils and flax. Ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Wheat should hit 50 but that’s way less than last year

Barley will be less than last year by 20 bus or more.

Peas might beat last year. We had shit show last year on two so who knows

Canola will be 30 less if it freezes in August if sept up if waits till October all bets are off on yield
                Did you buy the bird?

Comment

Crop looks good in NE Sask. I am enjoying a year when we are not flooded out and for the first time in years i have a decent pea crop. Canola looks good but doesn't it always look good when its flowering? Should have enough moisture to fill everything now.

It can get hot and trim some yield or it might stay cold and end up freezing.

Comment

Agree the lentils need heat and lots of it. They look real good with lots of flowers, so ya bring in the warm weather. They are worth nothing so need yield to make up for price loss .... like everything!!

Comment

Pea fields all look excellent.
                      What are they worth per bushel?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        New crop maybe $6.50 ..... whooptey doo.

Comment

Peas got pretty tall here. My variety appears very susceptible to disease.
                          Spray didn't buy much time with the constant rain and cloud.
                          Possible half yield now.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                            Root rot in our area in some fields
                            Which is crazy considering how dry we were up until the last 4 days
                            But it’s all on wheat stubble with pre harvest round up on heavy soils ...... just saying .

Comment

Until it’s in the bin, have to say might be or potential yield. That said, more times than not, yields have exceeded expectations.
                              Trend lines say new records are made frequently and own farm experience supports that.
                              Not one single factor but a number including new varieties, better cultural practices and willingness to provide inputs necessary to grow high yields. Think bar has been raised for all of us.
                              For this year, things are looking good but it’s not in the bin.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...