• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who believes in DOT

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who believes in DOT

Will it eventually re shape the industry on large modern farms....do they just put gamers in an office to monitor these things....seems it won't refill itself....so you still need labour to do that job....

What are others thoughts...

Its seems there will always be the need for the human touch in agriculture...

And what do these things cost???

I am not being negative just asking the questions....alot of R&D has been put into this ....probably some taxpayer dollars as well...but what is the endgame...

Remember the Macleod harvester ????

Once farmers accept the technology, it will quickly be replaced with autonomous tractors that can both drive and be driven. And not running on extremely costly hydrostatic drive in a one of a kind chassis without a hitch - ridiculous. On many hills with a full seeder tank if it stopped quickly it would tip over.

Once legislation gets on this, it'll be as restrictive as drones unfortunately.

Here is the near future, farming as a service.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Will it eventually re shape the industry on large modern farms....do they just put gamers in an office to monitor these things....seems it won't refill itself....so you still need labour to do that job....

What are others thoughts...

Its seems there will always be the need for the human touch in agriculture...

And what do these things cost???

I am not being negative just asking the questions....alot of R&D has been put into this ....probably some taxpayer dollars as well...but what is the endgame...

Remember the Macleod harvester ????
      I am looking for a McLeod harvester, if anyone knows where there might be one hiding.

Comment

Concepts and ideals are one thing.

I thinks the risks and costs per acre will be too high initially making them cost prohibitive. We have too many costs that are too high already, compared to other countries.

Comment

Am I the only guy born in the wrong bloody generation?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            Am I the only guy born in the wrong bloody generation?
            Ive thought that lots but wrong century for me
            wouldnt it be nice if you could just walk out on the street and settle things once and for all
            Musta been a good , simple time without all this horseshit (sorry horse)
            Not having to worry that you might hurt someones feelings that you are indirectly supporting who doesnt feel they have to contribute to society

Comment

How do they deal with dozens of water holes in mud country?
              Last edited by Dr Tone; Jul 18, 2019, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
                How they deal with dozens of water holes in mud country?
                ...........that change size and shape every year. Do they use real time satellite imagery to avoid driving into spots they shouldn't? Nothing will replace human judgement..... mine doesn't even work right sometimes.

Comment

It might work for some..but we love driving our stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
                    How do they deal with dozens of water holes in mud country?
                    Could they be mapped with a quad or truck before seeder is in field, load field onto a stick and export to seeder. I can see some big advantages with DOT, especially with compaction, we are not helping ourselves running 30 tonne tractors and 1000 bushel carts.

Comment

Likely depends on where you are on the cost relationship between labor and technology.
                      30 years from now who knows.
                      I definitely see it coming if current trends continue.
                      I would rather have 3 30 ft drills than one 90 footer. Or 9 10 footers. (Works for the Chinese) Cheaper to build tractors and less employees.
                      Drone fly map in the morning, seed in the afternoon. Drone tractors.

Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are the growth sectors to watch.
                      Last edited by blackpowder; Jul 18, 2019, 14:16.

Comment

Did you see their test site?

Comment

In 10 years we’ll all be back to horses and oxen and fighting off hordes of starving city people anyway

Comment

Let me know how the first versions of these boat anchors work.....

Comment

I don’t think it will go anywhere. It’s not the tractor that replaced the horse. The way ag in canada is going maybe we should be buying horses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...