Rainfall to date ....

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Rainfall to date ....

Jul 14, 2019 | 06:23 1 We are sitting just around 3 in since May 6 when we started seeding .
Had the 4th rain in a row skirt us yet again last night . Some areas 1 in around us , less than 1/10 here again .
We could be on track to be the driest in the past 4 years .
Not full on drought but the 4th year in a row where we are at 50% of our usual long term average. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 06:27 2 About 5.75 inches since April 1st. Most of it coming after June 15.

Same as you Pharaoh, everything happened around us last night.

Edit in totals...
APRIL: .79
MAY: .51
JUNE: 2.73 (.25 on the 7th, the rest after the 19th)
JUly: 1.06

That was in the yard, the two remote gauges had less in them at times.
Totals don't add up but we may have missed writing down the real small showers.
Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 14, 2019 at 07:02.
  • 1 Like

• Jul 14, 2019 | 06:35 3 The biggest problem is there is no subsoil moisture...guys seeded in April then went 55 days without a rain .....it's short and the heads are short ....and now they are coming up on 25 days again without a rain....wheat and durum are blue....

The better later crops are going to meet the same fate....after those 25 days without rain....and it was 32c yesterday....can't even get kochia above the ankles.... Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 06:37 4 Furrow

What qualifies as a full on drought to you....

You have probably had less rain than 1988 for the last few years. ...

2018 we had less rain than 1988 and used up the subsoil. ...there is nothing in the tank.... Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:33 5
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Furrow

2018 we had less rain than 1988 and used up the subsoil. ...there is nothing in the tank....
    This is drought , just that the rains we had were late but still timely . And we had good subsoil partly due to the wreck at harvest last fall . So if you got good establishment this spring crops are ok here.
    If we farmed like 1988 it would be a wreck here .
    But our “fuel tank” is on E right now
    Last nights showers helped but the past few days the canola started dropping leaves already Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:34 6 Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 07:34 7 April 1 in
    May zip
    June 5
    July 1

So we’re siting at 7.

Last night south 1:7

Yard .67

North in last weeks rain area not much Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 07:43 8 Our 2018 wet fall snow soaked in. Yes no snow last winter froze the ground hard. I think that did more damage than the zero moisture in May.

Don’t no damage yet from last night bu I’m thinking the south weather station with 1.7 might have hail

No leaf drop our way.

32 above today push this sucker along.

Name:  3D073CC8-60D9-48E3-899A-1DC282602695.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  9A67B69F-20F4-4599-A322-25976EE8B4D1.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  20.8 KB Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:45 9 Furrow

Leaves are moisture reserves ...so if they are dropping leaves they are using up the jerry can in the box....to make it to the next station...

Where is the moisture to fill the pod????? Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:45 10
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    April 1 in
    May zip
    June 5
    July 1

So we’re siting at 7.

Last night south 1:7

Yard .67

North in last weeks rain area not much
    That is typically were we should be here
    But we have been 1/2 of that 4 years in a row now this time of year
    Hence zero fungicide for us Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:46 11 Saskfarmer

32C .....won't that blast the flowers? Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:47 12
    Furrow

Leaves are moisture reserves ...so if they are dropping leaves they are using up the jerry can in the box....to make it to the next station...

Where is the moisture to fill the pod?????
    Yup I know , our reserve used up
    Need a good rain next 72 hours or not much will fill very well . Been there , I know we’re sitting on an empty jerry can now .
    Hopefully tonight / tomorrow Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 07:48 13 Canola still won’t get fungicide as it isn’t a bin buster. Hrs yes it is getting on later seeded fields plus barley and peas. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 07:51 14 Yes you should see a blank for today when your looking at pods later on. The rain last night might save today’s blast.

Wet week next week looks to be shaping up.

Hope we all get a drink.

South of valley in early seeded wheat you could see different colour areas showing up on Friday. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:51 15
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Yup I know , our reserve used up
    Need a good rain next 72 hours or not much will fill very well . Been there , I know we’re sitting on an empty jerry can now .
    Hopefully tonight / tomorrow
    Sorry ....I just asked ...so the lurkers and youngings/yutes....understand the enormity that about to hit them when they get in their newly leased combines and the deals they signed for new sprayers and drills next year....

There is a world of hurt .....coming... Reply With Quote

• Jul 14, 2019 | 07:52 16 Last nights showers?????

We have nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days....I have wheat that is 4 leaf ( it won't make it...I know).....want to throw some broadleaf spray on it but don't think its worth it....it will get roundup eventually....if there was a rain possible I would give it the fertilizer...but I have been waiting for a good rain forecast to do it...its not there and its getting late....this crop is done..I have to concede...

Sadly crop insurance won't write it off , I could take it out and reseed to winter wheat or fall rye in August... Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:53 17 We finally were in the right spot at the right time. A really weird cloud formed out of nowhere Friday afternoon and gave us 1.75 inches at our yard. There was hail but at that point I didnt care. Last night we received another .55 of an inch so we are sitting ok. It should be enough to give us a crop. There was yield loss that was obviously happening before Friday but this has definitely pulled our feet from the fire. Sorry for this report for those who are still waiting. Reply With Quote

• Jul 14, 2019 | 07:53 18
    Furrow

2018 we had less rain than 1988 and used up the subsoil. ...there is nothing in the tank....
    One big thing as well , we have had no real heat yet and lots of cool nights .
    If we had even 4-5 days of heat before now there would be not much here Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 07:58 19 The temp difference between our area and north is really quite high.

Today without last nights rain would of set the crop starting to go backwards. Ground has moisture but top drying out. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 07:58 20
    Quote Originally Posted by grefer View Post
    We finally were in the right spot at the right time. A really weird cloud formed out of nowhere Friday afternoon and gave us 1.75 inches at our yard. There was hail but at that point I didnt care. Last night we received another .55 of an inch so we are sitting ok. It should be enough to give us a crop. There was yield loss that was obviously happening before Friday but this has definitely pulled our feet from the fire. Sorry for this report for those who are still waiting.
    I need 1/2 to 3/4 right now somehow.... 🤞

We are prodded well but need 💧to fill desperately Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 08:02 21 That’s the high water stage. Water fills pods and makes big seeds other wise pepper. Our next good rain event would be needed in three weeks to fill plump seeds. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 08:59 22 About 4" since May 1st but 3.6 of that after June 21. Really varies in even a mile, could be an inch more or less on the farm. 1/2" last night hard rain at times, lots of thunder. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 09:39 23 We are about 3" here also. Lots of rain around us but we only get the edge of the storms. Biggest rain of the summer was .8 and the rest of the of the rains have been .4 or less. Just lots of small showers. The crop looks decent because of good subsoil moisture and the cool temps so far. The crop has used up most of the available moisture and will need a rain soon.
    We have had more rain this year and better subsoil than we did in 88 and 02 and the temps have been a lot cooler and the is a lot better. Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 09:46 24 We at 5.5 inches for The yr..
    4 tenths last night.. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 09:48 25
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    We are about 3" here also. Lots of rain around us but we only get the edge of the storms. Biggest rain of the summer was .8 and the rest of the of the rains have been .4 or less. Just lots of small showers. The crop looks decent because of good subsoil moisture and the cool temps so far. The crop has used up most of the available moisture and will need a rain soon.
    We have had more rain this year and better subsoil than we did in 88 and 02 and the temps have been a lot cooler and the is a lot better.
    Pretty much exactly as here .
    You don’t have to go far , 10-15 min drive and rainfall totals are 50% higher Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 09:55 26 We are at 5.5 inches.....3.5 came on June 21 in 6 hours....and as much as everyone thinks it will soak in ...they are wrong it sloughs and then it soaks in after done drowning out the potholes....

In reality over the majority of the acres we might have 2 inches in the ground....its right ****ed....or will be.... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 14, 2019 | 11:15 27 Totals have been very variable, but over our acres, we’ve had anywhere between 6-9.5” since before the Apr 27 snowstorm. Some in our area would be over that, depending on where storms have tracked. We had some fall rains, and a decent snowcover. If one had good emergence, things are looking pretty good. There is very little canola on lentil stubble that came up evenly. It’s looking better now that it’s rained and is flowering, but there is a lot of patches that are full of 3 week old canola. Not many swathers around anymore. Group 2 chem damage from 2018 and even 2017 applications in pulses are prevalent, especially canola and barley. Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 14, 2019 | 11:18 28 Lots of shit showing up from other years in fields. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 19:00 29 About 3 inches total. See a lot of guys are much more than that. Reply With Quote
    Jul 14, 2019 | 19:37 30 We wont be much over 2" of meaningful rain here since snow melt. Grass seed is very poor but somehow the rest of the crops still look pretty good. For now.. Reply With Quote