• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me what happens when....???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Isn't that what crop insurance is for?

I don't use it other than for the corn we grow but I looked at one of our quarters to theoretically grow canola on this year. Probable yield is 38.9bu for this quarter, $value for coverage is $10.89/bu if you take 80% coverage the premium was $5.05/acre giving you $338.88/acre coverage if you have a total loss. Having this kind of protection surely mitigates a lot of the risk, no?
    Yes it does. It's an incredibly valuable tax payer subsidized welfare program guaranteeing an income. Farmers are so very fortunate to have it, unlike pretty much every other business.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
      Yes it does. It's an incredibly valuable tax payer subsidized welfare program guaranteeing an income. Farmers are so very fortunate to have it, unlike pretty much every other business.
      Oh please spare us the bullshit every business has access to a multitude of employment and other subsidized programs and insurance on inventory etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
        Oh please spare us the bullshit every business has access to a multitude of employment and other subsidized programs and insurance on inventory etc etc.
        Actually that's the bullshit line. I'm sure Walmart does, but not businesses comparable to farming. You have insurance on your equipment as well. A ski hill can't get insurance if it doesn't snow. Farming is unique.

Tell me one other business with production/income insurance let alone heavily subsidized.

Comment

Actually that's the bullshit line. I'm sure Walmart does, but not businesses comparable to farming. You have insurance on your equipment as well. A ski hill can't get insurance if it doesn't snow. Farming is unique.

Tell me one other business with production/income insurance let alone heavily subsidized.
          Apples and oranges they set their price, their inventory doesn’t freeze in August or hail out any day if the year. Nor do they get one chance a year to grow an inventory yet have expenses all year. We can live without sking, wars are started over no food. It’s been taken for granted by too many partly allowed to do so because of some like you that don’t respect what it takes to farm compared to other industries. How many ski resorts are there? How many other people rely on ski resort to function compared to one single farm? Do you actually farm? How much pst, fuel tax other tax does a farm pay? Our society is subsidized by farmers every day they eat food. The difference is other countries are subsidizing their farmers here we subsidize the country. Greedy, dumb and bought off politicians have allowed others to take the profit control out of the hands of farmers by seed taxes price manipulation patent rights etc etc.

Yes you can make it snow. lol
          Last edited by the big wheel; Jul 14, 2019, 02:07.

Comment

Now you're just being ridiculous, most businesses can't just 'set their prices'. Saying a ski hill can just make snow is like saying you can just make rain.

Farming has become next to risk free with all the subsidies and welfare payments, programs, purple gas in the Escalade, farm plates on the car, gst back, and a million other things most family businesses could only dream of.

So quit your whining.

Comment

Oh wow.

Comment

Is that you Austranada???

Comment

Now you're just being ridiculous, most businesses can't just 'set their prices'. Saying a ski hill can just make snow is like saying you can just make rain.

Farming has become next to risk free with all the subsidies and welfare payments, programs, purple gas in the Escalade, farm plates on the car, gst back, and a million other things most family businesses could only dream of.

So quit your whining.
                  Other business do set their prices to cover their costs....its the consumer that decides if its worth or not...

And some businesses are supported by provincial lotteries....the one I just seen fails me but i found it interesting the sasklotteries had money into it...

Or else you are just being sarcastic and everyone missed it?????

Comment

So quit your whining.
                    I certainly appreciate the Sask party ag department for posting their thoughts!!!
                    Thank you very much!

Comment

tweety, the canola industry sets their royalties on seed which pay back the so called research in like a few yrs and then its 18 yrs of gravy profit after that. They set their price.

Comment

To me the simple fact primary Ag production is insurable portrays the insane risk taken to produce an essential of life and to keep those people stupid enough to take that risk in the game if something disasterous happens!

Comment

So quit your whining.
                          Risk free you say, subsidies, welfare payments. Almost choked on my tea lol. If I look at cost per acre to grow canola with everything including rent, labor, depreciation all in it is well in excess of $300 dollars. Of those costs we have dyed fuel, crop insurance and gst back(all businesses get that on eligible expenses). My crop insurance is $25 an acre on canola and fuel costs last year across the farm worked out to roughly $16 an acre. So if my total cost to grow canola is $350, and my subsidized inputs are $41 then 11.7% of my inputs are subsidized. As far as GST there is no gst on seed, spray, equipment, fertilizer. As far as skiing the closest ski hill to me used to $20 a day when I was young, 35 years ago, now roughly double that and they are on a river and in years of no snowfall make their own snow. Tweety take the chip off your shoulder and enjoy your day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                            Risk free you say, subsidies, welfare payments. Almost choked on my tea lol. If I look at cost per acre to grow canola with everything including rent, labor, depreciation all in it is well in excess of $300 dollars. Of those costs we have dyed fuel, crop insurance and gst back(all businesses get that on eligible expenses). My crop insurance is $25 an acre on canola and fuel costs last year across the farm worked out to roughly $16 an acre. So if my total cost to grow canola is $350, and my subsidized inputs are $41 then 11.7% of my inputs are subsidized. As far as GST there is no gst on seed, spray, equipment, fertilizer. As far as skiing the closest ski hill to me used to $20 a day when I was young, 35 years ago, now roughly double that and they are on a river and in years of no snowfall make their own snow. Tweety take the chip off your shoulder and enjoy your day.
                            That's my point Hamloc - all your costs in you are at $350 - if you suffer total loss you essentially get your money back don't you? If you hadn't crop insurance, laid out $350/acre, had a total loss then you've lost $350/acre. That's the scenario that puts guys out of business and crashes land prices.

Comment

Article in past week Western Producer says AgGrowthCoalition is meeting this week in Quebec City.
                              Coalition includes major grain and general farm organizations.
                              For past year, government officials have been looking at BRMs and are to report next week.
                              Sask official previously said he did not expect changes during five year term of Canadian Agricultural Partnership ending March31, 2023.
                              Let’s wait to see what, if anything, comes out of this meeting.

Comment

If all the other businesses are so much better, why farm? Do you just like complaining that much?

Or maybe because its a rock solid way of accumulating wealth.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...