• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Bourgault, Seed Hawk, Morris, etc.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Furrow has found the answer for his farm but everyone has different soil that they have to deal with. Its really hard to compare drills that run in different areas.
    Leave my farm and travel north a few miles and across a river and all of a sudden perfect germ and it doesn't matter what drill they used. The land gets a lot lighter as you go north and on a dry spring that will really show up.
    It is just hard to pack wet cay and hold moisture long enough to get the seed germinated. In the old days we would pre work fields so we would have some dry dirt on top the wet clay and that will seal better.

Comment

Originally posted by quadtrac View Post
      To each their own.... get a kick outa guys bashing the “million dollar” outfits seeding next to them. How’s it effected you in a negative way? I’m sure you ain’t jealous so what’s the problem?
      Didnt mean to come across that way quad , just surprised here at how poor a job some did with them here . Thats a lot of money and i have never had one but i thought a lot of the guesswork was removed with the way they are set up ?
      And some adverts are annoying to say the least . Just thinking they might wanna put their money where their mouth is when theyre bashing everyone that doesnt have one

Comment

Another interesting thing that happened here this spring is that fields that were protilled in fall were way worse for cutworms

Comment

To each their own.... get a kick outa guys bashing the “million dollar” outfits seeding next to them. How’s it effected you in a negative way? I’m sure you ain’t jealous so what’s the problem?
          Actually it's a positive way.we didn't get screwed by paying big bucks to get the same yield or less.
          The chicken hawk drill next fence line over has never had a better crop than us..

Comment

It does affect us. It pushes the technology with limited upside and then the simpler equipment gets discontinued or unsupported. If any company does still make a simpler drill, those things are now priced at 30% of the independent opener, so that's still $100K or higher for older technology.

Same thing as sprayers. We use a pull type which is dead simple and was cheap but to replace that now would be the same price that HCs used to sell for a decade ago. It still just some fiberglass and a simple iron frame.

The ever increasing equip costs have to stop or it will just be Monette farming the entire province.
            Last edited by jazz; Jul 11, 2019, 20:20.

Comment

Too many factors at play to blame any specific type or brand of seeder. How do you explain my neighbors results....same drill seeded all his acres with different results. Soil type, topography, soil moisture, operator, bugs, frost, you name it.

Not that easy.

Comment

Here, for a while now it's been field prep. Hawks are great, but part of the reason is that you have to get your ground like a pool table first.
                Sold my 5710 last month.
                Couldn't keep it level enough and had enough of coulters.
                Looking at a Case 700. Thoughts??

Started drone flying fields this summer. Plain as hell how even old trash issues show up at 300 ft.

Comment

Wow is this what this site is becoming? Cut down guys because they have newer equipment than you? Wow....fields in our area are all over the map...new machines have good and bad fields....5710 and 5810s also have good and bad fields.

Comment

No rain no grain .

Comment

My drill is better than your drill.......

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        Here, for a while now it's been field prep. Hawks are great, but part of the reason is that you have to get your ground like a pool table first.
                        Sold my 5710 last month.
                        Couldn't keep it level enough and had enough of coulters.
                        Looking at a Case 700. Thoughts??

Started drone flying fields this summer. Plain as hell how even old trash issues show up at 300 ft.
                        Residue management is huge. Shit still shows up from years ago.

Honest to goodness I think the operator has more to do with final results than most anything...

Mother nature deals you a certain set of cards every year, its knowing how best to play them that matters most.

Two things ive heard over the years that stand out for me with regards to what were talking about:
                        1) "Two feet with a heartbeat" can keep a tractor seat warm,
                        2) if you worry about getting better, bigger will take care of itself. It doesnt work the other way around.

Alot, but not all, of these local heroes need bodies to fill seats because they dont think they have the luxury of time. Primarily because they seem to think that getting bigger will make them better.

Even if the owner is experienced, who has the time to constantly be babysitting and adjusting every fine detail on a BTO? Alot of these new machines are meant to cover acres with the lowest common denominators behind the wheel. When mother nature throws you a 2 and a high card that are unsuited, odds are you're gonna get paddled if you're letting a novice make your decisions for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                          My drill is better than your drill.......
                          Just a little play on hardy's "rednecker than you" especially for agriville...

So you think you've got some farmer cred
                          'Cause you own an air drill or two
                          You got a John deere hat on top of your head
                          And an "authentic farmer" tatoo

Yeah you might a drilled a little canola seed
                          Or hauled a little grain but if you think your pants
                          Got more grease than mine I got one thing to say...

My drills better than your drill
                          And I got a bigger combine in my shed
                          Got a little more grain in my bin
                          Y'all I got a little better hair on my chin
                          My lands better than your land
                          And my coveralls a little more blue
                          You might think that you're farmer
                          But I'm a better farmer than you.
                          Yes I am!

Comment

I wouldn’t trade my disc drill for anything. More maintenance for sure but worth every $ and minute we spend on it.

Comment

"Sold my 5710 last month.
                              Couldn't keep it level enough and had enough of coulters."

BP, leveled our 5710 in 2009, never adjusted since, still seeds perfectly level and front to back. Don't get your issue. Oh and only single shoot, simple, half the hoses, pulls easier, maybe that was your trouble maker.

Any opener with a deeper fertilizer delivery and side banded seed is a MESS in Canola in this area. Plus depth checking adjusting is critical. Absolutely poorest crop is a Morris Contour with that wing opener. Several farms , so it MUST be the drill as it is setup/equipped. Our OLD worthless 5710 with BG depth gauge, that I use and adjust constantly as terrain changes is every bit as consistent a crop emergence as all others.
                              Agree 1/2" soil over seed even if into moisture dose not work guys, in this kind of year.

Neighbor with a 40' 8810, 1" openers and poly packers on 8" spacing, all pre-worked with NH3, harrow packed ahead of the 8810 has excellent looking evenly emerged crops. Talk about a LOW COST simple unit.

A 1/2" rain fixes all...never happened this year. This has happened before, will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                                It does affect us. It pushes the technology with limited upside and then the simpler equipment gets discontinued or unsupported. If any company does still make a simpler drill, those things are now priced at 30% of the independent opener, so that's still $100K or higher for older technology.

Same thing as sprayers. We use a pull type which is dead simple and was cheap but to replace that now would be the same price that HCs used to sell for a decade ago. It still just some fiberglass and a simple iron frame.

The ever increasing equip costs have to stop or it will just be Monette farming the entire province.
                                Do not cheap out on the sprayer. It’s the most important machine on the farm. Make sure you get the 3 sets of tires and strobe lights and shit. It’s most important.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...