Bit wet in S MB

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Bit wet in S MB

Jul 10, 2019 | 05:36 1 I think we'll be Ok for moisture now. 4.25" here since yesterday mid morning! YR.NO was predicting 3.5" as far back as Saturday, Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning yesterday mid afternoon for as much as 2" in places. I welcome it for the grass and our farm in general but the flooding in the basement not so much. How big an area in SE SK/MB got wet as it seemed widespread on the radar? Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2019 | 05:38 2
Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
I think we'll be Ok for moisture now. 4.25" here since yesterday mid morning! YR.NO was predicting 3.5" as far back as Saturday, Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning yesterday mid afternoon for as much as 2" in places. I welcome it for the grass and our farm in general but the flooding in the basement not so much. How big an area in SE SK/MB got wet as it seemed widespread on the radar?
About 3.5" here since Sunday. first 1"+ rain in 2 years. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • farmaholic's Avatar Jul 10, 2019 | 06:43 3 That is alot of rain at one time, especially over a 24 hour period. You would have to have special conditions for that much rain not to pool.

    A world of extremes. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 10, 2019 | 07:01 4 That kind of rain event would have flooded out more acres. I'll take the Zero we got and be happy. To those who got good rain to watch things grow with the plus 30 on way. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 07:28 5 That system was stalled over southern MB and looked like a pump sucking up moisture from Minneapolis and south. I can smell the mushrooms popping from Regina👍 Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 07:36 6
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    That kind of rain event would have flooded out more acres. I'll take the Zero we got and be happy. To those who got good rain to watch things grow with the plus 30 on way.
    Plus 30 ?????
    Are you hogging all the heat since April was warmer here than it currently is and has been in most of a month.



    Haven’t got any hay down yet and don’t think there’ll be any coming down for a while. The few fields that are down in the neighbourhood are very well rinsed out already. The corn is shivering patiently awaiting the sun ......... hopefully it comes out sometime soon. 🍀 Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 07:38 7
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    That is alot of rain at one time, especially over a 24 hour period. You would have to have special conditions for that much rain not to pool.

    A world of extremes.
    That's the funny thing - there isn't that much pooled - apart from in the f'kn basement. Sloughs are topped up but lot spots in the pasture are generally dry. This picture was taken on a bit higher ground but I just moved 65 pairs through the gap between me and the quad and they never made a mark. Permanent pasture can handle a lot of water - no doubt my corn will have water sitting in every low spot.

    Name:  IMG_7178.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  96.5 KB Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 08:34 8 Here in the RRV we got 1.5 inches, about 40 Kms north of U.S. border. First decent rain since seeding, before that in June we had a 4/10 and and a 3 weeks later 6/10. Been hot and dry. This was much needed.
    Crops been hanging on, but was dry a long ways down. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 09:24 9 200mm june 76mm sofar in july lots of crops suffering,little spraying done,weeds will be a large problem,hay is better quanty but quality is going to be very poor,but will be lots of stuff,dont think we will be haying before the end of july. Be a good yr for the grinders. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 12:38 10
    Quote Originally Posted by samhill View Post
    Here in the RRV we got 1.5 inches, about 40 Kms north of U.S. border. First decent rain since seeding, before that in June we had a 4/10 and and a 3 weeks later 6/10. Been hot and dry. This was much needed.
    Crops been hanging on, but was dry a long ways down.
    You're exactly straight east of me then. It's weird looking at the rainfall totals, maybe not as big a general rain as I thought. See lots of 1/2" and 1" totals not far from us - like 15-40 kms away. Guess we must have been the bullseye this time. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 13:41 11
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    That's the funny thing - there isn't that much pooled - apart from in the f'kn basement. Sloughs are topped up but lot spots in the pasture are generally dry. This picture was taken on a bit higher ground but I just moved 65 pairs through the gap between me and the quad and they never made a mark. Permanent pasture can handle a lot of water - no doubt my corn will have water sitting in every low spot.

    Name:  IMG_7178.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  96.5 KB
    Nice looking pasture.🍀

    Seeing the electric fence posts on your quad reminds of one fellow who used to carry them in a bundle off the right side of his quad so he could pull or push them in without getting off. One time as he got off some posts jumped out of place and jammed the throttle wide open. He said it sunk in the neighbours slough after going across the road and through two fences. Sometimes 💩 happens. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 16:28 12 Sorry for my ignorance grass but that what Salvages your previously poor season, or just gives you some breathing space or if you have a indian summer and season extends it will be almost normal? Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 16:43 13 I have them bungy corded on Woodland. I'm worse for having reels bump off the front than posts so I bungy them too now.

    Mallee, it'll do the plants a lot of good in terms of recovering from the drought - will strengthen them greatly for next year. It'll grow us a lot more for the next month than we'd otherwise expect but grass growth here is very seasonal due to the climate so we lost some early June grass growth that we'll never get back. Typically we grow 70% of the year's grass by July 1st. It'll grow now through September but not the way it does in early June. Still, can't complain our grass is awesome compared to what it was a month ago. Should be enough time and moisture to make a corn crop but it's been slow with first dry, then cool - it needs the heat and no early frost. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 17:25 14
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I have them bungy corded on Woodland. I'm worse for having reels bump off the front than posts so I bungy them too now.

    Mallee, it'll do the plants a lot of good in terms of recovering from the drought - will strengthen them greatly for next year. It'll grow us a lot more for the next month than we'd otherwise expect but grass growth here is very seasonal due to the climate so we lost some early June grass growth that we'll never get back. Typically we grow 70% of the year's grass by July 1st. It'll grow now through September but not the way it does in early June. Still, can't complain our grass is awesome compared to what it was a month ago. Should be enough time and moisture to make a corn crop but it's been slow with first dry, then cool - it needs the heat and no early frost.
    the canola and cereal stands are average, but if we didnt get that rain, the crops would not have filled seed. this will really benefit later crops like soybeans and corn. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 10, 2019 | 21:41 15
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    Nice looking pasture.🍀

    Seeing the electric fence posts on your quad reminds of one fellow who used to carry them in a bundle off the right side of his quad so he could pull or push them in without getting off. One time as he got off some posts jumped out of place and jammed the throttle wide open. He said it sunk in the neighbours slough after going across the road and through two fences. Sometimes 💩 happens.
    I have found the quad to be an excellent tool for making long handled spades into short handled spades. Also works well for cow chasing sticks, rakes, stakes etc. It is however not very effective at doing the same to fence posts, or T bars etc. When they contact a tree, they are more likely to swing around and smash the driver in the back, which generally causes him/her to hit the throttle even harder, which doesn't help the situation at all.

    Glad you finally got some rain Grassfarmer, that is long overdue, never too much rain when growing grass. Reply With Quote
    Jul 10, 2019 | 22:34 16 When you say July1 for 70% of the grass , do you have any Meadow Brome or Legumes that you count in that?

    When we had Dehy plants here they used to make great effort to get first cut off by July 20 in order to get a good yield on the higher value 2nd and third cut Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2019 | 04:49 17 We have some meadow brome here and some high proportion alfalfa pastures. Sure the alfalfa produces through a longer season. It's basic plant physiology though - the grass plants want to grow, then form a seed head then quit growing leaves/stem for the year as their job is done - same as a cereal crop. Grasses like smooth brome can get that done well before the longest day so later season growth is limited. Reply With Quote