Canola

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Canola

Jul 8, 2019 | 14:20 1 Ran down to Regina on the weekend and went south on highway 6 and returned on highway 35 and holy crap there is really no canola worth having anywhere along that eastern Sask. corridor! Some nice in this far NE corner and a few decent fields Rose Valley to Archerwill. A little better right around Regina.
That's a big area that grows a lot of big yields most years that isn't going to do it this year from what I saw.
Is there nice canola anywhere? If things don't look better somewhere I don't think there will be much canola even with China out of the market. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 14:41 2 But the market (already) knows, that's why I am getting sub $9.00/bu fall delivery text bids!
Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 8, 2019 at 14:50.
  • 1 Like

• farmaholic's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 14:48 3

Ghetto yellow mustard....but of course I took the picture of one of the best spots like everyone else does. There is some tough looking spots in the fields.

Our canola seems slow...Nexera. Even the other people's canola that looked further behind is catching up and passing it. They say the Nexera is a different canola. They say it's hybrid and probably came a long way from it's advent but probably will never compete with other type's top genetics. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 8, 2019 | 15:15 4 Seldom you obviously didnt drive by my farm. I have an awesome crop coming if it stays frost free until Dec 1. Reply With Quote

• Jul 8, 2019 | 16:40 5 If you take #1 to 210 and head east, that is indicative of the bomper crap we have around here. It is a crying shame😭 Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 16:47 6
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post

Ghetto yellow mustard....but of course I took the picture of one of the best spots like everyone else does. There is some tough looking spots in the fields.

Our canola seems slow...Nexera. Even the other people's canola that looked further behind is catching up and passing it. They say the Nexera is a different canola. They say it's hybrid and probably came a long way from it's advent but probably will never compete with other type's top genetics.
    We have been growing 1012 was a good yielder but really slow
    Im sure not impressed with this 1026 at all Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 16:52 7 Farma I am not sure where the Ghetto is but i did notice a few nice field between Regina and the Fort and i kind of think that might be close?

Jazz that is how most fields are all the way down and all the way back so your not alone! Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 17:26 8
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Farma I am not sure where the Ghetto is but i did notice a few nice field between Regina and the Fort and i kind of think that might be close?

Jazz that is how most fields are all the way down and all the way back so your not alone!
    If you took the 35 from Weyburn to Fort Qu'Appelle.... you could see Ghetto Central from the 35 Highway....but you have to know what your looking for and where.

You never missed much! Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 17:37 9 So you guys are saying it's a bumper crop right?

Just wondering because we are short on another predicted half inch rain from last weekend....

Guys are spending trying to save a crop that has zero moisture left already... Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 17:55 10 Any noticeable difference in varieties?
    Our 7565 is doing real well compared to the newest and greatest truflex 92sc.. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 18:07 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post
    Any noticeable difference in varieties?
    Our 7565 is doing real well compared to the newest and greatest truflex 92sc..
    Truflex is slow compared to 7565. Have some side by side. Tale will tell at the pit. I don’t make any assumptions till then. Remember 7345 would grow 2 feet high, look like crap, fall over, and still run 40+. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 19:51 12 I have come to the conclusion that you can’t make this crop turn around. If it looks like shit and smells like shit it’s shit and just move on.

Last section getting sprayed today with final liberty application.

I sent all the fungicides back to the dealer today for canola. It’s a uneven shit show.

Fungicides for hrs might go back as we have rows on early wheat. Late fields will get as they are normal.

Barley just because will get sprayed it’s ok.

Peas were sprayed.

Delivery truck was full of product going back and I wasn’t the only guy doing this.

2020 here we come.
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 8, 2019 | 19:54 13 Oh yea one more thing

T H E M A R K E T K N O W S J A C K S H I T.

It’s a game and farmers aren’t going to win. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 20:01 14 Lots of terrible canola.But the flax is just as bad.Flax may have more upside with some bad acres over canola. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 20:23 15 Lots of decent looking crops including canola around Edmonton. Some drowned out though, early stuff is flowering hard. I've got some Pioneer 501 and L255PC beside some flowering L241C. I had to have a hard look at it because I thought I smoked it with centurion, liberty and facet but no they are just slow. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 20:29 16 I wanted some of my fields written off....crop insurance doesn't do that....I want to move on and get setup for next year. ...

It's going to get a pass of roundup eventually...

You can't go 57 days without a rain then get 3 inches in 6 hours and think it's going to make it...

My crops will look like the early seeded ones soon....because the moisture is gone.... Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:09 17 How do I know things are bad? Because Nutrien actually picks up the phone and calls a small fry like me asking how its going and if I need anything.

The majority of this crop aborted its reproductive stage when it didn't get rain for nearly 6 weeks after planting. Plants are way smarted than some of our elected leaders.
    Last edited by jazz; Jul 8, 2019 at 21:11.
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:32 18 had a nice half section get nailed today with hail , probably 40% Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:41 19
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    had a nice half section get nailed today with hail , probably 40%
    That was one ugly looking storm this afternoon and it just slipped north of my place! Very Thankful Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:50 20
    That was one ugly looking storm this afternoon and it just slipped north of my place! Very Thankful
    aylsham Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:51 21 This is different than Tweeter because everyone on there has pictures of fungicide going on the nicest crops! There must be some nice somewhere?
    The market must watch tweeter. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 21:54 22 Around here, canola is the miracle crop. Ten days ago, I would have given it a sf3 three out of ten. Most was not visible from the road and looked barren. After the sudden wicked growth the last week n half, I give it an eight plus. This canola crop has recovered marvellously relative to how it looked before. Sure there is some that is suffering, but overall there is some amazingly nice canola around. I never would have thought it ten days ago, that’s for darn certain. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2019 | 22:18 23
    This is different than Tweeter because everyone on there has pictures of fungicide going on the nicest crops! There must be some nice somewhere?
    The market must watch tweeter.
    Was looking at Twitter the other day and guys were posting pics of pallets of fungicide they took to the farm....should a guy post pics of the fuel truck when it fills up the tanks in the yard...definitely some real simpletons out there. Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 9, 2019 | 05:06 24 I agree with you on the Twitter thing.

A thin crop you can see two gophers going at it a mile away and the guy is applying fungicide. Like your real special aren’t you. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Jul 9, 2019 | 06:32 25 Fungicide...

Did the peas. Will do the flax to keep it standing for straight cutting. Everything else will be going without.
    Some wheat will already be in, or very shortly approaching, the "too late" stage but application timing would have been pretty easy because of pretty even staging. Canola canopy is a bit "airy".

Why "hour-up" a sprayer when I don't THINK it warrants it. Spend a bunch of money for no benefit. And select for fungicide resistance applying it when it really doesn't need it.

I've even taken the previous years' crop rotations into consideration.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 9, 2019 at 06:41.
    helmsdale's Avatar Jul 9, 2019 | 06:52 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodtime View Post
    Was looking at Twitter the other day and guys were posting pics of pallets of fungicide they took to the farm....should a guy post pics of the fuel truck when it fills up the tanks in the yard...definitely some real simpletons out there.
    "Just spraying a little #mostexpensivefungicide, on our #latestgreatestvariety with the ol #brandnewhighclearance. #westcdnag #deere #chemproduct #livinthedream #agmorethanever #spray2019

Insert picture of pallet of the chem, new deere/patriot, new peterbilt and Denali 1/2 or 3/4 ton in the background by brand new shop with combines off in distance"

Basically ag Twitter these days... Reply With Quote

• farmaholic's Avatar Jul 9, 2019 | 07:06 27 It's all a big ego stroking competition, LOOK AT ME!!

I only do Agriville, that's enough for me and all I can take some days. Reply With Quote
    Jul 9, 2019 | 07:14 28 Tremendous variability here this year
    This spring was very unforgiving, more so than I’ve seen in years.
    Add that to some ineffective seed treatment and it has lead to some train wrecks.

Side by side , there is lots of this around
    Establishment was critical this year in most areas Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 9, 2019 | 07:16 29
    Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
    "Just spraying a little #mostexpensivefungicide, on our #latestgreatestvariety with the ol #brandnewhighclearance. #westcdnag #deere #chemproduct #livinthedream #agmorethanever #spray2019

Insert picture of pallet of the chem, new deere/patriot, new peterbilt and Denali 1/2 or 3/4 ton in the background by brand new shop with combines off in distance"

Basically ag Twitter these days...
    Also saw #nolakeformethisweekend posted by a few fungicide high rollers. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 9, 2019 | 07:18 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post
    Any noticeable difference in varieties?
    Our 7565 is doing real well compared to the newest and greatest truflex 92sc..
    pioneer P501L did really well here Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like