• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National fiscal transfers hurt all regions of Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone reasonably well-dressed comes up to you on the street and asks, "Say, can you spare $1,000?" what's your answer?

Okay, suppose you resist the impulse to laugh in his face. Suppose you ask what he needs it for, and he says, "Well, you have more money than I do, so you owe it to me."

You might think this little scenario could never happen, but it's how Ottawa's been running the country for the last 40 years.

Ottawa takes over $9 billion a year ($1 million an hour) more out of Alberta than it returns in federal spending. The only other net contributor to national coffers is Ontario. B.C. is break-even. Everyone else takes more from Ottawa than they pay in.

This federal siphoning is usually referred to as "equalization," which is not completely accurate. The federal program known as "fiscal equalization" is actually just one federal transfer system among many. The EI program, the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Health and Social Transfer, and others are all deliberately skewed to shift federal money from the "have" regions that produce it to the "have-not" regions that want it.

The Alberta Residents League has just released an "equalization" opinion survey of 1,274 Albertans taken earlier this month by JMCK Polling. Here's what it found out.

If you sit 10 Albertans down at random, seven of them think Albertans pay too much, and would either cut the amount in half or eliminate it entirely.

Two valid criticisms can be directed at national wealth transfers. They diminish the two regions that have to pay them, obviously. But they're also bad--if not worse--for the regions that receive them, because through enforced redistribution they entrench a kind of permanent welfare mentality.

Saskatchewan, for instance, has pretty much shut down its oil patch, because any surplus flowing to the provincial government comes off its equalization welfare cheque from Ottawa.

Brian Crowley, president of the Halifax-based Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, told a business audience in Regina a year ago that if the billions given to the maritime provinces in the past 30 years had been put in a bank it would now exceed $1 trillion. Overall, he said, the transfers have done more harm than good.

Some transfers subsidize new business activity, while others subsidize worker inactivity. This is blatantly self-defeating.

It makes no more sense to give people EI benefits to keep them fishing a few weeks of the year, said Crowley, than it would to give grain farmers EI because they can't farm in the winter.

Another think-tanker, Peter Holle of Winnipeg's Frontier Centre for Public Policy, was in Calgary two weeks ago chiding his Alberta audience for wrecking the economy of Manitoba by being so generous.

He talked about the "fly-paper effect" of government transfers. Ottawa taxes the money out of businesses and consumers in Alberta and Ontario, and transfers it to the government of Manitoba. Almost none gets beyond the public sector and its immediate clients. The result is that voters and politicians alike always look to governments for solutions to problems.

Albertans will find that the only argument that can possibly succeed against this entrenched welfarism is to point out how bad it is for the whole country, and how far we are falling behind the U.S., Europe and Asia.

This is one area where the Alberta government really could take a leadership role, and start a national discussion.

As the ARL poll shows, the message would go down well at home. And it might start waking up other Canadians, too.

- Link Byfield

Ivebinconned: While I might agree with Byfield on a lot of things, I would suggest that Albertans must support these transfers in a big way? After all they keep voting in Ralph and his gang? Ralph Klein continues to do everything in his power to cave in more and more to Ottawa? Oh sure, every once in a while he says something outrageous that sounds tough, but he never really acts on it?
    In the last year he had the travelling gong show going around asking Albertans if they thought we needed to do some basic changes on how we deal with Ottawa...you know the pension deal, police, collecting income taxes? While this process was going on he was making comments that showed he had no intention of carrying out anything the people might want! So why did he bother in the first place? Did some of his cronies need a summer job or something?

Comment

You are absolutly right cowman. It is a sad commintary on the masses when they can be satisfied with words, and ignor actions.

Comment

It was said the other day that if you ran a straw bail as consertive in alta it would win with out a doubt.
        Its been 40 yrs of consertive gov in alta and every one says we have the best, I wonder compared to what Dave Rutherford trys to compare to sask and B.C. and the feds but I think even the people of alta see that as just a smoke screen. but they will vote P>C> again and again. Now im not one for braging much but even I could run this province with all the money it should bring in if ralph and co would get fair market value for our resources.
        I would like to know how much a barrel of 38$ oil we get as compared to 12$ oil. They pay the lease holders to put cows out on crown land while the rest of us have to pay full recovery costs on gov services then if we were to add all the S.N.A.F.U money that has gone in the last 20 yr now the cows and fish while they let friends put cows out west and shit in all the creeks and tramp in the banks .
        If this is the best Alta has to offer then it is time to leave .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...