• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure what to do with this

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to do with this

Took this picture tonight. This field received it's third tenth of rain since the snow flew.

Think I am going to wait until mid next week and then see what kind of a mood crap insurance is in.

Jesus man.....you have establishment if you get a decent rain wouldn't there be some potential.

Comment

Crops look a lot worse here.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Jesus man.....you have establishment if you get a decent rain wouldn't there be some potential.
        Usually it has been flowering for a week already. Not sure how it will miss a fall frost. Likely 2 1/2 weeks behind.

Plus I was too embarrassed to show some of worse stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          Took this picture tonight. This field received it's third tenth of rain since the snow flew.

Think I am going to wait until mid next week and then see what kind of a mood crap insurance is in.
          That canola? You are not sure what to do? Guys around here are spraying crops smaller than that and praying a frost doesn't hit until Sept 25.

Comment

Don't sweat it. There are guys with million dollar drills around me this year that couldn't get it up.

Comment

Most of it looks like this.

Comment

I'll get it right eventually.

Comment

Usually it has been flowering for a week already. Not sure how it will miss a fall frost. Likely 2 1/2 weeks behind.

I hear you.....and yikes(worse).

When I see some other people's canola it makes me want to slit my wrists. Mother Torture is picking winners and losers, your grocery bill and effort could have been equal to some one who has a calendar picture perfect crop but if your stars didn't line up that's not your fault. Farming requires knowledge, skill and attention to detail but sometimes you can't do enough or you're NOT "lucky"(remember grassy?).

Do your best forget the rest and have a plan B.

Take care.

Comment

I'll get it right eventually.
                    Ya, that's a different story.

I have some stuff I'm not proud of either but there is potential. Just ****ing hard to look at and probably will be until after harvest.

I don't have solid rows through out the fields and some thin patches and the odd bald patch.

Seeded some canola on flax stubble....disced a wee bit on the quarter, less than afew select "small" areas. Had to spread some ground piles from flax windrow bunching...."very" light shallow cultivation(barely considered). Made a narrow fireguard against my neighbour's wheat stubble with a 14 foot spiked cultivator...SHALLOWLY. Anywhere the ground was disturbed....poor establishment, it's so obvious. How do the vertical tillers get away with it? Do they pack that well? One year my neighbour used the Protill, you could see where they went, like cutting with a knife.....they blamed cutworms...lol.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 26, 2019, 21:17.

Comment

. Farming requires knowledge, skill and attention to detail but sometimes you can't do enough or you're NOT "lucky"(remember grassy?).
                      I have a neighbor that ONLY seeds canola into wheat stubble, never into anything else just to take advantage of that little bit of spring moisture. He never takes a chance on getting a rain. Guys like me seeded into dry as popcorn flax stubble this yr. Others seeded into dust in lentil stubble. Those crops are 2 weeks behind the rest now. Never have I waited 8 weeks to get a first rain.

Comment

If you can average something in the middle of the 2 pics for plants/sqft. You're laughing as far as establishment goes. You got the establishment, you got the yield coverage, at this point, id take it to yield, it's clean and isn't gonna cost you another $75 to reseed, or whatever the number is. Reseed pays 1 in 10 imo.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          I have a neighbor that ONLY seeds canola into wheat stubble, never into anything else just to take advantage of that little bit of spring moisture. He never takes a chance on getting a rain. Guys like me seeded into dry as popcorn flax stubble this yr. Others seeded into dust in lentil stubble. Those crops are 2 weeks behind the rest now. Never have I waited 8 weeks to get a first rain.
                          Here the canola on durum stubble looks just as bad if not worse than on lentil stubble. That late May frost hit the canola on durum stubble especially hard. There is one guy that seeded canola May 28th into moisture. Nicest canola around.

Comment

Ya, that's a different story.

I have some stuff I'm not proud of either but there is potential. Just ****ing hard to look at and probably will be until after harvest.

I don't have solid rows through out the fields and some thin patches and the odd bald patch.

Seeded some canola on flax stubble....disced a wee bit on the quarter, less than afew select "small" areas. Had to spread some ground piles from flax windrow bunching...."very" light shallow cultivation(barely considered). Made a narrow fireguard against my neighbour's wheat stubble with a 14 foot spiked cultivator...SHALLOWLY. Anywhere the ground was disturbed....poor establishment, it's so obvious. How do the vertical tillers get away with it? Do they pack that well? One year my neighbour used the Protill, you could see where they went, like cutting with a knife.....they blamed cutworms...lol.
                            Funny on the gumbo where the protill went last fall is the nicest canola establishment. Like cutting knife.

Comment

Anywhere the ground was disturbed....poor establishment,

That's our experience with any fall tillage year after year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...