• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing hay ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing hay ...

I was approached to cut and bale some hay land this summer.. what's a fair price for the field on a per pound basis as that would be the fairest to booth parties involved. We take 100% of the crop and cut and bale the hay.. its a 2 year old stand of alfalfa/broam/Timothy. Its like everyone else crops... short of rain and not very tall.. but we have had a good shot of rain so it should grow somewhat.

thanks for your thoughts.

However you do it no one will be happy, I disked mine under once because it was cheaper.

Comment

Depends whether you need the hay yourself or if it's to sell, depends on area and demand and how far from home it is. If I was buying it for my own use I'd like to be paying 2c/lb for it standing. Probably cost you 5c/lb that way by the time you're done and you're still taking the weather risk. I know some guys pay 8 or 10c/lb for hay and you may be in an area to get that kind of price but it's not economic to feed cows with and I can always find cheaper alternatives.

Comment

Common around here to do the 1/3 , 2/3 share value. 1/3 of the hay value goes to landowner, 2/3 of the value goes to the guy doing the work. Value = local market price, determined when it is sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
          Common around here to do the 1/3 , 2/3 share value. 1/3 of the hay value goes to landowner, 2/3 of the value goes to the guy doing the work. Value = local market price, determined when it is sold.
          Hay share deals have been more 50/50 around here traditionally. Last few years it's been 60/40 or 1/3 to 2/3. With the larger share to the landowner as guys needing hay and value higher.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...