• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soil PH

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil PH

What are you doing to adjust your in - crop PH? Since we have some of the most alkaline soils in N America, whenever the garden peas are looking pekid, they get a watering with vinegar. I haven’t heard if PH adjustment is being carried out in the field.

Really what can you do.
    Some here are trying calcium carbonate or gypsum. Early to tell yet.
    Not cheap, only owned land.
    Local dealer has a trial on my place.
    We'll see.
    I'd much rather move away from salt based fertilizer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      Really what can you do.
      Some here are trying calcium carbonate or gypsum. Early to tell yet.
      Not cheap, only owned land.
      Local dealer has a trial on my place.
      We'll see.
      I'd much rather move away from salt based fertilizer lol.

Better talk to some older agrologists. ...I have had 300lbs of gypsum spread on some spots and I haven't seen results....

Comment

Les henry.

Comment

Not gonna help in crop, but for future what about elemental sulphur, takes years to break down and as it does releases sulphuric acid lowering ph. Also takes care of sulphur needs for multiple years.

We have used vinegar on spruce trees also when watering as they like acidic soil.

Comment

Gypsum doesn't alter pH, but is good source of calcium and sulfur.

Lots of elemental sulfur if you want to lower pH.

Lime if you want to raise pH.

Comment

Around here, low pH is our problem, and unfortunately, the solution would cost more than the land cost to start with. In spite of the fact that we are so close to a bunch of limestone mountains, one is even named Limestone, and there used to be a company mining lime right in our nearest town, the trucking is cost prohibitive to get any lime here now. Lots of benefits to raising the pH here, aside from helping plants that don't do well in acidic soils, it really helps water logged soils, some research indicating a reduction in disease, particularly club root, nutrient release.

Comment

Doing the best job of plant husbandry you can do on your budget.
                The rest is up to the next glacier I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Around here, low pH is our problem, and unfortunately, the solution would cost more than the land cost to start with. In spite of the fact that we are so close to a bunch of limestone mountains, one is even named Limestone, and there used to be a company mining lime right in our nearest town, the trucking is cost prohibitive to get any lime here now. Lots of benefits to raising the pH here, aside from helping plants that don't do well in acidic soils, it really helps water logged soils, some research indicating a reduction in disease, particularly club root, nutrient release.
                  You're not real low ph then AF5. If you were you would have to be able to afford to remedy it to keep going. In Scotland we had to apply anywhere from 2-4 tonnes of ground magnesium limestone/acre on a less than 10 year rotation otherwise the ph was down at 3-4.

Comment

Here the PH is over 7(too alkaline). When we water in garden white rings form around watered area. Vinegar and water mix has been a cheap and easy way to lower PH in garden with easily noticed results in peas and tomatoes. If you google PH maps, it is very interesting. Eastern US is opposite of us in Saskatchewan.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...