• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn: A Game Changer . . . .

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn: A Game Changer . . . .

What a difference a month makes . . . . Flooding and abandoned acres has totally changed fundamentals turning the U.S. corn market from a dog to an emerging bull market. Futures volatility is apt to pickup heading into the July/August weather markets. USDA did cut their corn yield estimate 10 bu and now estimated at just 166 bu/acre. Abandoned acres estimated at 3 million . . . it may be more. The next big USDA report is plantings (acreage) due out at the end of the month.

Group . . . corn is king of grain markets. If corn goes up, everything goes up including wheat, canola futures are gradually rising, even our cash pea market tone may perk-up. But not good news for feeder cattle. Feeder cattle futures remain under pressure as feeding margins remain under pressure.

Note: Volatility is a friend of option buyers. Whether you own puts or calls, volatility tends to jack-up the premiums. But for owners of futures outright whether long or short, margin call risk heightens especially with the incoming weather market straight ahead.

Lethbridge quotes are 6.20 barley, 7.20 corn

Anyone needing barley in SK is stepping up to keep it from going west.

Broker says big crop coming lock in now

Comment

That's enough sarcasm out of you!

Is that Captain Oddball?

Comment

A big crop from Red Deer to Edmonton will not make up for the other 80% of western Canada... lol

Comment

Can't beans be planted later,,,on ground that's too wet at the moment? (of course if it stops raining)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
            Can't beans be planted later,,,on ground that's too wet at the moment? (of course if it stops raining)
            Yes, and that is likely why USDA left bean yield unchanged in yesterdays report. I would expect to see yield come down from current 49.5, but too early to do it in this report.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
              In a big chunk of the wet states the insurance deadline for beans is looming very close, within the next 7-10 days. A lot of those acres aren’t going to be dry in time. Some will plant later but most will go with prevent plant

Comment

I think parts of Southern MB are trying to make up for the US corn shortfall - drove Hwy2 to Winnipeg and looks to be hugely more corn than previous years. Looks to be at the expense of both canola and beans but I'm no expert on these things.

Comment

If we get a normal frost this fall it’s gonna be a holy f@$& look out situation

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                    If we get a normal frost this fall it’s gonna be a holy f@$& look out situation
                    Wont have to worry about weed dessication!

Comment

Hard to take advantage of strong commodity markets if you don't have much to sell.

Can options ever make up for dismal yields? Are there enough "plays" to be taken advantage of?

Something is telling me it isn't that lucrative, or more people would be doing it.

The Cos/exchanges writing the options proobably don't lose??????

Anyone?

Comment

other than oats($3.65 today) , i hope these aren't strong commodity prices?

Comment

July 410 corn calls after failing to fill the gap on June 7.

Buy on open June 10 for 10.25 cents, settled June 12 at 21 cents. Last quote 28 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post

Buy on open June 10 for 10.25 cents, settled June 12 at 21 cents. Last quote 28 cents.
                            Need money to play .
                            My kids and wife take care of that here lol

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post

Appreciate the post.

How many contracts would you cover in a real life situation.

Are They sold in 5000 bushel contracts?

To me this is speculating too.

A more wordy explanation, not assuming the reader knows even the most basic details, is good.

I suppose the internet is full of explanations.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.