• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic down home on the farm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic down home on the farm

I have been acutely aware of garbage, plastics, littering, recycling etc. Since 1974. This would be the ONLY statement that the liberals have made that I can get behind. Keep in mind, they are probably pretty desperate right now. But finally it has been said out loud. Now WHAT is going to be done about it? WHO will do it?

Because we are in the cattle business, we have been acutely aware of the issue with plastic strings on hay/straw bales. ONCE back in the 90's we had to buy hay and since it was scarce it came from quite a distance and with plastic strings. We STILL pick up the odd bit of plastic string. It never goes away. Burn it? Oh, the black smoke. You peoplekind that have cattle, have you ever lost a 500 lb calf, done an 'exploratory' and come up with a plastic bag in the stomach? What about the plastic twine and plastic wrap that goes through the processor........

You peoplekind that grain farm. What has led to the use of plastic grain bags? I honestly don't know.

I know a fellow who built a plant to melt the grain bags and extruding them into fence posts.

Comment

We use plastic or I mean rather paper bags and plastic I mean uhh uhh paper only bags or that sort of stuff for grain works ok in drought years.

Comment

We recycle all right at the farm .
        No grain bags , it’s fricken drives me to see used grain bags all over.
        Blowing onto neighbors land while they *** off to lake . Should be sued for that shit

Comment

Three year pilot program in Alberta to collect grain bags & twine for recycling:

https://cleanfarms.ca/alberta-ag-plastic-recycle-it-program/?fbclid=IwAR3qqYBePPPD_n5cX6QzWF8RBDCN78oEsieTryqN Lbez19Ncv5cZtq9QkEY

Comment

Furrow

Blowing onto neighbors land while they *** off to lake . Should be sued for that shit

As a neighbor, doesn't SK3 offer to take you to fishing with him at the lake?

Comment

Originally posted by littledoggie View Post
              Three year pilot program in Alberta to collect grain bags & twine for recycling:

https://cleanfarms.ca/alberta-ag-plastic-recycle-it-program/?fbclid=IwAR3qqYBePPPD_n5cX6QzWF8RBDCN78oEsieTryqN Lbez19Ncv5cZtq9QkEY
              Our county has been collecting, ag plastics for quite a few years but this new program has taken over. Now they won't take netwrap or silage plastic. Not many options left, either burn or landfill.

County had contracted collection to 3rd party, they stockpiled multiple years because they couldnt find a buyer for the plastics, then ended up landfilling anyhow. Part of the problem is everyone wants their piece of the pie and then costs get too high.

Alternatives in desparate need.

Comment

Our county collects twine and silage plastic separately, under the guise of recycling, but last time I asked about it, conceded that there was no market, and they needed to keep it separate just to keep it from getting tangled up in their bobcats. It still ended up in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Our county collects twine and silage plastic separately, under the guise of recycling, but last time I asked about it, conceded that there was no market, and they needed to keep it separate just to keep it from getting tangled up in their bobcats. It still ended up in the same place.
                  Our friends in a small town used to separate all their garbage since the transfer station had separate bins for everything and said everything would be recycled. Then one day the garbage truck showed up while they were there and just went down the line of dumpster bins including plain old garbage and put it all in the truck. They asked the driver where he was off to next and he said “Ryley” which is a huge landfill east of Edmonton. They become skeptics after that for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                    Furrow

As a neighbor, doesn't SK3 offer to take you to fishing with him at the lake?
                    Not sure what planet your o. or what your smoking , maybe the same as your hero JT, but we are on the opposite sides of Saskatchewan lol .

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Our friends in a small town used to separate all their garbage since the transfer station had separate bins for everything and said everything would be recycled. Then one day the garbage truck showed up while they were there and just went down the line of dumpster bins including plain old garbage and put it all in the truck. They asked the driver where he was off to next and he said “Ryley” which is a huge landfill east of Edmonton. They become skeptics after that for some reason.
                      That is the case most places now. There is a full blown crisis in the recycling industry in recent years, as China no longer wants to take any of it, and there is no economic market for it locally. It nearly all ends up in a land fill now. For whatever reason no one wants to tell the consumer, who is diligently sorting and separating garbage from other garbage for absolutely no reason. Not sure how long we need to keep this charade going, just more virtue signalling.

Most of recycling never did make any sense, economically, or environmentally. Burning large amounts of non-renewable fossil fuels to recycle renewable products such as paper and cardboard is the definition of lunacy. The full life cycle of plastic recycling easily consumes more fossil fuels than what is contained in them to start with. How ridiculous to send multiple trucks out to haul all these separate products which end up in the same place. In our case we have to haul recyclables to different locations than where we haul garbage, burning extra fuel. How many idling vehicles driving from bin to bin to bin?

About the only products that make any sense to recycle are metals, but a life cycle analysis on the total energy consumed really needs to be done even then.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...