• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola 2019

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
    Yes, yesterday morning too
    That sucks , especially this time of year .
    What area goodrum ?

Comment

Is that canola? Forgot what it looks like actually out of the ground.

Comment

Wait the fungicide commercials will start. That frost damage is ok just apply some fungicide that costs more than you will make per acre.

Why isn't there been any adjustment on the price of canola, seed or chemical?

Someone someplace post a pick of a decent field. Not 5 ft.

Its a shit year.

Comment

Plenty of canola acres here. Area 9A grows a lot of canola it pays the bills. Most has germinated and emerged. Last week a couple of farms were reseeding due to flea beetles. One farm reseeded 2500 acres. It sounds like a lot but really its only 10% they have that done before I get out of bed.
          Spraying season is in full swing, I heard a helicopter this morning and the airplane guys’ water truck is roaming around.
          Perspective is interesting. I drove past a field where a moderate size farmer was out spraying. It was a smaller, red sprayer. I am sure it is the right size for that farm but I could not help but think that it was not a “good” unit because it is so much smaller than the other sprayers l see.
          Once the air assault starts, its time to goto the lake!
          Something to ponder. We have been spraying every year for 45 years and we still have weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
            Plenty of canola acres here. Area 9A grows a lot of canola it pays the bills. Most has germinated and emerged. Last week a couple of farms were reseeding due to flea beetles. One farm reseeded 2500 acres. It sounds like a lot but really its only 10% they have that done before I get out of bed.
            Spraying season is in full swing, I heard a helicopter this morning and the airplane guys’ water truck is roaming around.
            Perspective is interesting. I drove past a field where a moderate size farmer was out spraying. It was a smaller, red sprayer. I am sure it is the right size for that farm but I could not help but think that it was not a “good” unit because it is so much smaller than the other sprayers l see.
            Once the air assault starts, its time to goto the lake!
            Something to ponder. We have been spraying every year for 45 years and we still have weeds.

That was just NW if your area and guys are spraying around you this morning??

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

That was just NW if your area and guys are spraying around you this morning??
              I sent the post, picked my head up and see that the farmer next door is spraying his barley. I dont think it froze here but I may be mistaken.
              The last time it froze here and reseeding canola in june, the crop was huge. Like just shy of 70 bpa on a average guys farm.

Comment

Haven’t seeded canola in four years now. Try my best not to feed parasites. I would if I were a crop insurance farmer. Coverage is pretty awesome. Gross alas is not the same as net. Kind of a secret I found out. Seem lots don’t know that secret yet?..

Lotsa canola here though. You can tell easy, they are the fields that have nothing green in them.

Hobby, what would you say about my one neighbor who sprays with a “gasp”, pull type blue sprayer? With no gps? My how the times change. Somewhere I missed my boarding call.

What was the boarding call like? I feel like it must have been obvious, most guys heard it and jumped on the good ship expand, invest, buy iron, but I completely missed it! I blinked and became 40 years behind in farming instead of just 25. Lol Oh well, might be an ok year to have no iron payments or 80 dollar rent.

Maybe the government will bail us all out because of the way they held a gun to our heads and forced us to farm this way?

Comment

Sheepwheat

You will receive the same as everyone else if there is an ad hoc payment....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    Sheepwheat

You will receive the same as everyone else if there is an ad hoc payment....
                    I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Guess it depends what the ad hoc would be based on maybe? Straight acres? Weather station rainfall?

Regardless, I’m ok without an ad hoc. I like doing things different. My payment would be so tiny, maybe I would give it to someone who needs it more?
                    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jun 10, 2019, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                      Haven’t seeded canola in four years now. Try my best not to feed parasites. I would if I were a crop insurance farmer. Coverage is pretty awesome. Gross alas is not the same as net. Kind of a secret I found out. Seem lots don’t know that secret yet?..

Lotsa canola here though. You can tell easy, they are the fields that have nothing green in them.

Hobby, what would you say about my one neighbor who sprays with a “gasp”, pull type blue sprayer? With no gps? My how the times change. Somewhere I missed my boarding call.

What was the boarding call like? I feel like it must have been obvious, most guys heard it and jumped on the good ship expand, invest, buy iron, but I completely missed it! I blinked and became 40 years behind in farming instead of just 25. Lol Oh well, might be an ok year to have no iron payments or 80 dollar rent.

Maybe the government will bail us all out because of the way they held a gun to our heads and forced us to farm this way?
                      If you pull your sprayer I dont think you’re a genuine, bona fide farmer. Its the most important machine on the farm. It is scary not to invest in a good one.
                      This farm is stuck in time. 1983. I make fun of the others because I suspect I am living a lie. Either way, it is an interesting way to pass the time.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                        If you pull your sprayer I dont think you’re a genuine, bona fide farmer. Its the most important machine on the farm. It is scary not to invest in a good one.
                        This farm is stuck in time. 1983. I make fun of the others because I suspect I am living a lie. Either way, it is an interesting way to pass the time.
                        Hobby, I do appreciate you answering me. I agree with you 100 per cent that these guys are just kinda well, hobby farmers.

Comment

Hobby, I do appreciate you answering me. I agree with you 100 per cent that these guys are just kinda well, hobby farmers.
                          Eventually when there is not enough revenue, farmers can throw in the towel and embrace everything mainstream society has to offer.....

Comment

There are days I wish I was an immigrant crossing into Canada. ...just look at the benefits....if you could move into a less crowded town or city....and live on the Canadian governments dime for a while .....lol...

Comment

The thing I worry about with an ad hoc payment, is I think it should be based on need. How does one differentiate thisand ensure only farmers who are in tough through no fault of their own get targeted for aid?

I certainly do not think it is a wholesale problem that guys are suffering???

Comment

The thing I worry about with an ad hoc payment, is I think it should be based on need. How does one differentiate thisand ensure only farmers who are in tough through no fault of their own get targeted for aid?

I certainly do not think it is a wholesale problem that guys are suffering???
                                If the current weather prevails and judging by the guys that left in the last couple years .....it could be a problem across the prairies.....

What did they do in 1988????? pick and choose....no....and there are a lot of farmers that think they are farming today because grandpa stuck it out himself in 1988....it is simply not true...

A lot of farmers are farming today because the previous generation had government payments keep them in for another couple years....

So many are ignorant of the facts....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.