• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi license

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi license

Didn’t know there was an exemption for farmers? There are 33 farmers with this licence? Wtf thought everyone had there 1a to drive semi or should .

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Didn’t know there was an exemption for farmers? There are 33 farmers with this licence? Wtf thought everyone had there 1a to drive semi or should .
    You mean never had to challenge the class 1 road test and can drive a tractor trailer? Never heard of that.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
      You mean never had to challenge the class 1 road test and can drive a tractor trailer? Never heard of that.
      I may be wrong but I think the exemption allows them to drive a semi with farm plates on a Class 5 license within some limited range of the farmyard. Until this thread came along I didn't realize that this exemption was about to disappear. It seems logical that it should be cancelled, particularly considering the limited use that it evidently receives.

Comment

I think we need more details...

Is this and "grandfather" clause? Ironically that may be exactly what it is, old guys that got a 1A without having to drive the test to get the endorsement??????

Sounds suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
          I may be wrong but I think the exemption allows them to drive a semi with farm plates on a Class 5 license within some limited range of the farmyard. Until this thread came along I didn't realize that this exemption was about to disappear. It seems logical that it should be cancelled, particularly considering the limited use that it evidently receives.
          Ok never heard of that one. Latest I've heard in the news is the eventual loss of the farmer exemption for the reduced number of training hours required for new class 1 applicants under the new class 1 laws that are coming or have come into effect.

Comment

I remember a neighbor lady telling me that when she went for her class 5 all you had to do was fill out a form. Well the small town insurer was out of class 5 forms so she filled out a class 1 form and had it ever since.

Comment

Regardless everyone is being punished because a government licensed examiner gave a licence to a driver that was incompetent and should have done more training. Now truck drivers will be training 3 times longer than it takes to get a pilots license and this type a wreck will happen again. Consumers will foot the bill and I doubt the roads will be any safer. A lot of these new drivers have come to Canada and have never driven anything but a bicycle I dought 120 hours will make them proficient but they will have their ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                Regardless everyone is being punished because a government licensed examiner gave a licence to a driver that was incompetent and should have done more training. Now truck drivers will be training 3 times longer than it takes to get a pilots license and this type a wreck will happen again. Consumers will foot the bill and I doubt the roads will be any safer. A lot of these new drivers have come to Canada and have never driven anything but a bicycle I dought 120 hours will make them proficient but they will have their ticket.
                Is hour 119 where they teach drivers that blowing a stop sign with a loaded superb is bad? stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-mo View Post
                  Is hour 119 where they teach drivers that blowing a stop sign with a loaded superb is bad? stupid
                  Ummmmm , I think In that case it was hr 1.19 .... Cracker Jack box licensing from peers .....
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 1, 2019, 04:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-mo View Post
                    The crappy part of it is blowing a stop sign is not a class 1a issue, it is one of a few basics learned on the first day of drivers ed when you are 14.

Comment

I might catch guff here, but the "Broncos Bus Collision" has to be one of the most perfect examples of "never let a crisis go to waste" (quote attributed to Rahm Emanuel of the Obama administration)

Failing to stop at a Stop sign(which I believe was also accompanied with a Stop Ahead sign) is not a failure of semi driving training, or semi driver testing or anything to do with Class 1 driving.
                      It has everything to do with Class 5 driving, training and testing. Learning to stop at Stop signs, and to respect all traffic signs on the road is learned in Class 5, not in Class 1.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                        I might catch guff here, but the "Broncos Bus Collision" has to be one of the most perfect examples of "never let a crisis go to waste" (quote attributed to Rahm Emanuel of the Obama administration)

Failing to stop at a Stop sign(which I believe was also accompanied with a Stop Ahead sign) is not a failure of semi driving training, or semi driver testing or anything to do with Class 1 driving.
                        It has everything to do with Class 5 driving, training and testing. Learning to stop at Stop signs, and to respect all traffic signs on the road is learned in Class 5, not in Class 1.
                        The blame for that terrible event almost appears to have been put on everyone else except where it needed to be.

The whole issue was not understood or not wanted to be understood. You can have someone trained for a thousand hours and pass the test but still not be able to drive. Government has been the one promoting anyone can get a licence to drive a semi because of the shortage of drivers.

It wasn’t a farmer that murdered those people it was an immigrant who never knew how to drive a car in our country never mind a semi. That problem has not been addressed.

It was an owner of a company that broke laws just to have his truck on the road any way he could. He had to have known his driver was not fit for the road. That problem has not been addressed.

The trees on that corner did not allow the innocent ones an opportunity to protect themselves. No time to stop once the criminal was saw to not be stopping. Hats off to our local rm for clearing every corner out in our rm giving everyone a chance to see what’s going on since this terrible event.

Hours of training don’t fix stupidity or criminal activities.

Foreigners new to the country should not be given 1a licenses until they ve driven a car in our country for 5 years. In that time accidents and fines likely will show whether that person can drive at all.

Comment

So farmers never make mistakes while driving semis or farm machinery? hahahaha. Someone pulled out with a combine in front of a vehicle in Sask. just last year I believe. Ended in a fatality. Fatigue, distraction, poor eyesight, impairment, who knows what happened. It can happen to just about anyone.

I got my semi license first try without a course after 30 some years of driving cars and large trucks. I practiced and I studied. It's not rocket science. I use my semi for harvest and the occasional seed pickup. A couple of thousand Km per year. I avoid winter driving and I consider my self a novice.

The days of just hopping on a piece of equipment without some training especially a fully loaded super B on a highway are over. If you can afford to own and run a semi you can afford to take the training. Large farms with lots of acres put many Kms on heavy trucks.

Do we let kids drive without training? Do we let pilots fly without training? Does your eighteen year old have the experience to inspect, load, and handle a 25 or 43 mt load in all weather? As a parent or operator do you have the qualifications, experience, knowledge, attitude, and time to teach the entire semi course?

A semi course is a good and necessary investment.

If farmers are concerned about the costs maybe some of the farm organizations can get together and offer courses at a lower price that is convenient for farm operations.

Comment

That’s all we do now is pay for others incompetence. Trouble is u can’t train common sense. No matter how many hours or what it costs.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

Not even. Stopping at stop signs is a skill even children on bicycles who’ve never HEARD of drivers licenses are expected to understand

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...