organic matter

Commodity Marketing

Tools

organic matter

makar's Avatar May 30, 2019 | 00:18 1 Lost track of the thread but some bozo claims to increase om some crazy amount in a short time well got my soil samples back, new breaking 6.2 om, old land broke years ago and almost always in hay 6.3 and black old beaver playground 6.4 , nutrients the same, take it for what its worth. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • May 30, 2019 | 00:52 2 I don't recall what thread that was but always neat to see test results like that. Though it would round out the list if you had a sample from land that has been continuously cropped, little to no hay/alfalfa, for a long while. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • makar's Avatar May 30, 2019 | 01:07 3 I am not sold on soil tests, the new land ran , wheat, 2/3 the old , yet nothing shows why. Everyone thinks breaking is great but not seeing it. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • May 30, 2019 | 06:18 4 These are all high levels and very surprising for land that you said the soil had all burnt years ago. OM isn't the part of a soil test I'd distrust though as it's fairly simple to get right. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • May 30, 2019 | 09:29 5
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    I am not sold on soil tests, the new land ran , wheat, 2/3 the old , yet nothing shows why. Everyone thinks breaking is great but not seeing it.
    I am in the Peace and experience has been alfalfa does fantastic on fresh breaking, but grain crops (oats for me) does not do as well as an existing cultivated field. My belief is there is some nitrogen being tied up somewhere (or lack there of) that doesn’t affect the alfalfa obviously. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • makar's Avatar May 30, 2019 | 10:18 6
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    These are all high levels and very surprising for land that you said the soil had all burnt years ago. OM isn't the part of a soil test I'd distrust though as it's fairly simple to get right.
    This land is ten miles from the rest and totally different soil, more sandy than grey, also all fire was not equal, the rich black soil a uncle farmed the treetops burnt and the dead trees stood for years, most of mine burnt to the clay and has less than 3 om, some 1. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • May 31, 2019 | 09:37 7 These are all excessive tiers and very sudden for land which you stated the soil had all burnt years in the past. OM is not the part of a soil take a look at I'd mistrust though as it's fairly simple to get right. Nox Vidmate VLC
    Last edited by isabella; Jun 2, 2019 at 10:15.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • makar's Avatar May 31, 2019 | 18:31 8 What i find strange this farm is obviously in need of copper but yet tests medium, but very low in sulphur and calcium , would i have something else tying up the copper. I think low cal does weird things. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar May 31, 2019 | 19:16 9 I bought a farm years ago that was recreational tillage since time began. Also the eddy match for straw in June when SMF got late. Well the soil tests were amazing. Then we added pig shit on two and third couldn’t get because no culverts for a mile. Soil tests showed every thing was depleted when we started now years later the two are awesome and the third has finally caught back up. Found a culvert in the road and a full section will be available for the liquid shit. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Austranada's Avatar May 31, 2019 | 19:28 10
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    What i find strange this farm is obviously in need of copper but yet tests medium, but very low in sulphur and calcium , would i have something else tying up the copper. I think low cal does weird things.
    Back to basics makar. Send me a pm I'll help you out Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • makar's Avatar May 31, 2019 | 19:57 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Austranada View Post
    Back to basics makar. Send me a pm I'll help you out
    Need something rational and sane, will pass. Reply With Quote

  • Austranada's Avatar May 31, 2019 | 20:09 12
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    Need something rational and sane, will pass.
    Yes you do, thanks for passing and not wasting my time Reply With Quote
    May 31, 2019 | 20:13 13 Careful Or resident troll Auszy is doing another
    Body cleanse to eliminate the glyphosate in his body. Lots of shit will be flying out of him. Reply With Quote

  • May 31, 2019 | 20:31 14
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    What i find strange this farm is obviously in need of copper but yet tests medium, but very low in sulphur and calcium , would i have something else tying up the copper. I think low cal does weird things.
    I don't know what your crop needs are for copper but we are facing something similar with some of our well water and the cattle. Through the roof in manganese and that certainly ties up the copper for the cattle. Reply With Quote
    GDR
    May 31, 2019 | 20:39 15
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I don't know what your crop needs are for copper but we are facing something similar with some of our well water and the cattle. Through the roof in manganese and that certainly ties up the copper for the cattle.
    So does molybdenum. Copper is a hard one in livestock because deficiency and excess both present the same symptoms. Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar Jun 3, 2019 | 09:42 16 My magnesium is high at 336 to 372 at 6 and at 600 at 12, is this tying up my copper and is there a remedy, calcium is low at 1500, yet my copper is medium at .7 and crop suffers. Reply With Quote
    Jun 3, 2019 | 13:12 17
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadWinner View Post
    Careful Or resident troll Auszy is doing another
    Body cleanse to eliminate the glyphosate in his body. Lots of shit will be flying out of him.
    shit , thats good , bw Reply With Quote
    Nov 24, 2019 | 04:03 18 Yes its right

    https://www.androidfreewares.com Reply With Quote
    Nov 24, 2019 | 05:38 19
    Quote Originally Posted by evonmipsets View Post
    PH of soil affects the micros and copper's availability to plants... also nitrogen fixing bacteria [or lack of in soil] seems to change a crops uptake of nutrients... thus pulse effect on yield... Reply With Quote
    Nov 24, 2019 | 09:12 20 Dr Elaine Ingram has probably the most extensive info on soil biology and O.M. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Nov 24, 2019 | 14:39 21
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    Lost track of the thread but some bozo claims to increase om some crazy amount in a short time well got my soil samples back, new breaking 6.2 om, old land broke years ago and almost always in hay 6.3 and black old beaver playground 6.4 , nutrients the same, take it for what its worth.
    It takes 1000 lbs of additional nitrogen per acre to increase om by 1%.

    So no reason why you can't get 3 or 4% from a single year of cover crop. Yes that's sarcasm. Regenerative BS. Austranada's good buddy Gabe Brown is the bozo. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Feb 21, 2020 | 02:14 22
    Quote Originally Posted by Austranada View Post
    Yes you do, thanks for passing and not wasting my time
    Ha ha ha


    https://www.pencildiary.com/ Reply With Quote
    Apr 4, 2020 | 02:51 23 Here are very valuable content. Im pleased to read them all. Thanks
    Bluetooth Speaker Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Apr 4, 2020 | 06:30 24 All I know is the land that we bought years ago that was crop fire, smf then seed repeat since time began. Pig shit every three years has brought it back to life and brought it back big time. OM was bad but after some 9 years of Pig shit its back to the 6 to maybe 7 range.

    Fields across the road that I cant get pig shit on took 15 plus with lots and lots of fert and effort.

    Om is good but a total balanced system is best. Just take care of your dirt. Blowing dirt was the devil. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 07:22 25
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    All I know is the land that we bought years ago that was crop fire, smf then seed repeat since time began. Pig shit every three years has brought it back to life and brought it back big time. OM was bad but after some 9 years of Pig shit its back to the 6 to maybe 7 range.

    Fields across the road that I cant get pig shit on took 15 plus with lots and lots of fert and effort.

    Om is good but a total balanced system is best. Just take care of your dirt. Blowing dirt was the devil.
    Show us the soil test that says you have 7% organic matter?! Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 11:27 26
    Quote Originally Posted by M9016 View Post
    Show us the soil test that says you have 7% organic matter?!
    Do you doubt that his soil has 7% OM, or do you doubt that it rose there from an unknown number? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Apr 5, 2020 | 11:49 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    Do you doubt that his soil has 7% OM, or do you doubt that it rose there from an unknown number?
    I’d just like to see his proof. 7% om is big time if he is there? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • makar's Avatar Apr 5, 2020 | 12:03 28 7 om is not unusual in many places, most better dirt would be in that range. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 14:48 29 There is 7 plus % OM sprinkled all around here and there if your soil is black as coal. Some up to 9 and 10. Lots 5-6 though. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 17:11 30 Same here. Soil maps say 5-7 on my land. Some pockets even more. Half and half didn’t help but this ground is resilient. Zero tillage has made these hills produce but thinking that we have increased om substantially in 15 years is a fallacy. I might be talking out my arse but thought there was a long term study where a bunch of amendments were made on a burned chunk of ground and it took 30 years to get om to rise 1%. I have trouble believing some of what Gabe Brown claims but if it’s working for him it must be right. With the turmoil today we might have to adopt a more integrated approach to agriculture. Reply With Quote