• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Rain Til July 10th week

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have rye and triticale seeded and if we don't get much rain I will cut all or most of it and bale it! I will buy hay with my crop insurance cheque and hold some of last years durum for a higher price and pay income tax next spring.

Comment

Now that that has been said, envy has our area in for a F-S-S rain event. The Norway site which is a Swede with his brains knocked out concurs that it will be two day rain event of an inch plus. It starts in a few hours. Can they be wrong?

Of course they can, just like alarmists! They can be totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Oh F off.

Really?

Like anyone knows for sure.

If it's a theoretical question....it would be disastrous.
        Maybe not that bad, Crop Insurance and NO harvesting required!

Comment

Not sure which is worse our situation or the one the farmers are having in the Midwest. I think I would take the too wet and don’t seed an acre and still get paid. We’ve spent a fortune hoping!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            I prefer the accuweather forecast although I've never found it to be that accurate. Tap switching on June 1st will be crucial for guys with cattle in many areas.

[ATTACH]4273[/ATTACH]
            This one shows similar to that grass ...

Time will tell I guess

Comment

My mom and dad were married in 1947. They told the story that the first rain this area had was the night of their wedding dance in the first week of August a thunderstorm hit. Dad said the crop germinated after the rain and farmers managed to cut enough for feed for the livestock but zero harvest that year. I cant imagine what that was like but it happens I guess. Farming practices have changed but no matter how I cut it if I had no rain until first week of August the crop would be toast.

Comment

I have spent my entire life looking for the next rain.

The life of a farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                  I have spent my entire life looking for the next rain.

The life of a farmer.
                  "Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter"

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    "Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter"
                    If it was easy everyone would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      If it was easy everyone would do it.
                      "Farming isn't for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better"

Comment

Gettin dry ...

Comment

Some climate scientists are saying these persistent blocking patterns are due to a rapidly warming arctic and a decreasing temperature differential between the arctic and mid latitudes which makes the jet stream sluggish. It seems like the frequency of these blocking events is increasing. Wildfires, droughts and floods are increasing in frequency and severity.

June is usually the wettest month. The crops start growing rapidly and releasing lots of moisture into the air. But the other ingredients need to be in place for significant rain.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                            Some climate scientists are saying these persistent blocking patterns are due to a rapidly warming arctic and a decreasing temperature differential between the arctic and mid latitudes which makes the jet stream sluggish. It seems like the frequency of these blocking events is increasing. Wildfires, droughts and floods are increasing in frequency and severity.

June is usually the wettest month. The crops start growing rapidly and releasing lots of moisture into the air. But the other ingredients need to be in place for significant rain.
                            So it that what caused the SW part of North America to have a drought that lasted for decades??
                            But the was several hundred years ago , before fossil fuels in think , but not sure

Comment

Hmmm all before the first oil well was tapped .....

Comment

I will just add to this to wet to dry debate.
                                Quality of life is better when it’s dry. At least for this farm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...