• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog barn expansion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog barn expansion

Don't know what to think of the ongoing expansion of hog production in this part of MB but it's certainly upsetting a lot of people. Proposals for quite a few new barns with 24,000 head per site I believe. The expansion is by HyLife which is now owned 50.1% by a Thai company and 49.9% by a Japanese one. They got $9.5 million from the MB Government and another $2 million through Growing Forward to expand their slaughter plant in Neepawa and their new feedmill in Killarney. I was told, and Braveheart can correct me if this is wrong, that they are bringing US corn into Killarney to make the feed.
    So while Manitoba Pork are running ads in the papers promoting this (paid for by check-off no doubt) and saying how it fits with the provincial Governments "new sustainable protein strategy which seeks to ensure that Manitoba farmers have the resources they need to remain leaders in animal protein production...." I'm struggling to see where the Manitoba farmers are even involved in this other than as a dumping ground for hog manure.

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Don't know what to think of the ongoing expansion of hog production in this part of MB but it's certainly upsetting a lot of people. Proposals for quite a few new barns with 24,000 head per site I believe. The expansion is by HyLife which is now owned 50.1% by a Thai company and 49.9% by a Japanese one. They got $9.5 million from the MB Government and another $2 million through Growing Forward to expand their slaughter plant in Neepawa and their new feedmill in Killarney. I was told, and Braveheart can correct me if this is wrong, that they are bringing US corn into Killarney to make the feed.
    So while Manitoba Pork are running ads in the papers promoting this (paid for by check-off no doubt) and saying how it fits with the provincial Governments "new sustainable protein strategy which seeks to ensure that Manitoba farmers have the resources they need to remain leaders in animal protein production...." I'm struggling to see where the Manitoba farmers are even involved in this other than as a dumping ground for hog manure.
    Many many US trucks hauling corn into HyLife. Corn is grown locally but the mill requires it dry and most corn growers here have been duped into thinking they can grow and market corn without a dryer.

Comment

Unfortunately, the reality of the hog business is that you go big or go home.

Our local barn was one of the quadra barns that was bought out by the locals. It is a good market for most types of feed.

Should be alot of jobs in those facilities

Comment

Just wondering where they are finding the cheap labor to make this enterprise turn a profit? Asia as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          Just wondering where they are finding the cheap labor to make this enterprise turn a profit? Asia as well?
          Mostly the Philippines I believe. $14.50/hr starting on the cutting/production floor.

Comment

So I would imagine there would be better enterprises than a pig barn for those owners even after the government assistance. Is the game plan to take the pork back to their countries or sell it in canada?

Is there soybean crushers anywhere close? Has to be freight and exchange advantage to feed local production. I'm sure feed wheat barley and peas are all available, what more could a pig ask for?

Comment

Mostly the Philippines I believe. $14.50/hr starting on the cutting/production floor.
              It is the Phillipines. Interestingly, Neepawa (where slaughter plant is) now has an undesirable element. Filipino crime. Prostitution and drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                So I would imagine there would be better enterprises than a pig barn for those owners even after the government assistance. Is the game plan to take the pork back to their countries or sell it in canada?

Is there soybean crushers anywhere close? Has to be freight and exchange advantage to feed local production. I'm sure feed wheat barley and peas are all available, what more could a pig ask for?
                I read 85% is exported to Japan. I don't think this is like your hog farm of the past where they would be fed whatever was cheap and easily available. Seems more of a factory model with everything standardized including feed.

Comment

Feed trucks have reall add to the traffic here. Not in a good way.

Comment

So they have a 24,000 sow barn operational already?

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      Can't say the numbers but expansion everywhere. Sow barns, nurseries, and feeders. Is big. Some RMs have said no. Big fights in others.

Comment

Vertically Integrated industrial hog factories, nothing remotely to do with family farming! Using hundreds of thousand of gallons of fresh water as a big toilet flush to clean their massive barns. No homes, residents or farm yards on the barn sites.

When it's time to spread the manure or when it's windy and the humidity is high, all the nearby family farms have to put up with the repulsive stench. When operation were smaller and family run there was never a big problem with the odor. We had cattle for many years on our farm and we never had the strong odor that these hog factories are generating. My family farm who is forth generation and paid taxes all these years DO NOT want these types of neighbors ruining our quality of life just for the sake of some out of county investors.

MB. government gives 9.5 million to a company 51% owned by Asian countries, haven't they learnt their lesson when they ran the Crocus Investment Fund, they were stupid enough to invest or give loans to a major hog player who went tits up!

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                          No, I believe they were talking 4 barns per site, 6000 per barn but these would be growing pigs not sows.

Comment

No, I believe they were talking 4 barns per site, 6000 per barn but these would be growing pigs not sows.
                            That's just for Argyle. Prominent Red Angus breeders offering land. Neighbors will no longer buy bulls there. Too bad. They have good cattle.

Killarney is expanding on already approved sites.

Comment

Originally posted by braveheart View Post
                              it is the phillipines. Interestingly, neepawa (where slaughter plant is) now has an undesirable element. Filipino crime. Prostitution and drugs.
                              road trip baaaaaaby !!!!😎

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.