Seeding / crop progress

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Seeding / crop progress

May 21, 2019 | 07:15 1 Some crop up now
Most guys wrapping up this week
Moisture still good for now , except east of here towards Maymont and south toward Biggar Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar May 21, 2019 | 08:11 2 We are done..now waiting for rain.
Some crops are up..
Lots are still seeding but will not be far behind the guys that started May 1st..
Foŕecast looks like the real cold shit has left .. Reply With Quote
May 21, 2019 | 08:11 3 About the same here Furrow. Most guys will be done this week and first seeded wheat fields just poking out. Moisture good for now but some fields were seeded wet and the clay will dry really hard and a little rain shower would help with that. Reply With Quote
May 21, 2019 | 08:40 4 Seeding will restart after the cold snap at the end of May according to what I read this morning....it wasn't that long ago that I was spraying on June 5 with the worry the spray didn't work because of a window scraping the morning after... Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• May 21, 2019 | 09:28 5 Some sprayers still given er in 40k winds plus doing burn off with crop up next door ... always makes me cringe 😬. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar May 21, 2019 | 09:30 6 Hit the last 1/3 of the crop to seed Monday
    May 21, 2019 | 10:57 7 Should wrap up today. Need some precipitation, its dry as F&$@......

Thank goodness for gps and mapping. I couldnt see a thing last night seeding... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 21, 2019 | 12:05 8 3-4 days left
    70 % done
    Weekend at the lake maybe comin up?
    Crop comin up
    Life is good!
    Best time of year
    Last edited by caseih; May 21, 2019 at 12:09.

• helmsdale's Avatar May 21, 2019 | 21:33 9 Done. Everything up but last 160 of wheat and the mustard... put the mustard into moisture, sure hoping it can get up and established before ur dies the top right out.

I can imagine I'll have two stages if growth as that magical 3/10ths that makes germination look easy seems difficult to come by, but hopefully 75%+ gets up and going. Tails are about 1" long on what I can find.

We'll hang on for awhile yet provided we don't get 80° heat to accompany the relentless wind as of late. Punched a penetrometer easily to between 18 and 21", and a soil probe shows the top 12 minus the surface is still wet. Reply With Quote
    May 21, 2019 | 21:43 10 Looking forward to 2020. 2019 is a write off Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• helmsdale's Avatar May 21, 2019 | 21:46 11
    Quote Originally Posted by farming101 View Post
    Looking forward to 2020. 2019 is a write off
    Its next year country already? Reply With Quote
    May 21, 2019 | 22:03 12 Not prairie wide but there is a big area with very little sub soil moisture.
    We can't grow a crop on the prairies with a few rains and no reserve.

This crop will stumble very quickly in some areas. One weather model took out decent rain prospects for first few days of June. Nothing for the next 16 days and warmer temps. It's toast Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 21, 2019 | 22:24 13
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Seeding will restart after the cold snap at the end of May according to what I read this morning....it wasn't that long ago that I was spraying on June 5 with the worry the spray didn't work because of a window scraping the morning after...
    Yes the 25th should be the -8 or -10 that kicks us into summer. Flip of the switch and the blowtorch hits Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 21, 2019 | 23:08 14
    Quote Originally Posted by farming101 View Post
    Not prairie wide but there is a big area with very little sub soil moisture.
    We can't grow a crop on the prairies with a few rains and no reserve.

This crop will stumble very quickly in some areas. One weather model took out decent rain prospects for first few days of June. Nothing for the next 16 days and warmer temps. It's toast
    Been there several times, not fun at all.
    And when the moisture situation is at that point , no grass , 1/10 or 2/10 does absolutely no fukin good whatsoever.
    As some are finding out ... when one starts that dry , showers are useless. Again it is a fact and is what it is . Some of us have been there several times .
    Mud sucks but so does drought .
    There is a tremendous amount of money 💰 in the ground right now . Not like a pasture of hay crop with zero dollars into it yet . There is a massive difference. Just sayin Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar May 21, 2019 | 23:42 15
    Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
    Its next year country already?
    Hopefully not, I at least want my money back....because I'm stoopid enough to do it again next year! Reply With Quote
    May 22, 2019 | 07:20 16 Looking more and more like pasture and feed shortage for cattlemen, still a month seeding window for green feed.
    Times have changed from when we had to cultivate to keep weeds from taking moisture.
    Still potential for June rains to support newly seeded and established crops. Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar May 22, 2019 | 08:54 17 Spinning in the mud at the 30% mark and i rented half out, wheat stubble is mush, neighbors spraycoupe sinking empty. Reply With Quote