Cool tonight

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Cool tonight

May 18, 2019 | 08:41 1 Anyone else with some canola up? Fingers crossed.
Last edited by biglentil; May 18, 2019 at 08:49.
  • 1 Like

• May 18, 2019 | 08:56 2 Good luck. I am almost afraid to plant mine with lots of straw in the fields and no warm weather anywhere in the forecast.

Canola can take some frost and it sure helps to have a dark field. Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 09:07 3
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Good luck. I am almost afraid to plant mine with lots of straw in the fields and no warm weather anywhere in the forecast.

.qaqmm

Canola can take some frost and it sure helps to have a dark field.
    Only about 10% of our canola is up and its on lentil stubble. I was surprised to see sprouts after 30hours of planting.
    Last edited by biglentil; May 18, 2019 at 09:29.
    Partners's Avatar May 18, 2019 | 11:14 4

Yup..one week..it can take frost at a young stage. Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 12:25 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post

Yup..one week..it can take frost at a young stage.
    Yes and if it is freezing as it comes up its tough just always have more problems when there is straw. Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 16:08 6 Now that the long weekend is here ....

Ahhhh the full moon 🌕....

Our first canola should be up by Monday.
    Wheat up , peas a day or so Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 20:52 7 Little soldiers popped up in rows.

anyone know where I can find 3000 acres of old blankets ? Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 21:07 8 Tough night for alfalfa. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar May 18, 2019 | 21:08 9 None of our canola is up. We've had canola freeze several times....its ugly and painful to watch struggling to recover.

If the cotyledons get badly damaged and the growing point survives it's a slow painful recovery to watch. If flea beetles are also a problem....it's even uglier. Have the insecticide handy.

Ours peas and wheat have sprouted, but they can take it on the chin better than canola.

Mind you two years ago we had some peas that got frosted and that looked kinda pekid for a while.

Seems some years the fields are ready to seed but by the calender it's too early.

This year is about the latest we've seeded canola.....on our last field now...should be done tomorrow.

Completely done, the Spring Seeding Rut, when the only thing on farmer's mind is sowing the crop, will officially be over in the Slum of the Ghetto.
    Then we can fret and focus on more important things, LIKE RAIN!

Be and work safe Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar May 18, 2019 | 21:20 10 It's been freezing every night this month..now there is a frost warning? Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 21:21 11
    It's been freezing every night this month..now there is a frost warning?
    Global cooling Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• farmaholic's Avatar May 18, 2019 | 21:26 12
    It's been freezing every night this month..now there is a frost warning?
    Its the long weekend! The warning if for the campers! Reply With Quote

• May 18, 2019 | 21:52 13

Impressive full moon 🌕 ..... eh grrrrr... lol Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 22:06 14 Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar May 19, 2019 | 00:39 15 Frig. Looks like it's going to freeze all night here. Everything up but mustard. Wheat popped up in 7 days, so hoping there's enough residual heat in the dirt... Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar May 19, 2019 | 05:36 16 So second plant 2019 begins next weekend.

so cold in Regina the garden hose is frozen. Took only five min of pressure and ice was gone but really it's mid May. Reply With Quote
    May 19, 2019 | 06:42 17 Rosetown still at -3 🥶 Reply With Quote
    May 19, 2019 | 06:58 18
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Rosetown still at -3 🥶
    Is it worth spraying today if the wind doesn't get up to high?????? Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar May 19, 2019 | 07:18 19
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Is it worth spraying today if the wind doesn't get up to high??????
    Everything you want the frost to kill will survive unscathed....emerging planted crops...might be set back.

Tomorrow has winds of 30-50. Supposed to wait to spray after the event when it comes to frost.

Some people don't have time to wait.

I think native weeds that evolved here can tolerate a lot of frost....probably ok to spray them. Reply With Quote
    May 19, 2019 | 07:26 20
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Everything you want the frost to kill will survive unscathed....emerging planted crops...might be set back.

Tomorrow has winds of 30-50. Supposed to wait to spray after the event when it comes to frost.

Some people don't have time to wait.

I think native weeds that evolved here can tolerate a lot of frost....probably ok to spray them.
    It used to be ..wait 2 days after a minus 4 frost....well it was cooler than that last night...fuck sakes ....me thinks there will be some reseeding....

Its kicking the shit out of the hay crop .... Reply With Quote
    May 19, 2019 | 07:48 21
    It used to be ..wait 2 days after a minus 4 frost....well it was cooler than that last night...fuck sakes ....me thinks there will be some reseeding....

Its kicking the shit out of the hay crop ....
    Don't worry bucket, some media type will eventually notice we haven't had any rain here and its freezing at night and it will whip up another climate hysteria story. I have this suspicion if we have an odd yr, the liberals will be all over it pointing to climate change. I would just as soon they didn't even know about western ag. Reply With Quote
    May 19, 2019 | 07:54 22
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    Don't worry bucket, some media type will eventually notice we haven't had any rain here and its freezing at night and it will whip up another climate hysteria story. I have this suspicion if we have an odd yr, the liberals will be all over it pointing to climate change. I would just as soon they didn't even know about western ag.
    Fuck sakes ...the liberals blamed the floods in eastern Canada on climate change....never mind the fact that people shouldn't have built where they did...Oh and BTW we are getting the bill to move them out of the fucking flood zones ....they also forgot to mention that roof lines and pavement contribute to the floods....but why tell someone that says they are smarter than you.... anything...

People were given brains ....I don't know why they can't use them...liberals prescripted fucking stupid answers are getting old already...

Ask question....they figure out which answer might fit ...no thought process... Reply With Quote
    May 20, 2019 | 10:40 23

Pics from just now looks unscathed to me, though Ive heard not everyone was so lucky. Reply With Quote
    May 20, 2019 | 14:09 24

Its kicking the shit out of the hay crop ....
    Because of this fn carbon tax our hay hasnt even started to grow yet Reply With Quote
    May 20, 2019 | 14:12 25
    Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post

Pics from just now looks unscathed to me, though Ive heard not everyone was so lucky.
    Black ground it wont freeze
    Highly experienced in spring frosts
    Have yet to reseed for frost tho
    Just painful to look at for 2 weeks
    Takes extra weed control usually after a frost
    Last edited by caseih; May 20, 2019 at 14:47.
    May 20, 2019 | 15:20 26 Also watch for flea Beatles. Even if growth is just stalled, seed treatments are not as active in the canola plant either .
    On windy days those buggers will be bitting stems especially stripped bastards. Reply With Quote