Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

May 17, 2019 | 05:32 31 -3 C in parts of s. mb this morning. Looks like those who like to seed canola the first week of May are going to have to make a trip to their favorite agri-retailer for more seed this morning. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 05:49 32 Cold start to the morning again -1 wow. let's get so excited about plant 19.


Again I can't believe how many pulse acres are in our area. one young gun seeded 5 quarters to peas. 800 to 1000 acres peas. That's 1/4 his farm.

Cost?

Another farm north has 640 last year 320.

We dropped peas last few years from 1200 to 640.

Canola acres are down in our area. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 05:53 33 Let's look at reality.

$6.45 to $6.15. Fall price locked in now.

60 x 6.15 $369

25 x 6.15 = 153.

Crap insurance at 80%

30 x 7 = 210.00

I just don't get why peas are being planted in mass amounts. Reply With Quote
May 17, 2019 | 05:58 34
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
Let's look at reality.

$6.45 to $6.15. Fall price locked in now.

60 x 6.15 $369

25 x 6.15 = 153.

Crap insurance at 80%

30 x 7 = 210.00

I just don't get why peas are being planted in mass amounts.
To be honest.... lots are short of cash, financing has tightened up dramatically so the easy button is pulse crops. Cut out a huge chunk of the fert bill. Right or wrong I think that’s a reality this spring Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • farmaholic's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 06:01 35 It's a crop guys can seed cheap... 3 bpa of seed a bit of Phos and innoculate.

    Edit in, sorry furrow I didn't mean to repeat Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 06:10 36
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    It's a crop guys can seed cheap... 3 bpa of seed a bit of Phos and innoculate.

    Edit in, sorry furrow I didn't mean to repeat
    No worries ... it is what it is . Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 06:23 37 I get that part 100%. It's welcome to the 80s all over again. Next is the USA subsidize and Canada says farmers your on your own. Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 07:11 38
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    I get that part 100%. It's welcome to the 80s all over again. Next is the USA subsidize and Canada says farmers your on your own.
    Getting 60b peas is no slam dunk. Lots of those pea yields are 2/3rds that sometimes. Here on the gumbo, root rot can really hit them. There is so many lentils going in here I am sure we kill that market next. Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 07:20 39
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Let's look at reality.

    $6.45 to $6.15. Fall price locked in now.

    60 x 6.15 $369

    25 x 6.15 = 153.

    Crap insurance at 80%

    30 x 7 = 210.00

    I just don't get why peas are being planted in mass amounts.
    Cheap to grow
    Good for the land
    60 bpa pretty normal here sticking to the 10 year rotation
    Off early , out of the way
    Binned all ours and squeaked about $6.85 ave outta them ave . Augered them into grain cart , into truck, into bin , into truck and splits ave about 2.5% , dont have a conveyor
    Only use 1/2 rate pursuit on them , no viper so far
    I like them Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 07:38 40
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    To be honest.... lots are short of cash, financing has tightened up dramatically so the easy button is pulse crops. Cut out a huge chunk of the fert bill. Right or wrong I think that’s a reality this spring
    We have had a decade long run of good yields and in that decade a 3 year run of profit prices. Why would lots of farmers be short of cash? Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Partners's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 07:46 41
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    We have had a decade long run of good yields and in that decade a 3 year run of profit prices. Why would lots of farmers be short of cash?
    For the same reason the oil patch guys who were making mega bucks had to give up there houses and fancy trucks.. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • May 17, 2019 | 08:06 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Partners View Post
    For the same reason the oil patch guys who were making mega bucks had to give up there houses and fancy trucks..
    Consolidation, consolidation, consolidation. Suspect any profits made were sunk into iron and rent. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • SASKFARMER's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 11:29 43 I still say something is up I would say extra credit is gone. Costs up so you work around. Next spring could be ugly. Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 13:54 44 Money is tight because EVERYTHING is way over priced. Addiction to iron and max inputs just don’t work when crops and prices end up Avg at worst. We need a fix on this big shotitis mentality. Land price and rent are ridiculous and until guys lose out for a couple years the stupidity will continue. Some of these young guys don’t have a clue about hard times. If u were young helping on the farm in the eighties u understood the fine line between winning and losing. Like most things as time moves on a lot forget about the past or never experienced it so it becomes the new norm. Then Bam the holy F#@$ moment hits and they’re like what do we do? Don’t wish it on anyone but the bigger is better mentality is way out of hand. For some it is just never enuf. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 16:50 45
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    My biggest issue this year is calibration of my Morris tank. Fert from Richardson's very inconsistent. Very dusty and goes through the drill to fast and the next load almost wet. Recalibrating all the time. Most years my tank is very accurate and easy to set but very different this year.
    It might not work for everyone, but since going liquid, I haven't had one problem. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar May 17, 2019 | 21:01 46 The bit of rain made soil moist for canola, killed dust, even sticking to packers.Name:  006.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  96.8 KB Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 21:03 47 Hmmmm
    Last few cold mornings on the full moon 🌕 ... hmm
    Reply With Quote
    May 17, 2019 | 21:11 48 This cool pattern was not going to change until this set up happened
    Full moon 🌕 rise at the sun set ...


    Now the growing season begins 👍👍 Reply With Quote
    May 18, 2019 | 05:54 49
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    This cool pattern was not going to change until this set up happened
    Full moon 🌕 rise at the sun set ...


    Now the growing season begins 👍👍
    Hope your right. At least with full moon I sleep little. Might as well seed. [IMG]https://www.agriville.com/upload_image/uploades/medium/8501558180400.jpg[/IMG
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like