• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly to wish for

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly to wish for

After doing a pasture walk today to see how things are coming along after this last round of snow, I got to thinking about what one should be wishing for. I'm glad to hear that the border is opening just a hair further for cattle; I wish that an announcement would be made about sheep and the other ruminants, or at least get some word out about what will be happening with them.

It is so nice to see things greening up, although we could still see some cold, wet and snowy weather yet - all of which we will take, especially the moisture in whatever form it comes.

Where my wishful dilemma comes from is what this growing season will bring. I would like to see enough moisture that the crops and the forage crops can grow. I would also like to see some cold, wet weather the first week or so of June to get rid of whatever grasshoppers are going to be hatching. I'm sure that there are many of us that would hate to see the pastures come nice and green, only to have those blasted grasshoppers come and eat it all again. I had kind of forgotten just how much damage those hoppers had done last year, but as I do pasture walks, it is all coming back. If we're just going to be plagued by the hoppers and drought again this year, it almost seems a little pointless to wish for greenery.

It is sort of sobering to think about how little we have control of out there and how we need to be grateful for what we have. I'm looking forward to the new lamb crop coming - this is something new for us to lamb so late as we normally have lambed out by this time. Seeing all those babies jumping around will be very uplifting.

What are some of the rest of you wishing for?

I have to agree about wishing for many things, whether it be different temps and rainfall at different times of the year or the border opening. But I never look at the possibilities but more at the givens, such as the fact that I know at least one calf will amuse me with it's excitable antics when I take a trip through the cattle.

The simple pleasures are what makes me want to stay in this business.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...