• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferocious Cattle Board Collapse

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferocious Cattle Board Collapse

Both live and feeder cattle have been pummeled over the past two (2) weeks, Live cattle have lost about $12/cwt while feeders are off as much as $17/cwt. This caught many unexpecting . . . . Wholesale beef cutouts have been in steady decline this week suggesting the spring cash cattle market highs are in.

Texas / Kansas cash cattle appear trading $120 to $122/cwt this week, well off early spring highs of $128 - $129/cwt. Alberta fed cattle have held up well with steers hovering around $1.60/lb on a live basis. Technically, live and feeder cattle are extremely oversold, but does anyone care right now?

This sell-off suggests the North American consumer is not doing so well despite ongoing gov't chatter of healthy economies. This appears to be following the overall broad-based selloff in commodity markets.

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
    Both live and feeder cattle have been pummeled over the past two (2) weeks, Live cattle have lost about $12/cwt while feeders are off as much as $17/cwt. This caught many unexpecting . . . . Wholesale beef cutouts have been in steady decline this week suggesting the spring cash cattle market highs are in.

Texas / Kansas cash cattle appear trading $120 to $122/cwt this week, well off early spring highs of $128 - $129/cwt. Alberta fed cattle have held up well with steers hovering around $1.60/lb on a live basis. Technically, live and feeder cattle are extremely oversold, but does anyone care right now?

This sell-off suggests the North American consumer is not doing so well despite ongoing gov't chatter of healthy economies. This appears to be following the overall broad-based selloff in commodity markets.
    It's only off if you have never had the privilege of selling calves for 80 cents a pound.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      It's only off if you have never had the privilege of selling calves for 80 cents a pound.....lol
      80 cent calves is like $4 canola. Nothing to get excited about unless diesel goes back to 20 cents as well.

I bought some price insurance for about 20% of our yearlings two weeks ago as the price was decent........... guess I should have bought more. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Comment

Board collapse. **** off. Only collapse in recent history was May 20, 2003 when you couldn't give the ****ing things away. This is a slight correction. Major collapse maybe to those morons who never learned the lessons of raising cattle and slim margins.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
          ...Only collapse in recent history was May 20, 2003 when you couldn't give the ****ing things away.....
          Maybe so with cows and fats but the feeder price didn't really collapse until early in 2004. February 2004 was the low point.

Comment

Board collapse. **** off. Only collapse in recent history was May 20, 2003 when you couldn't give the ****ing things away. This is a slight correction. Major collapse maybe to those morons who never learned the lessons of raising cattle and slim margins.
            Before that day I viewed cattle as an asset but since have regarded them as a liability that needs to be fed every day and can die for no apparent reason. The only time they have value is when they’re sold and the cheque is in your hands. Otherwise they’re nice to look at and have around.

Comment

Wonder how much of this bullshit pardon the language but bullshit about livestock warming the earth? Is affecting demand? Moronswiuid rather eat a piece of jelly made in a lab And is what more natural?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                Wonder how much of this bullshit pardon the language but bullshit about livestock warming the earth? Is affecting demand? Moronswiuid rather eat a piece of jelly made in a lab And is what more natural?
                Canada can't eat their way out of the pulse mess....35 million people in a land of production based farming....

The next thing they will have is beef flavoured Nutella spread....

Just use toast and voila ....the breakfast hamburger. ....

Comment

Sold some dry cows for a $1.08 avg/a lb. Not too bad for a Board collapse?

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                    Sold some dry cows for a $1.08 avg/a lb. Not too bad for a Board collapse?
                    As I have always said, give me a buck a pound for culls and I will never ask for a cent more. If I can send 10 cows to market and walk away with 15 grand, I'm a happy guy.

Comment

As I have always said, give me a buck a pound for culls and I will never ask for a cent more. If I can send 10 cows to market and walk away with 15 grand, I'm a happy guy.
                      Yup ....you buy a bred heifer for 2200 bucks then use her for 10 years and sell her for 1500 bucks....open....if my tractors had that value after 3 years grain farming wouldn't look so depressing...

Although if the liberals had a chance they would find a way to recapture the depreciation on cows....lol...

Good thing grassfarmer supports the liberals....that is just a friendly dig grass....not an insult..

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        Yup ....you buy a bred heifer for 2200 bucks then use her for 10 years and sell her for 1500 bucks....open....if my tractors had that value after 3 years grain farming wouldn't look so depressing...
                        Talk's cheap - you're all free to go make your living solely from cattle if it's so lucrative. I think most would miss the hundreds of dollars an acre revenue and the winters in the sun....and you'd likely still have to own machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          Talk's cheap - you're all free to go make your living solely from cattle if it's so lucrative. I think most would miss the hundreds of dollars an acre revenue and the winters in the sun....and you'd likely still have to own machinery.
                          I think you missed part of my post....why so bitter?????

Comment

Seasonally, fed cattle prices across North America remain under pressure. Kansas cash bids heard $116 to $117/cwt this week, off $2 to $3 of-late. June live cattle have plunged recently from $123 to below $110/cwt this week. Board remains wobbly.

Alberta cash is coming down with fed steers last heard around $155/cwt. Expect fed bids to continue to weaken into early summer . . . possibly $140 or lower before cash lows approach, we'll see.

Cow market has been firm, but spring top may be approaching. Cdn dollar remains rangebound in our view. Major support seen @ 73 1/2 cents, heavy resistance at 76 1/2 cents U.S., opinion for what it's worth . . . .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...