March Intentions of Principal Field Crop vs Farmers real plans.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

March Intentions of Principal Field Crop vs Farmers real plans.

SASKFARMER's Avatar Apr 24, 2019 | 06:37 1 Canadian farmers anticipate planting more acres of wheat, corn, dry peas and oats in 2019 compared with 2018, while seeding intentions for canola, soybeans and lentils have declined relative to the previous year.

Planting intentions may have been influenced by ongoing issues, including lower prices for some crops as a result of global supply, tariffs and decreased foreign demand due to ongoing trade issues.

Given the intention of farmers to plant a greater area of wheat, corn, and dry field peas, there is an expected increase in seeded area for grains, pulse and special crops, while oilseeds are anticipated to decrease given the lower seeded area of canola and soybeans.

Canadian farmers intended to plant 25.7 million acres of wheat in 2019, up 3.8% from 2018.

Farmers expect to plant 6.6% fewer acres of canola, to 21.3 million acres in 2019 compared with the previous year. If seeding intentions are realized, this would represent the lowest seeded area of canola since 2016 and 1.6% lower than the five-year average of 21.7 million acres.

Farmers in Canada expect to seed 5.6 million acres of soybeans in 2019, down 10.7% from 6.3 million acres in 2018. Dry conditions over the past two years in Western Canada contributed to lower yields,
which may have contributed to some farmers deciding to decrease the seeded area of soybeans.

Farmers expect to seed more acres of barley compared with 2018. The larger expected seeded area in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta could push the total anticipated area up 10.2% to 7.2 million acres in 2019.

Corn acres up also.

So my seeding intentions.

HRS 4500

Canola 4000

Barley 500

Peas 500

Oats 500

We have a match, boys.

Ah, I love math.

Have a great day.



What are others thinking and is this about right? I said Canola acres would be down as guys aren't doing Canola Snow Canola. Unless they are in bed with a company. Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2019 | 06:52 2
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
Canadian farmers anticipate planting more acres of wheat, corn, dry peas and oats in 2019 compared with 2018, while seeding intentions for canola, soybeans and lentils have declined relative to the previous year.

Planting intentions may have been influenced by ongoing issues, including lower prices for some crops as a result of global supply, tariffs and decreased foreign demand due to ongoing trade issues.

Given the intention of farmers to plant a greater area of wheat, corn, and dry field peas, there is an expected increase in seeded area for grains, pulse and special crops, while oilseeds are anticipated to decrease given the lower seeded area of canola and soybeans.

Canadian farmers intended to plant 25.7 million acres of wheat in 2019, up 3.8% from 2018.

Farmers expect to plant 6.6% fewer acres of canola, to 21.3 million acres in 2019 compared with the previous year. If seeding intentions are realized, this would represent the lowest seeded area of canola since 2016 and 1.6% lower than the five-year average of 21.7 million acres.

Farmers in Canada expect to seed 5.6 million acres of soybeans in 2019, down 10.7% from 6.3 million acres in 2018. Dry conditions over the past two years in Western Canada contributed to lower yields,
which may have contributed to some farmers deciding to decrease the seeded area of soybeans.

Farmers expect to seed more acres of barley compared with 2018. The larger expected seeded area in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta could push the total anticipated area up 10.2% to 7.2 million acres in 2019.

Corn acres up also.

So my seeding intentions.

HRS 4500

Canola 4000

Barley 500

Peas 500

Oats 500

We have a match, boys.

Ah, I love math.

Have a great day.



What are others thinking and is this about right? I said Canola acres would be down as guys aren't doing Canola Snow Canola. Unless they are in bed with a company.
How do seed 500 ac? Why not just call it 480??
Maybe your quarters are 166.667 ac??
Only one in your math that makes any scence is the 4000 canola. We have guys around here that like to round numbers up, especially when it comes to yield. 😄
Just giving you a hard time SK3 Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar Apr 24, 2019 | 06:55 3 Ok, I like your humour.


It's the new math I really embrace it and round up.

HAHAHAHAHA

I do Reply With Quote
ajl
Apr 24, 2019 | 06:57 4 Likely a realistic guesstimate. Canola acreage is still way too high as farmers need to grow less of that commodity. The Chinese will buy canola but less of it and what they do buy will be lower priced. Oat and barley acreage will rise significantly. Am happy that wheat acreage is not up by more than that as its price has tanked lately too. Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2019 | 07:19 5
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
Ok, I like your humour.


It's the new math I really embrace it and round up.

HAHAHAHAHA

I do
Wheat is actually up 12%, just got the same report as you. That’s a significant increase. Durum down 18%, is it too late to change plans?
I bought new durum seed, maybe should have cleaned some of my own.
Planned on more wheat simply because the AC Brandon has beaten my durum for two years straight. There’s still going to be a ton of durum carryover from the 17 and 18 crop out there. Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2019 | 07:24 6 So if all western farmers put canola on a proper 3 yr rotation, our problems would be solved? That's probably the only way this gets solved. Forget about the govt. Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2019 | 07:49 7
Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
So if all western farmers put canola on a proper 3 yr rotation, our problems would be solved? That's probably the only way this gets solved. Forget about the govt.
Every farmer having canola in a proper 3 year rotation? Ummm...good luck with that.
Many farmers can’t afford not to grow canola. You should have seen the clubroot clouds after the heavy harrows the past couple of days.
I can never decide if I agree with SF3 or not, but the whole farming thing is getting weird. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Apr 24, 2019 | 08:28 8 Canola 28%
    HRS 28%
    Peas 22%
    Summerfallow 22% Reply With Quote
    Apr 24, 2019 | 15:44 9 "Canadian farmers intended to plant 25.7 million acres of wheat in 2019, up 3.8% from 2018."


    How do they come up with this shit? No one asked me 🤭. Last I checked I was a canadian farmer. I guess some one must have stood up and spoken for me Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • fjlip's Avatar Apr 24, 2019 | 19:15 10
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach View Post
    "Canadian farmers intended to plant 25.7 million acres of wheat in 2019, up 3.8% from 2018."


    How do they come up with this shit? No one asked me 🤭. Last I checked I was a canadian farmer. I guess some one must have stood up and spoken for me
    It is just like MY QUESTIONS of all the World temps and CO2 numbers, HOW DO THEY COME UP WITH THIS SHIT? Just a wild ass guess and it must be absolutely believed to several decimal points or you are A CROP DENIER! They can probably PREDICT acreages for nect 10 years like the lying Climate Scientists do!
    Last edited by fjlip; Apr 24, 2019 at 19:18.
    Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes