Seeding Plans/Intentions

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Seeding Plans/Intentions

Apr 19, 2019 | 08:19 1 With the fall in canola and wheat in the last little while has anyone re-adjusted their seeding plans? Nothing really stands out for a big switch.
Maybe some that were going to grow more wheat might switch to more durum with durum market showing a little better price going forward.
I’m not changing anything, it would likely back fire if I did. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 08:31 2 Like I posted we’re still

4000 canola

5000 hrs

500 peas

500 barley

Canola down to get rotation back Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 08:42 3 I don't care what my tennant seeds as long as he maintains a healthy rotation on my land and pays his $80/acre rent!!!!!! Reply With Quote

• Apr 19, 2019 | 10:02 4
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    I don't care what my tennant seeds as long as he maintains a healthy rotation on my land and pays his $80/acre rent!!!!!!
    Your getting ripped 100 minimum or don’t waste my time. Hahahaha Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Partners's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 10:23 5 No change as all fert was applied last fall..
    With current prices there might not be much money left to pay any high rents.. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 11:12 6
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    Your getting ripped 100 minimum or don’t waste my time. Hahahaha
    I was trying to be realistic for the Slum of the Ghetto, not wishful. Reply With Quote
    Apr 19, 2019 | 11:37 7
    I don't care what my tennant seeds as long as he maintains a healthy rotation on my land and pays his $80/acre rent!!!!!!
    At 80 bucks an acre ..you are making more money than the guy renting....how do live with yourself????

lmao.... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 11:51 8
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    At 80 bucks an acre ..you are making more money than the guy renting....how do live with yourself????

lmao....
    .....I've no conscience! Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 11:57 9 Stats Can already guessing farmers are increasing oats and barley, nothing left to rotate any way, NO magic crop/bullet. Only if somehow production is affected, just repeat and wait as usual. Reply With Quote
    Apr 19, 2019 | 13:48 10 Waiting for a market to come back apparently is the strategy....unfortunately other countries are no longer buffoons ...Russia has learnt agriculture is a mainstay industry and support it...

We are well on our way to what the Russians were...to the detriment of the Canadian economy as a whole.... Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Apr 19, 2019 | 14:48 11 Don't like wearing out expensive machinery on small margin crops. 25% summerfallow, first time in 30 years. Reply With Quote

• Apr 19, 2019 | 15:52 12 Oats, barley, hemp. 25% plowdown.
    Same as every year. I hope to break even, I could use the money. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 19, 2019 | 15:57 13 Attempting an intercrop and a cover crop this yr. Gotta change. My instincts tell me business as usual is not the way forward and because our land costs are in the $75 range we have a bit more room to move than the big rent guys. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 16:47 14
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    Oats, barley, hemp. 25% plowdown.
    Same as every year. I hope to break even, I could use the money.
    LOL, what a guy.... Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 16:50 15
    Quote Originally Posted by lesmt View Post
    Don't like wearing out expensive machinery on small margin crops. 25% summerfallow, first time in 30 years.
    I will need identifying photo evidence halfway through the season...hopefully its chemfallow. I'm from Missouri. Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Apr 19, 2019 | 18:23 16 The people buying at auctions must know something we don't. Reply With Quote
    Apr 19, 2019 | 21:36 17 Say if gas were to go to $5/l will people stop driving? Nope they will drive until all the plastic in their wallet is exausted.

Farmers are doing the same damn thing. Making it up on production, like running buffalo over the jump. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Apr 20, 2019 | 06:37 18 People will change their lifestyle due to taxes by cutting discretionary purchases or searching for alternatives there. So eat out less times a month or put up an expensive iffy solar array on your house. Stop driving or give up your morning timmies. Lower your home heat during the polar vortex or make the kid clothes last another couple months. Take a plane trip with the family or just do a staycation at the lake. Pay huge costs for groceries with carbon taxes or take a 24 to trumpland and load up on cheap milk, meat, booze and gas.

Canadas GDP will suffer because of it one way or another because people have lifestyle alternatives readily available. They don't have feasible energy alternatives. We will probably get our emissions reductions as well not by actually doing anything environmental, but by exporting and sacrificing a portion of our consumer economy.
    Last edited by jazz; Apr 20, 2019 at 06:39.

• Apr 20, 2019 | 21:21 19 Don’t know why anyone would seed more oats and barley. It’s itchy and takes more bins. Seriously though you need big yields to make barley net better than wheat, and when you have land that wheat and barley yields within 10 bushels why? I can never understand. Only reason I grow barley is because I have cows.
    This year I plan to grow about the same mix as usual except more green feed and a field of summer grazing to supplement adjacent pasture. Was planning to seed lots more canola but chickened out. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Apr 20, 2019 | 21:32 20 I plan on seeding with good intentions....

The Pirate ship "SS Ghetto" is ready to set sail. Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Apr 21, 2019 | 07:20 21 Hey, you better get going your neighbour has a bunch seeded.

I hate to say it but every single time I seeded in April we had a shit show.

So it still looks like go day is May 1 North of the Valley. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Apr 21, 2019 | 07:45 22
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Hey, you better get going your neighbour has a bunch seeded.

I hate to say it but every single time I seeded in April we had a shit show.

So it still looks like go day is May 1 North of the Valley.
    We're small enough to time our start date to something reasonable. Flying that Jolly Roger flag indicates we Pirates will take over the SS Early-birds bounty when it sinks...just kidding, not looking to control the whole Ghetto Sea. Reply With Quote
    Apr 21, 2019 | 07:54 23 Grandpa used to say it was time to seed when the leaf's were the size of a mouse's ear. Reply With Quote
    Apr 21, 2019 | 08:39 24 Doesn't look ghetto to me. I am embarrassed to post pics of my seeding rig. I only seed at night so nobody can see it. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 21, 2019 | 08:52 25 I have always said farma and sask3 protest way to much !!! Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Apr 21, 2019 | 08:55 26
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    Doesn't look ghetto to me. I am embarrassed to post pics of my seeding rig. I only seed at night so nobody can see it.
    I like kidding around and write/post for entertainment purposes. No value.... Reply With Quote
    Apr 21, 2019 | 09:53 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I have always said farma and sask3 protest way to much !!!

I always shudder when I see peoples equipment line worth more than my entire land base and house. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• farmaholic's Avatar Apr 21, 2019 | 10:18 28
    I always shudder when I see peoples equipment line worth more than my entire land base and house.
    Ghetto house is pretty bloody basic, no southern US property, no cabin at any Sask slough(or anywhere for that matter, not alot of toys....finally finishing the restoration project I started three decades ago.... don't do multiple hot holidays every year, the Slum is four generations old(fifth starting, hopefully more to come)...there better be "some" equity here, glad I was able to maintain and grow it with support from the previous generation(a we effort!).

That seeding outfit is in it's seventh year. Who wants a Ghetto Versi tractor? We have some 40-50 year old equipment here.... that still gets used!

We are each free to live our lives as we wish....within our means!

If I want what SF3 has(or others who have "more"[by what unit of measure?] than me), I better be willing to clam up(mouth) and put out(greater effort). Works hard plays hard. Never begrudge a man his wealth or success...and we don't all start right at the starting line, some are behind it and some in front of it...then it depends how we each choose to run the race! And for God's sake, quit measuring success in only dollars and cents! Reply With Quote
    Apr 21, 2019 | 10:28 29
    We are each free to live our lives as we wish....within our means!
    I could get SF3 to whip my harvest off on his coffee break

We have such barriers to expansion here now. Land trading at $600k a quarter cuts off a lot of people. We should have been expanding 7 yrs ago but instead were just trying to find our feet. Hard to see another entry point coming before my farming career comes to a close. Reply With Quote
    Apr 21, 2019 | 11:12 30
    I could get SF3 to whip my harvest off on his coffee break

We have such barriers to expansion here now. Land trading at $600k a quarter cuts off a lot of people. We should have been expanding 7 yrs ago but instead were just trying to find our feet. Hard to see another entry point coming before my farming career comes to a close.
    Might be a lot closer than you think , lol Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like