• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treating Seed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating Seed

What do you all think of painting your seed? I have done it lots over the years but never really know if it pays. I have left strips of untreated and never notice much difference in the way the crop comes up or have been able to find the strips with the combine yield monitor.

I know the chem reps can show you pictures of big healthy plants for the treated side and weak plants in the non-treated side. Many different times I have asked chem company's if they have yield data where they have compared treated to non treated and they always say they do but when I ask to see this data they say sure, but I have yet see it.

I treat any cereal that has a “S” rating for loose smut, which pretty much is every variety.
    Barley is a given.
    I always wonder myself if I’m wasting money.
    I think towards the end of seeding you don’t have to treat as the ground is warm.

Comment

I have yet to see any data that says it pays ... but we still do it . The whole industry guilts one into doing it or your an incompetent farmer lol .
      We use the cheapest treatment we can them add a nutrient. We know it pays from tests .
      The expensive seed treatment is iffy at best for net returns , JMO. I have seen lots of fancy pictures as well . But hard data of a solid net return is about as scarce as Trudeau telling the truth about anything lol.
      I have always been on the fence with seed treatments. They can be effective but I also know they make a bloody fortune off them from the manufacture. So it’s a hard pill to swallow. Like getting genuine parts from a Deere or Case dealer .. your know for a fact your getting screwed bad but sometimes you gotta do it .

Comment

Yes it is considered an insurance, but after a while one can waste all your income on insurance that will almost never pay . But every area is different, some ever wet areas most likely pays off .
        Here , at best it would be 50/50 n

Comment

Never worry with disease free seed and warm ground, barley or wheat
          Seed with issues or cold ground is when it might be good insurance

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
            Never worry with disease free seed and warm ground, barley or wheat
            Seed with issues or cold ground is when it might be good insurance
            Agreed! Poor seed compounds the problem.

Comment

If there isn't one thin dime of payback for the farmer.....leave it in the jug!

Agree on the "poor seed" or cold soils with slow emergence though....although we seldom treat our seed.

Maybe sometimes they're as effective as Prosper and Helix is against flea beetles! Nuff sed!

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                Agreed! Poor seed compounds the problem.
                Very few guys anywhere use “poor” seed . Really ? With the cost of land, inputs and machinery who would risk “poor” seed ?? Might as well cut your brake lines then go for a drive through the Rockies lol . Although this year may not be an option for some .

Comment

Not much choice here, all the seed is poor, and please dont tell me to go buy non existing certified or be a criminal and buy some from a neighbor.

Comment

Just think of how the seed treatments add to your rebate program cheque, that alone makes using them a no-brainer!

God, anybody reading that better understand sarcasm!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Just think of how the seed treatments add to your rebate program cheque, that alone makes using them a no-brainer!

God, anybody reading that better understand sarcasm!
                      I like using them only because they are a good tax right-off. We need all the right-offs we can get her with these soaring prices. 😬

Comment

Ever notice how they promote the guy that got 7 more bpa using it but the average is only 3 extra bushels ....that means someone wasn't getting any benefit in order to average down....

Comment

I just use the cheap stuff Vitaflo on my barley seed for smut etc, it it wont get me any rebates so I guess I am not cool.

Comment

Cruiser Viberamce Quattro is $6.25 bu, that’s the “Cadillac” treatment. We are hardly getting that price for wheat or durum. So it’s hard to justify using it.
                            I use Raxil Pro way cheaper, doesn’t have the wireworm insecticide in it. Seed litttle heavier if needed if you have a problem with da worms.

Comment

Stay ahead of the pack....be "progressive" and give the crop the best of everything.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...