• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the bigger problem...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the bigger problem...

climate change or illegal immigration? And if you deny climate change is happening, does that mean you condone illegal immigration? An article in today's NYT says 28% of the Hondurans in last year's caravan were farms/farm workers and climate change was one of the reasons they were trying to sneak into US. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/world/americas/coffee-climate-change-migration.html?emc=edit_th_190414&nl=todaysheadlin es&nlid=509750830414 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/world/americas/coffee-climate-change-migration.html?emc=edit_th_190414&nl=todaysheadlin es&nlid=509750830414

Something about the above comment has me concerned.

I would have to ask a few simple questions.

One was in the USA are these poor migrants going to be able to afford more than an inch of land. Have you priced out the cost of an acre of land in the USA?

Second climate change is happening and destroying were they come from.

Ah, I'm sitting on my front deck and can't believe in three weeks every single thing I pruned has grown back. I'm roughly the same area just on the north side not south of where these people come from.

So again just how stupid are people to believe this bullshit. Just asking for a friend.

Comment

The bigger problem is the people endorsing climate change ...like Trudeau ....do more harm flying around than the people ....like farmers who do things to make it better....

Trudeau has flown a lot of miles in the last month....and he doesn't even pay a carbon tax on his free taxpayer funded trips....the carbon tax alone on his trips would exceed 10000 dollars.....why does he get an advance from his trust fund to pay it.....
      Last edited by bucket; Apr 14, 2019, 07:52.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
        climate change or illegal immigration?
        Neither, I deny both. We have had all the same disease issues here years ago. Rust has devastated crops in the north too. Our methods of farming have reduced these diseases as well as diversifying into other crops.

But some of the guys may be suited for US orchards and plantations so why not apply as a temp seasonal worker.

There have always been disasters everywhere but what keeps us ahead of the game is our technological progress. I doubt Honduras went through a decade of blowing dirt like our grandparents did in the 30s.
        Last edited by jazz; Apr 14, 2019, 07:48.

Comment

You addressed virtually this same question on the dairy farmer thread.

“Most coffee farmers live with less than $2 per day and grow coffee in areas below two hectares for a total production lesser than 6 bags, 360Kg kilograms of coffee per year.”

https://thecoffee.blog/all/market/how-coffee-price-below-1-00-affect-coffee-farmers/

The question should read: What is your government currently using to scare you and how effective is it.

My vote goes to Climate Change.

I think the climate will have near 0 effect on my short life but Government climate programs will sap away my lifestyle.

Comment

Climate change or forcing farmers into even more poverty with bad government policies? Hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post

My vote goes to Climate Change.

I think the climate will have near 0 effect on my short life but Government climate programs will sap away my lifestyle.
              I am not worried about my lifestyle ....its my kids that Trudeau is ****ing with....Trudeau's kids are well taken care of on either topic.....immigrants for daycare and grandpa's oil money for the trust fund kids...

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

Ah, I'm sitting on my front deck and can't believe in three weeks every single thing I pruned has grown back. I'm roughly the same area just on the north side not south of where these people come from.

So again just how stupid are people to believe this bullshit. Just asking for a friend.
                Same area??? Honduras is at 15 degrees NORTH or roughly 1000 miles north of the equator. The southern border of the prairies is 49 degrees NORTH or roughly 3400 miles north of the equator.
                In what way do you consider Saskatchewan the same area as "where these people come from"? Are your Saskatchewan coffee crops failing too?

You do illustrate your point very well about stupid people.
                Last edited by dmlfarmer; Apr 14, 2019, 09:28.

Comment

Every Canadian farmer has had a crop failure of one type or another. Maybe they should learn to code which is what we are told when we have problems.

Whats your solution dml? Anyone who is experiencing climate change or persecution or war or poverty in their own country should be stuffed in here?

Comment

Same area??? Honduras is at 15 degrees NORTH or roughly 1000 miles north of the equator. The southern border of the prairies is 49 degrees NORTH or roughly 3400 miles north of the equator.
                    In what way do you consider Saskatchewan the same area as "where these people come from"? Are your Saskatchewan coffee crops failing too?

I might be out on a limb here but he mentioned the oarnge trees that were pruned. Could it be he is talking about florida 🤨

Comment

I'm guessing fakefarmer3 was speaking from one of his numerous holiday properties around the world?

Farmers have been moving off the land for centuries, moving to the cities, new locations or to different jobs as agriculture falls into less and less hands. Migration of people is not new it's being going on for thousands of years, fluctuating over the years with crisis in various areas of the world driving it. Famine, drought, war, political crisis. The effects of climate change are certainly a driver of increased global migration at the moment and not for the first time an increase in migration leads to an increase in calls to curtail it by affluent people in the destination countries. The issues of climate change and mass migration are definitely connected, both are real and both are occurring.

Comment

climate change or illegal immigration? And if you deny climate change is happening, does that mean you condone illegal immigration? An article in today's NYT says 28% of the Hondurans in last year's caravan were farms/farm workers and climate change was one of the reasons they were trying to sneak into US. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/world/americas/coffee-climate-change-migration.html?emc=edit_th_190414&nl=todaysheadlin es&nlid=509750830414 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/world/americas/coffee-climate-change-migration.html?emc=edit_th_190414&nl=todaysheadlin es&nlid=509750830414
                        So similar to the collapse of the Maya civilization and others of South America before the Spanish arrived? And before fossil fuels? Because that is accurately documented. So yes it has happened well before fossil fuels all over the world actually. Human activity has had to deal with climate change all throughout history.
                        Most natural cycles with some of it compounded by excessive local human populations and the resulting local deterioration of environmental conditions.
                        All before fossil fuels and carbon tax .
                        Also earthquakes, and mostly volcanoes 🌋 did a lot of the climate change beside natural changes and cycles .

Comment

Furrow , couldnt agree more . Climate change is real , been happening since the beginning of this earth and will be here long after mankind is gone . Imagine how hot the earth was when there were palm trees in the artctic. I am worried about our oceans though . Wished they could stop the polluting all over the world

Comment

When you dont have merit based immigration it becomes a real problem. 90,000 plus a month trying to enter the u.s. now. Most have no intention to live any different than they did where they came from. Eventually these different groups will fight for supremacy in their new land. History will tell you that. I've got nothing against immigration but there will come a time when there will be a war over culture and religion. Its inevitable. People are coming here en masse that have different ideologies and religions. They cant tolerate things in their native countries but they let us believe that they will change if they can come to Canada and the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                              When you dont have merit based immigration it becomes a real problem. 90,000 plus a month trying to enter the u.s. now. Most have no intention to live any different than they did where they came from. Eventually these different groups will fight for supremacy in their new land. History will tell you that. I've got nothing against immigration but there will come a time when there will be a war over culture and religion. Its inevitable. People are coming here en masse that have different ideologies and religions. They cant tolerate things in their native countries but they let us believe that they will change if they can come to Canada and the U.S.
                              Agree
                              That will eventually, not far off btw, collapse the US economy. There is no way any country can economically sustain that kind of of burden.
                              Controlled immigration is healthy , uncontrolled immigration is a national economic suicide .
                              Said it before , watch France , Sweden, Germany..... their cultures and economies are collapsing or will be shortly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.