• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC carbon Tax ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
    Good point Bucket it definitely had an impact the last two years.

2017- the extra smoke from northern SK (arsonists, lightning, etc) cooled everything off about 10C for 10 days approximately and produced a great crop.
    2018- the extra smoke caused by arsonists, lightning, etc in BC set crops back a good week which caused some downgrading after the Sept 7th frost.
    Wasn't it like a greenhouse effect???

The extra C02 that plants like had nothing to do with it?????

I say ...let them forests burn....bumper crop guaranteed....why should I use my brain....no one else does?????

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Wasn't it like a greenhouse effect???

The extra C02 that plants like had nothing to do with it?????

I say ...let them forests burn....bumper crop guaranteed....why should I use my brain....no one else does?????
      Where do you keep coming up with this bullshit?
      As if plants need C02? I suppose you read that on some scientific journal? Jeeezz man!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
        Gas at the pumps here has risen from a $1 to $1.269 a litre in less than 2 months. The carbon tax was responsible for 4c of that rise yet that small amount is going to break us all and ruin the economy and life as we know it? Imagine what oil company profiteering and collusion are going to do then.
        Actually its 4.4 plus 5% closer to 5 cents
        The only hope we could have against these thieving oil co’s is the govt and they are on the oil co side

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Yup and once its too expensive to put a crop in ...then what???

I am not sure people in this country understand the importance of agricultural exports from this country and what it does for the economy????

And where is the train I can hop on to buy groceries....
          I think he means you hop on the train to go live in the city and buy groceries. Like the people did 100 years ago. Let the government look after your place. :P

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            Actually its 4.4 plus 5% closer to 5 cents
            The only hope we could have against these thieving oil co’s is the govt and they are on the oil co side
            This is at the $20/tonne rate.
            When it increases to $50/tonne = 12.5 cents

Propane, NG, fertilizer will all have similar increases if Boy Blunder gets a another term.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Opinion
              Don’t believe a carbon tax can effect huge change? Just ask British Columbia
              Jill Tipping and Maximilian Kniewasser
              Contributed to The Globe and Mail
              Published 21 hours ago
              Updated April 5, 2019

Jill Tipping is president and CEO of the BC Tech Association. Maximilian Kniewasser is director of the B.C. clean economy program at the Pembina Institute.

With the federal government’s backstop price on carbon pollution taking effect this week in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick, opponents of this vital climate solution have ratcheted up the bombast. However, British Columbia’s experience with its carbon tax provides an effective counterpoint to many of the myths and misconceptions in circulation.

B.C. strengthened its carbon tax on April 1, raising the rate by $5 per tonne to $40 per tonne. When B.C. first introduced its carbon tax 11 years ago, it was the first economy-wide price on carbon pollution in North America. Among explicit carbon prices, B.C.’s is still tops on the continent.

While some would have us believe that putting a price on pollution hurts the economy and doesn’t reduce climate-destabilizing carbon emissions, B.C.’s experience clearly shows this rhetoric doesn’t stand up to the facts. We now have more than a decade of data available. Since introducing pollution pricing in 2008, per capita emissions in B.C. are down by 14 per cent, while the economy has grown by 26 per cent.

How has B.C.’s economy fared during the past decade? In short, excellent. Among Canadian provinces, B.C. has registered the fastest rate of economic growth since 2008. B.C.’s outperformance is forecast to continue – even accelerate – through 2019 and 2020, according to RBC Economic Research. Canada’s westernmost province also boasts the lowest unemployment rate, the lowest personal-tax rate for incomes under $125,000 and one of the lowest corporate-tax rates in the country. Indeed, B.C. is even being described as Canada’s new economic powerhouse.

Of course, we can’t confuse correlation and causation. But B.C.’s recent history and forecast of strong economic performance suggests that pricing pollution is more likely to help, not hinder, growth – especially as the world increasingly transitions to a cleaner economy.

B.C.’s booming clean-tech industry is a prime example of the benefits of pricing pollution. Entrepreneurs cite carbon pricing as a key tool for stimulating clean innovation. In B.C., clean tech is on a roll, posting job growth that’s among the fastest of any sector in the province.

B.C. is home to seven of the companies on the 2019 Global Cleantech 100 list, more than the rest of the country combined. According to Cleantech Group, the firms on the list have collectively raised more than US$14-trillion in investment. With B.C. companies leading the way and ready to serve the world, B.C.’s clean-tech industry will provide a huge competitive advantage in ensuring an increasingly prosperous future for the province.

It’s an enviable position to be in, thanks, in part, to B.C.’s carbon tax.

None of this is surprising, of course. Putting a price on something that you don’t want (pollution) and using the revenue for something that you do want (such as lowering other taxes or investing in better infrastructure) makes economic and common sense. As Spencer Dale, group chief economist for energy giant BP, told Reuters: “If you want to reduce something, if you want to ration something, the best way of doing that is you put a price on it and that then provides incentive for everybody to play their role. … A carbon price, I think, is critical if we are to achieve that rapid transition to a low-carbon world.”

B.C.’s carbon tax is real-world proof that this simple economic concept holds true. Per capita consumption of fuels covered by the carbon tax is down in the province compared to the rest of the country, while B.C.’s economy has steamed ahead.

At the same time, we are using money raised by the carbon tax to lower personal income taxes (resulting in the lowest income taxes in the country for all but the highest earners) and corporate taxes; to provide rebates to low-income and rural families to ensure they are better off; and, soon, to fund green infrastructure – improving the overall competitiveness of our economy. It has also helped B.C. become a global leader in one of the world’s fastest-growing industries. In short, the carbon tax is a key tool that’s successfully driving clean growth in B.C.

With increasing political rhetoric around pricing carbon pollution in Canada, it’s important to look at the facts. B.C.’s experience with the carbon tax – the country’s longest experiment with such a policy – has been unquestionably positive. This should embolden others to follow B.C.’s lead on effectively pricing pollution for both environmental and economic success.
              According to Statscan(Motor vehicle fuel sales 2017) Canadians purchased .3% less gasoline in 2017. Nationally net sales of diesel fuel increased by 5.9%. What I found interesting was yes B.C. had the largest decrease of any province in gasoline consumption but Quebec had the highest increase in gas consumption. Both provinces in 2017 had a carbon tax. As for diesel consumption every province and territory except for Newfoundland(-.6%) and Yukon(-1.7%) had higher net sales. It is certainly no secret B.C. has the most expensive gasoline in North America. I believe the city of Vancouver has a transit tax on gasoline of 17 cents a litre on top of a carbon tax. still won't convince me that a carbon tax is a good thing.

Comment

Everyone knows its just another tax grab
                Wtf are people gonna do , freeze inside their homes ?
                Some dumb pricks think it only applies to fuel/gas
                Some dont get that everything in this big country needs to be moved , with fuel

Comment

And what Chuck Fails to mention in his latest cut and paste Extolling the virtues of BC's CO2 tax, Is that their emissions have going up every year since 2015.

Omitting the inconvenient facts is no better than outright lying
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 6, 2019, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    And what Chuck Fails to mention in his latest cut and paste Extolling the virtues of BC's CO2 tax, Is that their commissions have going up every year since 2015.

Omitting the inconvenient facts is better than alright lying
                    Actually AB5 their emissions have been going up since 2012 but I certainly agree with your outlook.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      Actually AB5 their emissions have been going up since 2012 but I certainly agree with your outlook.
                      Sounds like the BC has an addiction for fossil fuels. They don’t seem to buy less fuel at these sky high prices.....it’s almost as if it’s a necessity for living.

Comment

If a carbon tax is so bad for the economy why is BC doing so well?
                        Maybe you should read or reread what was written in the article I posted.

"Since introducing pollution pricing in 2008, per capita emissions in B.C. are down by 14 per cent, while the economy has grown by 26 per cent."

"Among Canadian provinces, B.C. has registered the fastest rate of economic growth since 2008. B.C.’s outperformance is forecast to continue – even accelerate – through 2019 and 2020, according to RBC Economic Research. Canada’s westernmost province also boasts the lowest unemployment rate, the lowest personal-tax rate for incomes under $125,000 and one of the lowest corporate-tax rates in the country. Indeed, B.C. is even being described as Canada’s new economic powerhouse."

At the same time, we are using money raised by the carbon tax to lower personal income taxes (resulting in the lowest income taxes in the country for all but the highest earners) and corporate taxes; to provide rebates to low-income and rural families to ensure they are better off; and, soon, to fund green infrastructure – improving the overall competitiveness of our economy. It has also helped B.C. become a global leader in one of the world’s fastest-growing industries.

Comment

"Since introducing pollution pricing in 2008, per capita emissions in B.C. are down by 14 per cent, while the economy has grown by 26 per cent."

"Among Canadian provinces, B.C. has registered the fastest rate of economic growth since 2008. B.C.’s outperformance is forecast to continue – even accelerate – through 2019 and 2020, according to RBC Economic Research. Canada’s westernmost province also boasts the lowest unemployment rate, the lowest personal-tax rate for incomes under $125,000 and one of the lowest corporate-tax rates in the country. Indeed, B.C. is even being described as Canada’s new economic powerhouse."

At the same time, we are using money raised by the carbon tax to lower personal income taxes (resulting in the lowest income taxes in the country for all but the highest earners) and corporate taxes; to provide rebates to low-income and rural families to ensure they are better off; and, soon, to fund green infrastructure – improving the overall competitiveness of our economy. It has also helped B.C. become a global leader in one of the world’s fastest-growing industries.
                          According to B.C.'s website on GHG emissions in 2007 B.C. emitted 63.641 million tonnes of C02, population was 4.291 million people, per capita emissions were 14.83 tonnes. In 2016 which is the latest year available B.C. emitted 62.246 million tonnes, had a population of 4.648 million people and therefore per capita emissions of 13.395 tonnes. According to my math that that is a reduction of 9.68% not 14. What I would be interested in seeing is per capita emissions in every province comparing 2007 to 2016. Maybe when I get the time. By the way Chuck2 I asked you a few days ago how you were planning to lower your personal emissions by 30% by 2030 and no response!
                          Last edited by Hamloc; Apr 6, 2019, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                            According to B.C.'s website on GHG emissions in 2007 B.C. emitted 63.641 million tonnes of C02, population was 4.291 million people, per capita emissions were 14.83 tonnes. In 2016 which is the latest year available B.C. emitted 62.246 million tonnes, had a population of 4.648 million people and therefore per capita emissions of 13.395 tonnes. According to my math that that is a reduction of 9.68% not 14. What I would be interested in seeing is per capita emissions in every province comparing 2007 to 2016. Maybe when I get the time. By the way Chuck2 I asked you a few days ago how you were planning to lower your personal emissions by 30% by 2030 and no response!
                            House and shop have lots of insulation and high efficiency gas heating systems. Try to drive more fuel efficient vehicles when possible. PV Solar system is the biggest single reduction. I will consider a fully electric vehicle once the range is better and recharging network is expanded. Ford is developing an electric F150. We have made some progress but there is still room for improvement and further reductions.

What efforts are you making personally?

Comment

I thought maybe BC was doing well because their population was out pacing the national growth rate. And the people moving there have deeper pockets.
                              I just read ( recent economic developments in British Columbia). To much reading for cut and paste so I will sum it up. The number 1 things in the last few years were real estate, rentals, leasing, construction, house hold spending followed by service sector, social services, health care, utilities, finance and insurance. Others in expansion mode was mining, quarry, softwood lumber, manufacturing and oil and gas extraction. No mention of clean initiatives. This report was dated 1 year ago.
                              They also said from 2014-2016 BC purchased more new trucks, van + sport vehicles. Also in 2017 new car dealers reflected gains of 11.7%
                              So this really baffles me how can they possibly reduce their emissions with more vehicles, houses, buildings, construction, mining, etc.
                              If you add the extra taxes with your income tax, do they still have the lowest taxes? I can see it if you live in a apartment and don’t need to drive.
                              I am not going to say that pricing pollution will not help with the environment but to say it will make Canada an economic success is like believing in Peter pan until the day we have better alternatives available.

Comment

Do you not see why BC will never be able to hit a mandated 2030 target on CO2, or any other province that won't stay static in population?
                                Their extra population on year nine was 357,000 more human bodies that produced 4.78 million tonnes of CO2 in 2016 than if their population had remained at the 2007 level. It was not those extra bodies that led to any BC foot print gain on GHGs. That is the elephant, not how you can drop your personal CO2 production by 1% a year.

And now you know why gains can quickly become losses, and what is the point if the tipping of it has already occurred as some believe.

cc., if you would drop a quarter section, you could throw away your panels and building insulation, and still meet your CO2 important to you targets.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...