The end of glyphosate

Commodity Marketing

Tools

The end of glyphosate

May 2, 2019 | 09:23 61
Quote Originally Posted by Austranada View Post
Following the thread???? I started it. Thanks for the laugh. Go buy a swather and spend a little less time in the coffee shop
Banging your head against a brick wall Austranada. You think these guys are going to roll over?

**** no, they're hooked. Its made farming so easy even a dummy could do it; sign up for the program, buy the seed, the fert, the chem, follow their recipe and voila you've got a crop.

Why the hell would they want to go back to pre gly days? There already working their asses off and you want to make things harder for them? Whats next, fixing their own equipment? Hauling their own grain? Jesus man, give your head a shake. Reply With Quote

• May 2, 2019 | 19:34 62 The questions should maybe ranked along the lines of evidence of an unsafe product; and not immediately jumping to statements of relying on any substance to make any farmer's life easier.

As pointed out indiscriminate overuse should be of course be avoided to lengthen the time till chemical weed resistance becomes a serious problem. Year's ago; a wise person was heard to say that any chemical is like a loaded gun with about 6 or so bullets in it. You can fire them off all at once and the selection of the rare tolerant weeds will be selected for. They will become a problem with continued use of the same herbicide group.

Or you can judiciously; alternate with other tillage control methods; inter crop, alternate crops or use different chemical groups to lengthen the time before chemical resistance to any one selection pressure becomes noticeable. And any of the above are considered as acceptable farm practices; and along with using safe registered inputs and good stewardship.... then just mind your own business and farm as you wish using the same principles.

But for those that are simply objecting to any use of a "man made" chemical....no amount of words can paper over an attempt to spread the gospel of banning chemicals such as glyphosate.

You may indeed be thoroughly convinced; have your juveniles even more brainwashed than their parents and become those in the pack of lemmings who would parade to the sea and drown themselves because it is their destiny. Maybe even make it so a larger proportion someday goes hungry or starves.

Remember where food comes from; ie. if you ever knew the answer. Be careful what you cause to happen, since there are indeed points of no return. You are also dealing with other person's lives besides your own. Reply With Quote
    May 3, 2019 | 06:39 63 Secret report: biofuel caused food crisis
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy

"Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian."

This story is 10 years old. But we have a lot of crop acres and inputs still being used for bio-fuels that could be diverted to food if necessary. There are also a lot of acres and inputs being used for animal feed which could be diverted as well. So as it always does, the issue of food security on a global scale comes down to political will.

The Gabe Brown farm is an example of what can be done to lower input costs and improve the soil while still maintaining high crop and meat yields.

The Brown model won't fit everywhere, but is there a lesson in his success? That is with proper design and implementation that farmers can reduce their reliance on expensive inputs including glyphosate.

He still uses fertilizer and some chemicals when needed but he has dramatically reduced his cheque writing for off farm inputs.

In times of adversity, farmers like Brown and others have had no other choice but to redesign their system. Perhaps the low prices and high costs we are currently experiencing is when the greatest innovations occur. Opening the cheque book for every problem is not always the best solution. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar May 3, 2019 | 06:47 64 chuck Chuck, have you ever noticed just how cheap some groceries actually are in comparison to alot of other things in life. Pasta is dirt cheap. Milk is more than reasonable. Get creative with the myriad of cheap pulses on the store shelves. If you want to eat like a King, on the best of everything you will be paying more. But to say food prices are too high or have been pushed 75% higher..... I still think it is affordable to eat. Maybe if food was too expensive, some people wouldn't take two hot holidays a year. Have driveways full of toys. Etc. Even the lower income people can afford to eat within their budget!

I can buy alot of groceries for the price of a decent restaurant meal.

Edit in.....Probably a different story in poor parts of the world.
    Last edited by farmaholic; May 3, 2019 at 06:51.
    Austranada's Avatar May 4, 2019 | 02:49 65
    Quote Originally Posted by oneoff View Post
    The questions should maybe ranked along the lines of evidence of an unsafe product; and not immediately jumping to statements of relying on any substance to make any farmer's life easier.

As pointed out indiscriminate overuse should be of course be avoided to lengthen the time till chemical weed resistance becomes a serious problem. Year's ago; a wise person was heard to say that any chemical is like a loaded gun with about 6 or so bullets in it. You can fire them off all at once and the selection of the rare tolerant weeds will be selected for. They will become a problem with continued use of the same herbicide group.

Or you can judiciously; alternate with other tillage control methods; inter crop, alternate crops or use different chemical groups to lengthen the time before chemical resistance to any one selection pressure becomes noticeable. And any of the above are considered as acceptable farm practices; and along with using safe registered inputs and good stewardship.... then just mind your own business and farm as you wish using the same principles.

But for those that are simply objecting to any use of a "man made" chemical....no amount of words can paper over an attempt to spread the gospel of banning chemicals such as glyphosate.

You may indeed be thoroughly convinced; have your juveniles even more brainwashed than their parents and become those in the pack of lemmings who would parade to the sea and drown themselves because it is their destiny. Maybe even make it so a larger proportion someday goes hungry or starves.

Remember where food comes from; ie. if you ever knew the answer. Be careful what you cause to happen, since there are indeed points of no return. You are also dealing with other person's lives besides your own.
    Reality is fewer and fewer consumers want what big pharma has you brainwashed to produce. Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 05:19 66 I call absolute b/S on the food price and bio fuels . 75% .... lol . There is a glut of food . The blame goes directly to extremely corrupt governments .
    If you believe that garbage chuck , I have ocean front property here for sale for you. Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 06:24 67
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    ..... Milk is more than reasonable.......
    But, but, but - supply management - how can it be so? Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 07:30 68
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    I call absolute b/S on the food price and bio fuels . 75% .... lol . There is a glut of food . The blame goes directly to extremely corrupt governments .
    If you believe that garbage chuck , I have ocean front property here for sale for you.
    The report is old and refers to staples like rice, corn and wheat which make up a much bigger share of diets in developing countries than they do in ours.

Corn reached $8.02 USD on August 20, 2012 according to this chart. https://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn-prices-historical-chart-data

Currently corn is between $3-4 USD. So it was at one time more than 100% higher than now. Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 07:58 69
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
    The report is old and refers to staples like rice, corn and wheat which make up a much bigger share of diets in developing countries than they do in ours.

Corn reached $8.02 USD on August 20, 2012 according to this chart. https://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn-prices-historical-chart-data

Currently corn is between $3-4 USD. So it was at one time more than 100% higher than now.
    I get the impression, that You're trying to prove a point here. But, try as I might, I'm just not connecting the dots here. What does a 10 year old article about biofuels (proven to be completely incorrect in the meantime) have to do with glyphosate use in 2019?
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; May 4, 2019 at 08:03.
    May 4, 2019 | 08:06 70 From Oneoff "Remember where food comes from; ie. if you ever knew the answer. Be careful what you cause to happen, since there are indeed points of no return. You are also dealing with other person's lives besides your own."

Just countering any suggestion that restrictions on glyphosate may cause food shortages. But with a second look I am not sure Oneoff was making that point anyway. Off on a tangent. Reply With Quote
    Austranada's Avatar May 4, 2019 | 08:33 71 It'll be interesting to see how the EPA handles this

https://www.ewg.org/release/epa-seeks-public-comment-use-monsanto-s-weedkiller-glyphosate-oats-used-foods-marketed-kids Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 09:23 72
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
    Its time to ban the off label use of glyphosate for a pre-harvest burndown. It is not a desicant. Weed control prior to harvest is a lame excuse for this practice. Post harvest is a better time for weed control with glyphosate in most crops.

Consumers and grain buyers don't want glyphosate sprayed just before harvest. All farmers are losing markets for grains because of this practice that has little benefit and lots of market downside.
    But on the positive note, I entirely agree with you in this post and the post following it. Thank you for contributing to a topic relevant to agriculture, a good start towards redeeming your reputation. And a much more realistic and balanced approach than the extremist new Troll Austranada Reply With Quote

• Austranada's Avatar May 4, 2019 | 18:49 73
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    But on the positive note, I entirely agree with you in this post and the post following it. Thank you for contributing to a topic relevant to agriculture, a good start towards redeeming your reputation. And a much more realistic and balanced approach than the extremist new Troll Austranada
    Fantastic. So far we've got AF5,case, and furrow all dropping preharvest gly, any others care to improve their chances at being able to sell their production given that demand and price for "desiccated" crops is tanking faster than Bayer shares? Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 20:28 74
    Fantastic. So far we've got AF5,case, and furrow all dropping preharvest gly, any others care to improve their chances at being able to sell their production given that demand and price for "desiccated" crops is tanking faster than Bayer shares?
    You jackass .... who said we were doing it in the first place ?? Or are you just “ass”suming like a few others here to make all of us look bad on a public forum
    You are the definition of a troll Reply With Quote

• Austranada's Avatar May 4, 2019 | 21:36 75
    You jackass .... who said we were doing it in the first place ?? Or are you just “ass”suming like a few others here to make all of us look bad on a public forum
    You are the definition of a troll
    Fantastic, so you stopped a few years ago did you? Or you never have? Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 22:05 76
    Fantastic, so you stopped a few years ago did you? Or you never have?
    Did you farm in Canada at one time ? I thought I read you did , then got your ass kicked and ended up in Australia.
    Did you get your ass kicked here after 2004 ?? Cause it’s been really good here since for the most part . If you lost your farm after 2002 that’s just plain plus poor management.
    There were a few very tough years in western Sask from 2000 to 2004 so maybe it was then you lost your shirt here to go organic down there . I can’t quite remember all that again.
    Anyway , I have done nothing ever off label. So you can take a breather and find someone else to try to troll.
    Been farming here since 1911 , and will be here for a long time regardless of much of the b/S on here 👌😎. Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 22:25 77 A long time after you have been gone ... that’s 100% for sure .
    And doing it in an environmentaly responsible way for my children and grandchildren to continue.
    The backlash against most of us grain farms here the last 5 years has been terrible.
    We are all just trying to raise families on farms big or small , grain or cattle.
    The continuous bashing is ***in horrible considering we are by far the best some of the best stewards of the lands on earth for Christ sakes . Did anyone watch the ***in b/S in North Dakota a while ago with the pipeline protest ??? Ya protectors of Mother Earth , $1 million dollar clean up .. they don’t ***in care it’s all about money
    Mother Earth get very burnt in three directions around this city every single year...... hmmmmmmm.

... look at the Canadian pipelines .... all quite now the JT might include them in the deal ... what a joke.

We all seen the pictures of Notley protests in Fort Mac before she got elected ... lol .
    It is simply come down to resentment of someone else that is “thought” to be doing better than your self has led to unrelenting bashing of crop producers and oil industry .. and it’s b/S . It’s lazy people who think they deserve their share but want to do ***in no effort.
    Watch the news globally, it’s an epidemic. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• May 4, 2019 | 22:46 78
    Sask3 said he has been doing it for the last 20 yr,thats 1.and I have neibours that also use it as a desicant but would never admit to it. Reply With Quote
    May 4, 2019 | 23:06 79
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Sask3 said he has been doing it for the last 20 yr,thats 1.and I have neibours that also use it as a desicant but would never admit to it.
    What’s your perspective of A&W ??
    You using absolutely no hormones or vaccines????
    Just asking for a friend.. 👍 Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 08:58 80 I dont follow your questioning line but it it said that the best defence is a good offence,so defelect the question to another subject.??? Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 09:54 81 Slaves and Swathers - that the winning combination? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 5, 2019 | 09:58 82
    Did you farm in Canada at one time ? I thought I read you did , then got your ass kicked and ended up in Australia.
    Did you get your ass kicked here after 2004 ?? Cause it’s been really good here since for the most part . If you lost your farm after 2002 that’s just plain plus poor management.
    There were a few very tough years in western Sask from 2000 to 2004 so maybe it was then you lost your shirt here to go organic down there . I can’t quite remember all that again.
    Anyway , I have done nothing ever off label. So you can take a breather and find someone else to try to troll.
    Been farming here since 1911 , and will be here for a long time regardless of much of the b/S on here 👌😎.
    That thing farms in its mommies basement
    Mallee staightened it out
    I deleted it when it didnt know the diff between post and pre harvest spraying Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 10:00 83
    What’s your perspective of A&W ??
    You using absolutely no hormones or vaccines????
    Just asking for a friend.. 👍
    I think he was wondering if you ever gave your cows or horse a shot of anything ? Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 10:37 84 Point is there are anti hormone , anti vaccine, anti glyphosate ... anti near everything. How much is just noise ?
    And it effects how we all run our businesses crop and Cattle Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 12:45 85 I do have a bit of a problem with fall dessication with Round-Up. Seems the importers have an issue with residue in the end product .... so the question I have is, “can we get by without Round-Up pre-harvest?”
    You who are dependent on the practice, tell me how we can get around use of Round-up Pre-harvest?
    Seems we must come to grips with this argument, whether the buyers are right or not since we need these markets to survive. Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 13:02 86
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    I do have a bit of a problem with fall dessication with Round-Up. Seems the importers have an issue with residue in the end product .... so the question I have is, “can we get by without Round-Up pre-harvest?”
    You who are dependent on the practice, tell me how we can get around use of Round-up Pre-harvest?
    Seems we must come to grips with this argument, whether the buyers are right or not since we need these markets to survive.
    Absolutely no need for it , spraying works just fine post harvest. Reply With Quote
    May 5, 2019 | 17:02 87
    Thanks for responding, I was going to waste the effort of explaining that some of us have been against it from the start, but you said it much more tactfully than I ever could have.

If he wants to campaign against the questionable uses of glyphosate, in order to protect the vital uses, I would support him, but this full out attack against all chemicals, is just giving additional ammunition to our enemies and sowing division amongst producers who are all under attack, regardless of methods. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 5, 2019 | 21:21 88
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    I think he was wondering if you ever gave your cows or horse a shot of anything ?
    No I never gave a shot of anything just so I could geter done quicker,never seen a crop needing roundup to get over more acres,and sometimes a shot is nessary for the animal involved,even rum on ocasion. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• May 6, 2019 | 03:23 89 Agree i think with AF5 Austcanada is a bonehead no idea what hes been writing but chuck chuck horse grass all have relevant point always and not trolls.

In all my 53 years ive NEVER blocked any one hes a first says something. Reply With Quote
    Austranada's Avatar May 6, 2019 | 05:35 90 I really don't mind being blocked or sworn at, its a good indication of the character of certain posters. Blocking is a hilarious self imposed gag order. All they do is end up clicking on "view post". I'm just posting factual reports that several in the coffee shop don't want to read. Some long time posters think they own the forum. Anyways here's another such article

https://shift.newco.co/2017/01/12/yes-organic-farming-will-kill-us-all/ Reply With Quote