• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum Varieties

For those of you than grow durum what’s your variety of choice. After years of Brigade, switching to either Spitfire or Alloy. Grew a quarter of Precision last year and it was garbage. Very small seed and poor yield.
    Very happy with Brigade, high yields and test weights, just too much straw on wet years. Hoping to get back to those wet years.

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
    For those of you than grow durum what’s your variety of choice. After years of Brigade, switching to either Spitfire or Alloy. Grew a quarter of Precision last year and it was garbage. Very small seed and poor yield.
    Very happy with Brigade, high yields and test weights, just too much straw on wet years. Hoping to get back to those wet years.
    The problem is you are not paying a seed tax... that will fix it ...

Maybe Tom can explain..

Disclaimer.....sarcasm

I would take it back to where it was bought and ask for a refund....if it's a problem ...tell them you will hire an forensic agronomist to look at all your records and you will be looking for production loss plus costs to start another new variety and mention cleanup costs....

If they want a tax .....along comes responsibility. ..

Thumbs up for Fortitude
    Last edited by bucket; Mar 17, 2019, 14:02.

Comment

Here's some rhetoric for you BigZee....

I still remember commercial salvage durum and having to clean part of another year's production to make it marketable. So until I forget that stuff or feel brave again, its spring wheat for me. Its more tolerant to fusarium and have been getting comparable yields.

How much carry out will there be and what are the seeded acres going to be? Which will have a bearing on the price "forecast".

I have no advice to offer regarding varieties, the last stuff we grew was "Verona" but they all have garbage resistance to fusarium and right now I feel that risk is too high.

Good luck with the decision.

The country side will be green peas and flax....have fun chasing the falling star folks!

Comment

Spit fire has a nice big flag leaf. I had precision and spitefire in. Not a good year to tell the difference too much hail

Comment

Was going with either Spitfire or Alloy, decided on Alloy. Spitfire is nice and short but looks quite bad for fuzz if it happens. FP Genetics has come out with a lot of good varieties of all kinds of crops.

Comment

Comment

Look at the acres seeded for Transcend in the above Crop Insurance results, there's a reason for that, good yields and holds it color well after a rain.

Comment

Isn't FP genetics big on pushing new royalty tax?

Comment

We had all 3 varieties in 2017.

Alloy has more straw and is a bigger nicer looking sample.
                  Alloy was harder to thrash than Precision and Spitfire.

They were all similar in yield. They all graded a #1 in 2017 with some of the nicest looking Durum we have ever had.

In 2016 we had Spitfire, Transcend and Marchwell.

We had 30+ inches of Rain in 2016.
                  The Spitfire was the highest yielding. It yielded quite a bit more than the Transcend and Marchwell.

The Spitfire and Marchwell graded a #4 and #5
                  The Transcend yielded a #3 and #4.

In 2018 we Kept it simple and only had one variety of Durum. We seeded all Precision Durum and will do the same in 2019.

I think Spitfire and Alloy are both good varieties. Just in 2018 I pretty much sold out of Precision Durum seed and still have 80% of my Spitfire and Alloy seed left so I seeded Precision again as that’s what seems to be in demand.

I still have my left over Spitfire and Alloy seed from 2017 so will be seeding 100% Precision again.

In 2018 our Precision did pretty good with it grading a 1 before the snow and a #2 and some #3 after the snow.

Most of the feed back I heard from customers is that they were happy with the Precision, Alloy and Spitfire.

Some of the customers who purchase Spitfire commented they wished they would have got more as they can not believe how it yielded compared to thier other durum varieties.

One customer seeded Precision side by side with Transcend same field same fertilizer and they used a seed tender to weigh and they said Precision was 4 bu acre better than Transcend.

I heard from another customer who said thier Transcend was better than their Precision but seeded Precision first and Transcend later in different fields.

In 2018 our later seeded Durum yielded 17 bu acre more than our earlier seeded Durum. All Precision Durum every thing done the same just the seeding dates were different. Later Durum was seeded 10-11 days later and caught a fall rain at the right time to make a difference.
                  Last edited by Jagfarms; Mar 19, 2019, 22:13.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.