• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does NFU represent the average farmer? Some interesting characters on their board.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ab5 et al

Want to point out that I have never belonged to no Ag farm group.

You seem to be all hell bend on posting anything that comes to mind chastising any other Canadian who doesn't have the same political view as your's, and now have focused on a Ag farm group who has NDP association. My honest view is you were part of the now defuncted Wild Rose Party and can't seem to find a place to park your ideology so you use Agriville to get your crap out!

Just wondering if you could do a synopsis on the WCWGA, particularly which Ag companies sponsor them? You could also question yourself with a list of Ag related Companies who sponsor them who do they really represent in Ag?

Their VP participated in Syngent's Grower University 1 & 2. I'm sure he's in favor of the new seed tax which all us farmers will be paying. Maybe he could grace us with his weekly post or view point!

But I highly doubt AB5 you would find anything negative regarding the WCWGA as they are a right wing leaning Ag Farm group and that's all the matters to you! Maybe your neighbors to the V.P. of WCWGA!

Comment

https://www.nfu.ca/about/board-of-directors/

Readers don't rely on Alberta 5 to present a profile or critique of NFU board members. Go read their profiles for your self. There is a wide range of Board Members from large conventional farms to small farms from most parts of Canada.

What bothers Alberta 5, is any organization or individual who has a different point of view than his. Alberta 5 doesn't want to hear different opinions and will spend a whole lot of time discrediting anyone who would dare to counter his particular point of view.

Which is quite ironic considering he spends a whole lot of time on a public discussion forum where the whole point is to hear a wide range of views!
      Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 17, 2019, 11:07.

Comment

Chuck, So as usual, it sounds like you didn't read any of the original post before casting your aspersions. I posted this on a public forum asking for feedback. I was asking if these are the issues of utmost importance to Canadian farmers. If the viewpoints and lifestyles of the members reflect those of the wider farming community.

And so far, looks like Three members of Averyville do share those extremist anti agriculture views. And for that, I thank you for your contribution to the thread.

And, a question to the three posters who have come out in support of these viewpoints, assuming you are land owning farmers. One of the NFU's policies is giving the land back to the natives. If you are in favor of that, why do you require a lobby group to lobby for that action. What is stopping you from just turning your land over to them by yourself?

Comment

And thank you for posting the link too, chuck. This way anyone else can check the bio's and press releases and verify what I posted is accurate.

It is Noteworthy that none of the three supporters made any attempt to defend, or refute any of the claims, but instead only attacked the messenger .
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Mar 17, 2019, 11:36.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            Chuck, So as usual, it sounds like you didn't read any of the original post before casting your aspersions. I posted this on a public forum asking for feedback. I was asking if these are the issues of utmost importance to Canadian farmers. If the viewpoints and lifestyles of the members reflect those of the wider farming community.

And so far, looks like Three members of Averyville do share those extremist anti agriculture views. And for that, I thank you for your contribution to the thread.

And, a question to the three posters who have come out in support of these viewpoints, assuming you are land owning farmers. One of the NFU's policies is giving the land back to the natives. If you are in favor of that, why do you require a lobby group to lobby for that action. What is stopping you from just turning your land over to them by yourself?
            Where in the NFU policy does it suggest giving back all agricultural land to First Nations? I can't see it on their website. Didn't look very long.

Perhaps you are confusing settling outstanding treaty land claims, honoring treaties and natural resource revenue sharing with giving back land to first nations?

Since you are opposed to subsidies to any industry, when are you going to start sending back the agricultural subsidies you receive? Just asking because you of all people should be abiding by your often stated free market principles!

Comment

This must be a pretty radical mandate for you A5! LOL

https://www.nfu.ca/about/
              The mandate of the National Farmers Union

to promote the betterment of farmers in the attainment of their economic and social goals;
              to conduct projects for the benefit of farmers in the development of markets for and marketing of farm products;
              to achieve the reduction of costs and other measures designed to increase the economic benefits of farming;
              to conduct educational and research projects for the benefit of farmers;
              to promote and secure legislation and other forms of government action for the benefit of farmers;
              to promote a higher standard of community life in agriculture; and
              to provide services for its members consistent with its objects and work jointly with any other person or organizations for the attainment of its objects.

Comment

I take it personally when you spread lies about friends of mine that happen to be board members of an organisation I belong to. The three Alberta board members are a multi-generational grain and oilseed farmer whose family have been on that land since 1908.
                Another has been farming 40 years in Alberta and has a knowledge and understanding of soils which is rare in North America. As a result his organic wheat crops regularly yield 20% above the conventional crops grown in his locality, verified by crop insurance records.
                The third is also a well established farmer with extensive experience of crops and livestock and decades long public service in property rights issues.

I'm proud to have people like these representing farmers in Alberta.

What organization to represent farmers do you serve with AF5 and what are your qualifications to serve?
                A keyboard warrior with limited agricultural experience, hanging out in the boonies?

Comment

Will any of our NFU supporters defend this?

The NFU endorses the LEAP Manifesto!

Comment

All of the info I posted, including UNSettling Canada 150 came right from their own press releases, on their own website. You can try the search function.

Comment

There used to be an NFU guy named Fred Tait that was a thorn in MB farm politics. Commented on everything.

His brother tired of it all and started phoning around informing that Fred didn't farm at all but drove a road grader.

Secret identity revealed and deep within NFU headquarters they decided to remove him from public.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Another has been farming 40 years in Alberta and has a knowledge and understanding of soils which is rare in North America. As a result his organic wheat crops regularly yield 20% above the conventional crops grown in his locality, verified by crop insurance records.
                        Would need to present data to prove that one. All organic guys think they grow bigger and better crops than their technology using neighbors. Legends in their own minds.

Comment

I had the privilege of living in the same area for 50 some years as Roy A. ( dripping with sarcasm). The man absolutely hated the thought of a farmer ever making money. I also remember going to a neighbor hood party as a kid, this was after the local nfu crew had been to China on a ag tour. Still have the Communist handbook somewhere. Evelyn Potter was promoting how we should all change to their( Chinese) political system. Funny, both Roy and Potter's sold out to highest bidder who were the enemy back in the day but 300 and 400 a quarter Worked for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                            Would need to present data to prove that one. All organic guys think they grow bigger and better crops than their technology using neighbors. Legends in their own minds.
                            He has done. You should attend a meeting he is presenting at. This guy has it figured out - of course he's not a crop only farmer he integrates livestock and alfalfa into his rotations. Very, very smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              I went on an organic field tour and we were taken to one of the thistle plots that they were cultivating- solid Canada Thistle.
                              Growing Canada Thistle is not hard. Look at your headlands, approaches, ditches and pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                                They don’t represent anyone. Won’t say how many members they have as it’s probably so few it’s meaningless. Where does the money come from? The two I have met, both on the board, are the type that would only attend something if someone else is paying.
                                They did manage to get an ‘organic’ research cluster set up and lay claim to about $600k in federal funding. Crock of crap. One project is researching how to control Canada thistle with a cultivator. Seriously. Maybe plotting the moon cycles vs time of tillage.
                                A completely irrelevant group that whines about how good things used to be in the CWB days.
                                You have to face due east and swing a dead chicken over your head before you jump in the tractor to go cultivate.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...