• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed costs for canola out of line with latest shit show with China.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed costs for canola out of line with latest shit show with China.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C24EBC3C-E013-4D5B-BD97-2F83C01F6D92.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	778316

First canola is a positive crop that makes farmers the best return. Second for us is wheat then malt and finally the shit the bed crop is peas.

Peas are bad because of the shit show with India and a 50% tariff that Trudeau danced and did nothing. Our pulse boards also left us as they studied and what could they do attitude.

So liberals screwed up one crop we will survive but now China and little potato have a problem it is all about politics and the ones who will again get screwed are Canadian farmers.

Don’t be fooled the USA is almost ready with China to have a deal and soy farmers will be smiling for years.

If we are on the outs with China it isn’t good.

So now we’re ready to start planning or finishing our plans for 2019 seeding plans. Canola is about half our crop.

Yes if we do get a great crop again at the lower price it will make money but throw the what if’s in the mix or low yield 40 or less and the costs of canola vs hrs or malt just don’t cut it.

Fert is equal cost but yes canola takes more to hit the bigger yields. Sprays fungicides similar.

But seed costs are the place so far that doesn’t balance out for canola.

Wheat and barley after the seed tax comes to be will create a similar costs as farmers switch from growing small amounts of certified seed and seed tax to just ordering all their seed spcertified. That’s the final out come so seed companies win and seed growers get sales.

So young farmers look at the big picture your being played.

Canola like I said is out to lunch. Will they adjust seed prices to fit the new reality, hahahhahahahahahah not a f$&king chance. They will spout commercials of high yield. Brainwashed farmers trying for the 100 bus club it’s more than just expensive seed it’s a combination and still if they hit it on some fields eventually doing it on 5000 to 50000 acres can’t be hit. It’s a experiment.

Then finally Mother Nature still controls the out come.

So in today’s world Canola will be in rotations but less than 30 bus crop your losing money.

My boys said they seen a gopher at home so this snow bird is starting to stretch his wings and soon head north. Our cleaner will be humming when I hit home for maybe the last time thanks to the seed tax.

Canola a costly crop that makes all connected with the seed a fortune.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA214084-CB68-4AE5-A389-4C7283F33229.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	778317

SK, China is 40% of the canola trade. They back out 100% like they are saying they will, that's a couple buck drop from here. On owned land maybe you can still make a buck on this but rented or bank owned, its going to be slim. When margins are that tight, you have to farm so perfect and mother nature has to cooperate. A lot of risk there now.

I went back to flax in the rotation. Just a lower cost and less risky crop to grow that can be a nice money maker at 25-30 bu. Lentils + durum.

Like I said the days of throwing the groceries at it are coming to an end one way or another with much lower cost areas of production coming on line as our competitors, we need to be leaner and more efficient, not more inputs and more risk. Hell there may come a day that we have to grow what the US does just so we can join their exports.
    Last edited by jazz; Mar 10, 2019, 08:50.

Comment

I remember a few years ago the Canola Council of Canada set as a goal to produce 25 million tonnes. A laudable goal but this recent spat with China shows how fragile markets can be. Sask3 in my opinion canola seed price was to high when we had a chance at $11 canola, now that between $9-10 looks like the near term reality it certainly is way out to lunch. As for profitability of crops this year for me it went Yellow Peas, CPS wheat then canola. Fortunately my rotations worked out so that I am growing less canola than usual. Unfortunately I don't see a quick solution to this problem with China.

Comment

I agree with both of you I don’t see a resolution coming any time soon.

The damage is done China wants a strong competitor and our gay boy and his gender politics just doesn’t cut the mustard.

China and the USA will have a deal soon. Part of it is to reward the Midwest so soy will be included.

Canada will loose very bad.

This year is going to be tough as it is if a drought continues Richies will be busy next spring.

Comment

Yeah, Trump has screwed over American and Canadian farmers with his Tariffs and fight with Hauwei. All inputs are too high for commodity prices. This can only end badly. He has underestimated China's resolve. He has found a bigger bully than himself.

Comment

Trump gave 12 billion to his farmers....imagine getting 2.20cdn on every bushel of canola.....

He had other motives....**** his farmers. ..nope. ...gave a shitkicking to Canadians ....yup ....and Trudeau doesn't give a shit about western Canadian farmers....

Comment

We have been trying to out yield stagnant crop prices for 20 yrs When canola was last $8, seed was $5/lb. The seed companies will be trying to convince us to pour the groceries to some new variety so then we can average 60bu at $8 from now on. That tactic will not work again.
              Last edited by jazz; Mar 10, 2019, 12:12.

Comment

No amount of subsidy will erase the long term damage Trump has done. The only reason he did it was for votes in key states he won in. The new NAFTA has still not been ratified.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Trudeau doesn't give a shit about western Canadian farmers....
                  It sounds like the Ag Minister from Quebec and PM from Quebec will be giving out a payment to dairy farmers in the upcoming budget.
                  If peas, chickpeas and canola were big crops in Quebec what would we receive for a payment....$2 per bushel?

It would be nice if the SNC-Lavalin stock price wasn’t a bigger concern to the federal Liberals than all of western Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    It sounds like the Ag Minister from Quebec and PM from Quebec will be giving out a payment to dairy farmers in the upcoming budget.
                    If peas, chickpeas and canola were big crops in Quebec what would we receive for a payment....$2 per bushel?

It would be nice if the SNC-Lavalin stock price wasn’t a bigger concern to the federal Liberals than all of western Canada.
                    The good news is everyone is wondering where the analysis is for the loss of jobs the liberals are using to defend the corruption....

SNC can't leave Quebec and if taken over the jobs will probably remain except for a few efficiency moves.....

AND lets not forget the fact the liberals are working on a "get out of jail free card" so SNC can continue to bid on federal jobs if convicted....

Comment

The whole thread was to show that with the latest gov screw up Canadian farmers will get the shaft.

It will average about $2.00 a bushel thanks to our idiot PM Trudeau.

Let’s look at loss

5000 seeded same as normal x 56 x 2 equals

$560,000.00 taken from just me by a useless liberal government. Do the math on your farms even a liberal farm voter must be mad or is it harpers fault.

Our canola organizations

Crickets

CBC crickets

While western canada crashes the liberals party.

When will the madness end.

Slapaliberal

Comment

Trudeau isnt ignoring us farmers out west, remember, they wanted to stop the use of cash deferrals, and wanted to change the rules of incorporations, oh and dont forget about the carbon tax.

Comment

This screw up should be front page news it’s huge.

We’re is our gay cabilaro.

Gone hiding

Comment

There is probably 50,000 ac of canola grown in gooddales riding every year. Evraz steel isn't in even in his riding and I doubt anyone but top management live in Wascana.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                              There is probably 50,000 ac of canola grown in gooddales riding every year. Evraz steel isn't in even in his riding and I doubt anyone but top management live in Wascana.
                              Evraz isn't even a Canadian company. ...they sold it out for shareholder value while they had 600 million in the bank and now they are back on the government tit. ...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...