• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sightseeing on a working road trip?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sightseeing on a working road trip?

We’re leaving Edmonton on Friday and ending up in Wisconsin to bring home a forage wagon and check out some corn planters as well. Probably going through Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota as well on the way down. Then through Manitoba and Saskatchewan on home. I got Mt Rushmore on the list to see but not much else so far. Any cool things to see along the way would be greatly appreciated. The crew cab will be full with the Mrs and both kids😉

I’ve only driven to Billings MT and Yorkton before so this will be quite an adventure. Should be over 5500 km total. Only decided yesterday to do this......... we’ve always been last minute travellers.

TIA

Sounds like my kind of road trip, unfortunately, not my wife's kind of travelling, nor destination. Got room for a passenger? Perhaps you could stop on the way by, drop off a wife or kid who could stay here and feed cows till we get back?

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
      We’re leaving Edmonton on Friday and ending up in Wisconsin to bring home a forage wagon and check out some corn planters as well. Probably going through Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota as well on the way down. Then through Manitoba and Saskatchewan on home. I got Mt Rushmore on the list to see but not much else so far. Any cool things to see along the way would be greatly appreciated. The crew cab will be full with the Mrs and both kids😉

I’ve only driven to Billings MT and Yorkton before so this will be quite an adventure. Should be over 5500 km total. Only decided yesterday to do this......... we’ve always been last minute travellers.

TIA
      Living the dream, enjoy every minute of it!

Yellowstone is worth a trip, but I am not sure how much activity there is there during feb/mar.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Sounds like my kind of road trip, unfortunately, not my wife's kind of travelling, nor destination. Got room for a passenger? Perhaps you could stop on the way by, drop off a wife or kid who could stay here and feed cows till we get back?
        The kids are 4 and 6 so I wouldn’t turn them loose feeding yet. They can do up the safety chain and hitch pin on the feed wagon after I get it lined up perfectly 😎

The wife said she didn’t care where we were going as long as it was away from here. She wasn’t enthused when I hinted about taking her dad instead of her so I doubt she’d go for this. Unless your farm name is something like “Tranquility Acres spa and retreat” possibly???

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          The kids are 4 and 6 so I wouldn’t turn them loose feeding yet. They can do up the safety chain and hitch pin on the feed wagon after I get it lined up perfectly 😎

The wife said she didn’t care where we were going as long as it was away from here. She wasn’t enthused when I hinted about taking her dad instead of her so I doubt she’d go for this. Unless your farm name is something like “Tranquility Acres spa and retreat” possibly???
          4 +6 = 10, I think that should be adequate.

Just tell your wife how much further south we are, and how much better the weather is this far south, and I'm sure she will fall for it at least once.

Comment

Woodland, not the kind of activity you are looking for here but check out the farm stores like Big R etc. For drugs, calving supplies, tags know your costs here but there are some unbelievable differences in costs at times even after exchange. Don't forget if you need any ag parts while you are there.

We used to buy ivermectin in great falls and pay for the trip prior to their patent expiring here. (There coincidently may be an ivermectin shortage brewing in Canada right now anyhow. Ive been looking for some sheep drench and it is impossible to find and backordered everywhere)

Comment

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
              Living the dream, enjoy every minute of it!

Yellowstone is worth a trip, but I am not sure how much activity there is there during feb/mar.
              I’ll second that👍

My folks tried going to Yellowstone a few winters ago and nothing was open at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                4 +6 = 10, I think that should be adequate.

Just tell your wife how much further south we are, and how much better the weather is this far south, and I'm sure she will fall for it at least once.
                I shared this with her over lunch. She laughed but not taking you up on it.

Maybe next time😉

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  Woodland, not the kind of activity you are looking for here but check out the farm stores like Big R etc. For drugs, calving supplies, tags know your costs here but there are some unbelievable differences in costs at times even after exchange. Don't forget if you need any ag parts while you are there.

We used to buy ivermectin in great falls and pay for the trip prior to their patent expiring here. (There coincidently may be an ivermectin shortage brewing in Canada right now anyhow. Ive been looking for some sheep drench and it is impossible to find and backordered everywhere)
                  Is Draxxin any cheaper down there?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

Our ivermectin was junky anyways this year and lots of the neighbourhood said the same thing. Maybe they watered it down to stretch it out?

Used to send the folks every year to great falls for the same reason before the price dropped here. Bought tags and other stuff too. Tractor supply is like a shiny version of peavey mart up here. Will have to see about parts too since I forgot about that.

Comment

You mentioned checking out corn planters. Southwestern Minnesota is full of planters on every dealers lot from 8 to 30 row plus.Not too expensive to own and not too much to have delivered so you can have fun going 70 mph instead of 30 on your return trip.
                      I bought a few down there over the years. One of the best dealers was Schlauderaff implements at Litchfield
                      Dealers seem to keep a lot of used inventory on their lots and it is relatively small farming country. Every grain farm either has hogs or a small business on the farm.
                      Heck better yet you could explain to your wife it would be in the farms best interest to take me instead. LOL. Although i doubt she would be laughing. Enjoy the trip.

Comment

Haukos Brothers in Glencoe MN is the place to go for planters. They generally have 100-120 on the lot

Comment

The added bonus of coming home through Mb. is you wont get dinged for pst , only gst on your stateside purchases

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                            Haukos Brothers in Glencoe MN is the place to go for planters. They generally have 100-120 on the lot
                            It’s stop number 3 on my “shopping list”👍

Comment

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
                              Is Draxxin any cheaper down there?
                              Not sure about that since up here you need a vet to sell it to you?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...