• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LMFAO.....this one is for Hobbyfrmr

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMFAO.....this one is for Hobbyfrmr

I tried and tried to make sense of it, I did the math two or three times....then I checked the notification again and....Aaaaaahhhhh it all made sense....

FLAX:

.77 USD/lb.
    X 56 lbs/bu
    =$43.12 USD/bu
    X 1.32 Forex
    =$56.92 CAD/bu

ORGANIC!!!

sign me up!

That sounds like pie in the sky price. Coffee shop fodder to sour the chemical farmers even worse.

I want to know the rest of the story.
    Who is the buyer? Name address and phone number please.
    Canada or USA?
    What are the terms?
    Who is responsible to pay for cleaning the flax to 99.9% ?
    FOB Farm? FOB Destination?
    Who clears customs? Who submits the FDA prior notice?
    What are the parameters? Which lab does the microbial tests? Peroxide Levels?
    Any organileptic parameters? (Totally subjective usually in the buyers favour).

What bin was this from? Its not the same as the sample you sent.
    It sounds, smells, tastes and looks about $20/bu worth of too many darks seeds......at time of delivery of course.

As always, remember to consider 8-10 NET bu/acre . 33% dockage and a newly contamimated field that will haunt you for generations. The neighborhood will laugh at the mess and your land will devalue in sale and/or rent price because everybody knows it will take them years to get it cleaned up and the fertility will never be the same as their own land........ever.

Think about it critically, everything that glitters is not gold.

Comment

You are absolutely right, everything that glitters definitely isn't gold, but this is glittering like a 2 carat fabulously cut diamond.

Comment

Farma, ask for the payment up front. I’ve seen wonderful offers too from time to time, but usually its payment in 6 months - or never.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          Farma, ask for the payment up front. I’ve seen wonderful offers too from time to time, but usually its payment in 6 months - or never.
          Hobby says use A/R insurance.

Comment

Only if they are insurable? They may not make the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              Only if they are insurable? They may not make the cut.
              True. Then what? Ask for a percentage or all of the estimated value? Then the buyer is at risk of some unscrupulous sellers sending them junk. Know your buyer/seller. How about a letter of credit?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Hobby says use A/R insurance.
                Only if you want to know that the buyer is financially sound enough to pay you.
                Otherwise do whatever you want. It’s your grain. Possession is 9/10 of the law.

Comment

Once business relationships have been established over a long period of time and some of those border requirements have been done afew times I "suspect" it's not that hard. I'm also thinking some of those grading loopholes get closed once long-term business relationships get developed and there is a level of trust between buyer and seller.

I bet there's afew guys who strike it rich(good yield X excellent price) with organic flax after wheat on fresh broke grass. Or two years after a legume plowdown.

Comment

Once business relationships have been established over a long period of time and some of those border requirements have been done afew times I "suspect" it's not that hard. I'm also thinking some of those grading loopholes get closed once long-term business relationships get developed and there is a level of trust between buyer and seller.

I bet there's afew guys who strike it rich(good yield X excellent price) with organic flax after wheat on fresh broke grass. Or two years after a legume plowdown.
                    Dont do it, there is no money in it. Think about how you will damage your land for generations just to get a quick buck.

Comment

Think about it. There can not be that much money in it. When is the last time you saw an organic farm with any kind of decent machinery in the yard? Any new cars/trucks? Are there any signs of progress on those farms or is it just a holding pattern until a neighbor finally just stops in for coffee and buys him out for discounted price?
                      It all sounds good until you harvest your first half a crop.

“everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”. - Iron Mike Tyson
                      Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Feb 20, 2019, 09:13.

Comment

ORGANIC farmers bank all their profits, they aren't slaves to the Ag Industry....ChemCos FertCos MachineryCos, VehicleCos. I doesn't have to look good from the road to be really profitable. Some of the poorest "looking" operations are as profitable, or more, than the high flying BTOs.

We are getting left behind in the farm size trend, maybe it's time to shift gears and do something different with these owned acres.

Hobbyeth doth protesteth to mucheth....

Comment

ORGANIC farmers bank all their profits, they aren't slaves to the Ag Industry....ChemCos FertCos MachineryCos, VehicleCos. I doesn't have to look good from the road to be really profitable. Some of the poorest "looking" operations are as profitable, or more, than the high flying BTOs.

We are getting left behind in the farm size trend, maybe it's time to shift gears and do something different with these owned acres.

Hobbyeth doth protesteth to mucheth....
                          and as I've pointed out before, my thinks the Farmaholic doth protesteth too much about the the slum of the Ghetto as well. I'm beginning to suspect that an organic farm in the slum of the ghetto, may just be the holy grail, and best kept secret in the industry.

INterestingly, I see AFSC yield (alberta crop insurance magazine which gives yields for all varieties and crop areas, now shows a few organic yields. These are for the whole province, must not be enough data to break it down by region, they protect individuals data by not printing specific yields if the sample size is small enough to possibly identify the specific producer.
                          Oats 87% of conventional
                          Peas 46%
                          Wheat 58%

Mostly useless though, since all those organic acres could have been in the lowest yielding droughted area of the province, or could have been in the garden of Eden. And the sample size is inconsequential.

After 2 years of organic crop insurance being available, it looks like it has not been well received, perhaps that tells us all we need to know, organic producers are so successful and profitable, without crop failures, so no need to insure? Or is it just that to start from scratch with organic crop insurance, they take the already pitifully low yields, and cut them in half until you build your own yeild history( I did inquire)?

Comment

Organic farming looks like a lifestyle to me. The comment about machinery is interesting. The organic guys I know, tend to be less caring to have fancy, they bank their money and are inherently cheap. IMO, it is mainly that they have a completely different view on what matters most in life. For them, machinery isn’t one of the life goals. Hard for machinery lovers to gather, I get that. Lol

Comment

AF5, if you never grew up farming in the Slum of the Ghetto, you'd never come here to farm. And I don't know any better so I stay here....with my low expectations, being met more often than not! Maybe that's the perfect "organic" attitude, lol.
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 20, 2019, 11:51.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...