Class 1 Driver's Lic

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Class 1 Driver's Lic

Klause's Avatar Feb 8, 2019 | 22:41 31 It's 125 hours.


You're behind the wheel of potentially 9 axles and 63 tonnes or more.

When I got my class one it was 240 hours of training.


I could set slacks drive standard and auto and knew every part of the air system...

Plus a bunch of tricks you'd only know from old school truckers.


Plus ice road experience. Chaining. Splitting B's


It's worth it. Get the training.

And then there's all the log book and legislative bullshit these days.

My wife and I both have class 1s. She took hers here in sask what a bullshit course she learnt nothing I didn't already teach her.


Will this make class 1 driver's more valuable? Probably. That's a good thing.

I'm tired of "class 1" drivers who can't handle this kinda terrain.
Name:  IMG_20190119_104932.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  77.2 KB Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Feb 8, 2019 | 23:01 32 Easy there big fella. We were talking about immediate peak season farming needs. Not starting a reality TV show.
But seriously, I do agree with you on training.
Trick is to know your limits. I now only go short hauls in daylight. Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Feb 8, 2019 | 23:05 33 Like jeez, at harvest I've got trucks on gravel only. 15 mile hauls max. But no insurance cause the guy that day might not have his papers. Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2019 | 23:52 34 The only thing that will change is that it will make driving regs real miserable for all you white guys. You are well on your way to Ontario regs where you won't be pulling a handful of cows in a trailer with a 3/4 ton without have an A1 licence, log books and all the rest.

But in the city, Burka Burka wants his licence, so he contacts Durka Durka who has a cousin, Gurka Gurka, who does A1 Driver Training and has a brother, Jurka Jurka, who works for the provincal licensing office. So a couple hours later and a bunch of paperwork, Burka Burka is a certified truck driver. And if anyone questions it, just scream racism. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • farmaholic's Avatar Feb 8, 2019 | 23:57 35 I truly believe we are in a new era with the influx of migrants and many trying to make careers in the trucking industry, we are no longer issuing 1A licenses to only Canadian citizens. People of different countries and different rules, languages, customs, morals, beliefs, skills. There's rumours of some countrie's drivers, rules and vehicles being described as atrocious.

    A little while ago I told a story on here where we had a winter rain and highways were skating rinks. The big gravel haul to Regina's infamous Bypass project was happening on the highway I live near. The trucks were absolutely inconsiderate. Because the ice was thick and the weather turned cold after, the salt/sand applied to the highway only cleared a path in the middle of the highway. Well the trucks hogged that one lane's worth of dry pavement IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. Oncoming traffic had to navigate solid ice straddling their own lane and the shoulder of the highway, which is far from a smooth highway it was 30 years ago. Even at cautious speeds commuters risked losing control on that highway in those conditions being forced to drive where they were. So instead of each lane of traffic, on the two lane highway, having their driver's side wheels on dry pavement, only the road hogging trucks were on it(they weren't all guilty). My own experience was a night time one. I was in my lane with numerous oncoming vehicle's lights approaching, kinda hard to tell what was what as they seemed staggered, as I approached the first truck I realized the fucker was in the middle of the highway, halfway in my lane, were did I have to go but over to the right and onto the ice at a speed I wasn't comfortable driving at on it(I was travelling less than the speed limit due to conditions). Needless to say the DOT got a call from me the next business day and I told them they better get out there and monitor them. Well I couldn't have been the only one to call, people were making Facebook posts complaining about the situation and saying they were phoning the RCMP as well. In the days following(and it took a long time for the ice to wear off) I was on the highway again and some of the trucks would wonder over the center line as oncoming traffic approached and then back into their lane when the vehicle was close, kinda taunting or playing chicken....ya---"Professional Drivers". Intimidation and retaliation to the public for being reported by the public.

    Sorry for the long drawn out post, but it goes to show what we're dealing with and some "people's" mentality. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 07:14 36
    Quote Originally Posted by 15444 View Post
    The only thing that will change is that it will make driving regs real miserable for all you white guys. You are well on your way to Ontario regs where you won't be pulling a handful of cows in a trailer with a 3/4 ton without have an A1 licence, log books and all the rest.

    But in the city, Burka Burka wants his licence, so he contacts Durka Durka who has a cousin, Gurka Gurka, who does A1 Driver Training and has a brother, Jurka Jurka, who works for the provincal licensing office. So a couple hours later and a bunch of paperwork, Burka Burka is a certified truck driver. And if anyone questions it, just scream racism.
    Happens here in town every damn day. Truck and trailer pull in from a Brampton driving school 3 hours away, 5-6 people fall out of the sleeper all wearing similar clothes with different coloured turbans. Written tests are all done with phones in hand “to help translate”. When the first road test comes up, the first student and the school instructor disappear into the washroom and swap turbans, the instructor takes the test. If the tester says anything they have the whole group swarming them screaming about racism making all kinds of threats so they’ve given up. Next test, same instructor swaps turbans with his next student and takes the road test for him. Etc etc. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 09:29 37
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Other than experience, how does(why should) a farmer get a free pass for acquiring a 1A,....same equipment and roads. I'm even on the record as stating there should be safeties on farm trucks and trailers. Maybe not on a commercial schedule but milage based for the power unit, trailers might have to be on a time schedule.
    Most around my area get their trucks safetied. I get all three of mine done 1is commercial plated two farm plated. You will learn there is a lot less hassle when going through scale or getting stopped when you have the sticker. There is talk about electronic log books being mandatory in all trucks that might create some issues in ag trucks Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 09:52 38 I think a lot of people are missing something.....the reason there is a trucking industry is because the railways didn't want the work or couldn't handle it....

    Maybe someone should look into the fact that the load on the truck that killed all those young lives could have been on rail....is there any reason to hurry a load of peat moss in April?????

    The reason we have large trucks on the farm is because the railways wanted more efficiency and government granted them the consolidation....

    We don't move grain any faster today than 30 years ago.....the system isn't set up for it...a lineup of super Bs today is no different than 3 tons at wooden elevators 35 years ago....


    Politicians don't understand shit which is why I will continue to call them stupid....along with the people that lobby them for stupid shit....which is why instead of a world class network of railways moving product in this country we have a trucking industry that gets its loads from a GTH in the middle of nowhere to be transported back to the very cities the fucking shit has travelled through on train....
    Last edited by bucket; Feb 9, 2019 at 09:57.
    Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes


  • blackpowder's Avatar Feb 9, 2019 | 13:05 39 "
    We don't move grain any faster today than 30 years ago.....the system isn't set up for it...a lineup of super Bs today is no different than 3 tons at wooden elevators 35 years ago...."

    Thank you for saying that bucket.
    At first I scoffed. Then I realized that there must be areas that do struggle with movement. Good reminder.
    Here, it is nothing at all like 35 years ago. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 15:04 40
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    Well if there are hundreds of these tree areas they should be cleared. Our rm does it all the time. Has greatly reduced accidents.
    You need to take a reality pill. Are you going to clear cut all of western Canada? Take the trees out and the house or the shop or the barn or the parked 4WD will still be blocking somebody's vision from some direction. Where do you plan to stop?

    Here's a big hint about where to stop ---- at the red octagon with STOP written across it's face.

    If Mr. Sing had done that we wouldn't be having this conversation. The only reason that intersection is under the spotlight is because somebody didn't stop at the stop sign. There's a million more intersections in western North America. Maybe we should put traffic lights up at all of them. Or do like the Mexicans and put a dude with white gloves in the middle of each one.

    The spectacular feature of common sense is how incredibly UNcommon it actually is. Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes


  • Feb 9, 2019 | 15:36 41
    Quote Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
    You need to take a reality pill. Are you going to clear cut all of western Canada? Take the trees out and the house or the shop or the barn or the parked 4WD will still be blocking somebody's vision from some direction. Where do you plan to stop?

    Here's a big hint about where to stop ---- at the red octagon with STOP written across it's face.

    If Mr. Sing had done that we wouldn't be having this conversation. The only reason that intersection is under the spotlight is because somebody didn't stop at the stop sign. There's a million more intersections in western North America. Maybe we should put traffic lights up at all of them. Or do like the Mexicans and put a dude with white gloves in the middle of each one.

    The spectacular feature of common sense is how incredibly UNcommon it actually is.
    wastin your breath bob , some don't get reality or common sense any more Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Feb 9, 2019 | 16:23 42 A buddy contacted me today about this thread. We discussed it a bit and after all I've posted here and after the short discussion with him....I also do believe, ultimately, it is really a "moving traffic" violation at the heart of it all. But that doesn't take away from the fact there are some other issues that need to be addressed that are becoming problematic, many of which were brought up in this thread. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 17:21 43 Bob and caseih, I take it you dont believe in defensive driving, and if you cant see the intersection clearly because of trees do you have to come to a stop just incase the other guy dont, I just hate those blind intersections where you have to get to the middle of the road to see what may be coming, and yes noone should park equipment where it will block vision,,COMON SENCE. Reply With Quote
    wd9
    Feb 9, 2019 | 18:42 44 Isn't the actual problem certain "individuals" giving away class 1's instead of testing properly? Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 18:57 45
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Bob and caseih, I take it you dont believe in defensive driving, and if you cant see the intersection clearly because of trees do you have to come to a stop just incase the other guy dont, I just hate those blind intersections where you have to get to the middle of the road to see what may be coming, and yes noone should park equipment where it will block vision,,COMON SENCE.
    Most of us know that in the country, if you don’t drive defensively and check every intersection before approaching it, we are risking our lives for nothing as all of us can attest to. Common Sense goes a long way. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 19:03 46
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    wastin your breath bob , some don't get reality or common sense any more
    You can add the words respect and decency to that sentence.

    If the trees weren’t there those people likely are alive. That’s a fact stated by professionals that studied the incident.

    It will happen again there at that exact intersection

    Case you ve been watching your perverted queer idol trump too much. Just because you say there are hundreds of intersections doesn’t mean that it’s true but maybe in your little mind it is.

    I found an online map of that area it’s a bit older but is it not true that there is one main road north running east west to Nipawin then this one then another east west to tisdale? So very few crossroads of highway in that area.
    At that particular intersection there is traffic to cargill as well as something across the road west not sure what that is. Also traffic of course supplying Nipawin and tisdale from the east carrot river and those smaller towns. The peat moss and lumber mill. Lots of traffic few crossroads
    No wonder there has been many accidents there many obviously not resulted in death but some others have as there are older crosses there aren’t there? Those trees have been argued about in the past haven’t they? So what’s up is it your relatives or friends live there with those trees? On council? Or worried highways would I be responsible which in my mind they might not be legally liable but morally disgraced.

    So we re not taking about hundreds of roads where trees are an issue are we?

    Off the grid roads those out of area semis aren’t supposed to be on them are they?

    There will be another accident there hopefully if it happens it won’t be to anyone that thinks the trees should be gone but let it be if it is someone’s family that wants to so ignorantly not see part of the problem is the trees.
    Last edited by the big wheel; Feb 9, 2019 at 23:47.
    Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 19:10 47 The issue of trees blocking an intersection is a big one for us. To get to our road from the west, which is the most common direction we travel, requires turning left across oncoming traffic on a curve completely blind due to trees. Neighbor wrote off his brand new company truck doing so, last winter I had to abort my attempted turn in front of a vac truck on glare ice, just missed him, but ended up facing the wrong way in the grader bank. Many many more close calls. I ensure the county is aware, and remind them regularly, and even propose a cheap solution. But nothing gets done.

    Negotiating this corner with farm machinery or big trucks requires a spotter to block traffic. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 21:25 48 I thought this particular intersection also had a flashing red light, if It did how could any driver possibly miss that. Reply With Quote
    Feb 9, 2019 | 22:46 49 So what are we going to do when this happens again? And it will, we could cut down ever tree move every obstacle and it will still happen. It’s plain and simple if you blow through a stop sign or red light shit is going to happen. This punishing everyone for a mistake done by one idiot isn’t the answer. I thought this is why we have laws and penalties for breaking them. Instead we are going down the road of one guy screws up and everybody pays the penalty. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Feb 10, 2019 | 07:54 50
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    So what are we going to do when this happens again? And it will, we could cut down ever tree move every obstacle and it will still happen. It’s plain and simple if you blow through a stop sign or red light shit is going to happen. This punishing everyone for a mistake done by one idiot isn’t the answer. I thought this is why we have laws and penalties for breaking them. Instead we are going down the road of one guy screws up and everybody pays the penalty.
    How much time... would be lost... if the through traffic slows down to 50km/hr... or at restricted sight intersections... A 4 WAY STOP. There were 101 ways these deaths could have been prevented.



    Obeying traffic signs... properly designed intersections... 4 lane highways... with major cross traffic... have speed reductions and hung orange/Red overhead lights in the middle of the intersections on 4 lane divided highways in most places in SK... with speed reductions NOW. Why did't this standard apply HERE... at this death trap intersection?. NO COMMON SENSE caused this accident. Regulations... do not stop people from breaking laws... or using brain/being alert/ applying Common Sense...
    If other people have been killed at this intersection BEFORE... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 4 way complete stop intersection.

    SK Engineers... who approved this intersection as ... SAFE... should go to jail as well!!!

    To make the drivers the scape goats... STINKS.

    A good big legal action.. for $100,000,000.00 against the engineers who oversee these area intersections... would sure as a PUBLIC shooting... fix these death trap intersections...for good... so NO MORE people DIE!!!

    NOT 125 hrs of studying... STOP signs?.... @ $ 150.00/hr...!!!!
    HOW STUPID IS THIS...???!!!!

    A good 'Class 1 vehicle' simulator testing unit... like used for aircraft testing/training... [Westcan has/uses them] would have been a much better/smarter use of funds... to make better drivers and safety a priority on our roads... to actually make them safer.
    AS IT IS... now... nothing is much safer... more people will die... the carnage and death on our roads will not decrease significantly.

    What a tribute to all who so far... died in vain... as far as a liberal application of common sense is concerned!

    THIS situation...SHOULD BOTHER... E V E R Y O N E. My Spirit is grieved. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 08:36 51 So two stop signs and one was obeyed across the intersection from one which was not obeyed by a (distracted driver). Blame the trees blame engineers blah blah blah. Typical progressive liberal logic. Blame everyone and everthing. What is to be done on all highway crossings single or twin where there are no visibility hinderences and people are killed by a driver running a stop sign. Happens all the time on 16 west side of Saskatoon and west of langham as well as many other unobstructed intersections. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 09:31 52 Bin there if you’ve done everything possible to limit the danger and things still happen then maybe that’s all you can do but that’s not the case here

    Be the bus driver if the bronco bus.
    Your driving north on the highway 100 Km an hour. Your seeing farmland the odd farmyard.
    Then you come up on seeing the cargil terminal to the right up ahead you keep going and you see there is an Intersection then you notice train tracks 200 feet or so north of the intersection your eyes scan all those possibilities of danger but to the right you can’t see anything but trees. There is also cars approaching you from the north going south to you. Which would naturally be your main focus. As you are just prior to the intersection you can see the train tracks are clear the cars approaching are in control there is no one coming to the intersection from the left but at what was it a few seconds a loaded semi of peat moss is headed at the intersection at nearly 60 miles an hour. You only have 5 seconds or so to react that if you were paying attention to something blind siding you from the right.

    16 people died the others permanently injured physically or emotionally for life!!!!!

    TREES!!!!!

    Pathetic anyone is making this about liberal blaming. This is about facts.
    Last edited by the big wheel; Feb 10, 2019 at 09:37.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Feb 10, 2019 | 10:22 53 Not liberal blaming at all. Liberal are blaming everything but the root cause. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 10:34 54
    Quote Originally Posted by binthere View Post
    Not liberal blaming at all. Liberal are blaming everything but the root cause.
    Your suggesting I m only focused on the trees.
    I m going beyond the fact the driver is legally responsible for that accident that’s all proven and accepted by everyone.
    We re talking about steps to make this safer, anywhere anytime we can make a road safer we ought to be.

    You and others are correct can’t stop stupid so why are we being so stupid not to make that intersection safer?

    Get over the petty politics. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 10:47 55
    Quote Originally Posted by binthere View Post
    So two stop signs and one was obeyed across the intersection from one which was not obeyed by a (distracted driver). Blame the trees blame engineers blah blah blah. Typical progressive liberal logic. Blame everyone and everthing. What is to be done on all highway crossings single or twin where there are no visibility hinderences and people are killed by a driver running a stop sign. Happens all the time on 16 west side of Saskatoon and west of langham as well as many other unobstructed intersections.

    that is the liberal way , lol
    common sense is not that common anymore
    anyways wasting your time arguing with an NDP/liberal , you would get farther arguing with a doorknob
    a good point was made by someone (bucket ?) what the fuk is all this shit being hauled on hi way for?
    he will come on here soon to inform me that i have a "small" mind
    Last edited by caseih; Feb 10, 2019 at 10:58.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • GDR
    Feb 10, 2019 | 11:01 56 For other Albertans, I did talk to our MLA and he said they have had discussions in the ucp about the class 1 changes and are aware of the implications for farmers. They have looked at the stats on farm plated vehicles and sounds like they are supportive of an exemption for farm vehicles. We will see what happens after the election. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 11:09 57 And how many accidents have been avoided because of the fact people can see? I’ve avoided many dumb drivers on that road probably the areas your talking about because I can see what’s coming. What would the accident rate be there if we planted some trees there? Would it be lower? hahaha or you just don’t give a shit it’s all about who’s in the wrong And right to you.
    As many have said can’t fix stupid that’s for sure!!!!lol

    Your also comparing city volume traffic to a rural volume traffic area also there is going to be more accidents there. But compare an intersection that has trees obstructing view in all sides to one not with the same volume of traffic can you please tell us genuis which one will have more deadly accidents?

    Speaking of 16 On at least 2 of the intersections to 16 there is a grade problem. The entering roads are lower in grade than the highway. People stop it’s icy they check the view it’s clear and half way through they spin out sitting in the middle of the highway. Two of the accidents this past year were caused by that. If your too stupid to have a level grade at an intersection make sure it’s sanded 24/7. Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 12:11 58
    Quote Originally Posted by GDR View Post
    For other Albertans, I did talk to our MLA and he said they have had discussions in the ucp about the class 1 changes and are aware of the implications for farmers. They have looked at the stats on farm plated vehicles and sounds like they are supportive of an exemption for farm vehicles. We will see what happens after the election.
    Please remember;
    a) SK farmers asked for and got... an exemption from the new training requirements;
    b) Ab farmers asked for and were DENIED... an exemption from the new driver Class 1 requirements;
    c) the problem intersection was/is in SK and NOT AB;
    d) there is an election coming up in AB, the NDP apparently do not trust AB farmers... both how they drive... and how they vote... they must be punished... as there is apparently no hope that 'fair' application of the solution to this problem [Trucks hitting Busses]... other than to punish Alberta Farmers.

    Many AB Farmers have driven Class 1 Vehicles... without Class 1 Licenses... without accidents... as farm more dangerous farm equipment... is safely transported... WITH NO FORMAL TRAINING... other than a generous application of Common Sense.

    As I stated... this is the best example currently available... of why AB NDP are not worthy to continue to rule Alberta.
    Cheers Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 13:01 59
    Quote Originally Posted by binthere View Post
    So two stop signs and one was obeyed across the intersection from one which was not obeyed by a (distracted driver). Blame the trees blame engineers blah blah blah. Typical progressive liberal logic. Blame everyone and everthing. What is to be done on all highway crossings single or twin where there are no visibility hinderences and people are killed by a driver running a stop sign. Happens all the time on 16 west side of Saskatoon and west of langham as well as many other unobstructed intersections.
    Binthere,
    How much are lives worth?
    All direction stop intersections quadruple the safety for occupants of prevention of death in vehicles....

    At what cost? 1 minute... to assure your loved ones are safe... what traffic engineer can't figure this out?

    The Truck Hockey Bus disaster... would not have happened... virtually assured by a simple low cost solution. Too much Common Sense for you?
    Cheers! Reply With Quote
    Feb 10, 2019 | 13:32 60
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Binthere,
    How much are lives worth?
    All direction stop intersections quadruple the safety for occupants of prevention of death in vehicles....

    At what cost? 1 minute... to assure your loved ones are safe... what traffic engineer can't figure this out?
    Well, if you want to look at it mathematically, if it costs 1 additional minute for every vehicle to stop by making them all 4 way stops ( there is nothing stopping you from stopping at every intersection already, if you want). How many intersections in Sask and how many miles driven?

    To make a very rough approximation. 1 million residents, average km driven 20,000 per year. Additional 4 way intersection every 8 km (half were stop signs already, just in the opposite direction only(probably way more than that, but lets keep main highways free flowing). 1 additional minute per added 4 way stop. (Can you get your semi from 100km to 0 and back and only lose 1 minute?)

    That is an additional 2500 stops per year, losing 2500 minutes from each persons life that year, or 1.736 days per year spent stopping at 4 way stops. That adds up to 4756 person years spent stopping at new 4 ways stops. At an average life span that works out to about 63 lifetimes wasted per year in Saskatchewan, Can the 4 ways save more lives than that?

    Also time spent modifying every intersection, additional sanding in winter, washboards created from stopping, fuel burnt accelerating, brakes replaced, wear and tear on vehicles.

    I have a much better idea, lets hurry up and get self driving cars on the road, or at least integrate our existing driven cars into a system where they can all know where every other car is and take evasive maneuvres on our behalf when something goes wrong that we can't yet see. Reply With Quote