• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If farmers must pay more for seed, they want more say

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=TOM4CWB;402275]
    Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post

1) If you read my original post... it said 18+50% and I said 30% not in compliance... the 50% I said IS in compliance.
    2) you are required to illegally disclose what variety of wheat you grow... The CWB did... and the CGC does today... it is required to answer the sales question honestly.. of whether or not compliance is complied with... when the class or variety declarations are signed off at the sale point.
    3) In the trailing royalty proposal.. this illegal non-pedigreed seed identification / thorny issue continues... as declaration of variety is needed each year... to pay the trailing royalty per the contract signed to receive the first Certified Seed.
    4) The requirement to illegally declare the variety... when it is not Certified Seed... incentivizes further trade and production of non pedigreed seed... as the seed royalty collected will be necessary in function.. so it is less on non pedigreed seed/acres... which will again incentivize underground illegal production... and encourage improper declarations of varieties that are not certified seed. Hence... the reason plant breeders are not using the trailing royalty system today... they could choose to if they wanted... but do not. So no matter how we look at this... I agree with your thesis that trailing royalties are unworkable...
    Okay, lets assume I misunderstood your first post. So you claim 30% of seed each year is not in compliance. Where are you getting his figure? Please provide your source.

2. You ARE NOT required by CGC to disclose the variety of wheat at point of sale, only the class of wheat. Here is the CGC rules https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/wheat-ble/ds-sd/dsm-msd-eng.htm https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/wheat-ble/ds-sd/dsm-msd-eng.htm

3 You are prohibited by Canada's Seed Regulations to use a variety name for all commercially grown wheat plus most other crops). Variety names can only be used to describe pedigree production.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/variety-registration/registration-procedures/questions-and-answers/eng/1360122407834/1360122517324 http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/variety-registration/registration-procedures/questions-and-answers/eng/1360122407834/1360122517324

Therefore, as I have stated, any attempt to define commercial seed by variety for purpose of royalties or taxation upon sale will open up the market to commercial farmers being able to sell commercial production by variety name. The seed industry cannot have it both ways!

Comment

[QUOTE=dmlfarmer;402276]
      Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post

Okay, lets assume I misunderstood your first post. So you claim 30% of seed each year is not in compliance. Where are you getting his figure? Please provide your source.

2. You ARE NOT required by CGC to disclose the variety of wheat at point of sale, only the class of wheat. Here is the CGC rules https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/wheat-ble/ds-sd/dsm-msd-eng.htm https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/wheat-ble/ds-sd/dsm-msd-eng.htm

3 You are prohibited by Canada's Seed Regulations to use a variety name for all commercially grown wheat plus most other crops). Variety names can only be used to describe pedigree production.
      http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/variety-registration/registration-procedures/questions-and-answers/eng/1360122407834/1360122517324 http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/variety-registration/registration-procedures/questions-and-answers/eng/1360122407834/1360122517324

Therefore, as I have stated, any attempt to define commercial seed by variety for purpose of royalties or taxation upon sale will open up the market to commercial farmers being able to sell commercial production by variety name. The seed industry cannot have it both ways!
      The seed synergy group will quickly get the rules changed to suit their purpose.....wait for it....

Comment

Glad you guys are digging in on this issue .

It seems to cross all political
        Lines. And most commercial growers are pretty wary of where we may be headed.

Like the guy said wheat yields have gone up the same percentage as
        Canola . Without the astronomical
        Price increases.
        So we are fixing this why?

We watched the canola game play out the last 30 years.
        So we have a pretty good idea
        Where the seed industry wants to take us.
        Canola seed did not start out at 14$/lbs.

The big seed co.s may play nice for a while in ceral and pulses.
        A decent product at a decent
        price.

At least until they run the public breeders out of business
        And buy up anybody else left.

(CANOLA REPEAT)

Then all hell breaks loose.
        3or4 co.s run it all.

Charge whatever they want.
        Nice govt. Mandated collection scheme all set up in place.

Another thing . Important.
        Related to what I said about the Free trade agreement the other
        Day.
        I am pretty sure.
        (Somebody correct me if I am wrong)
        That today
        You could no bring back .
        PUBLIC GOVT. Canola breeding
        Without being sued for loss of future revenue by the seed co.s .
        Under the FTA terms.

So that in the not to distant
        Future.
        With SEED co.s pricing reasonable . They have gained a 75%
        Share of the market.
        In cereals and pulses.

Then a Federal election and new conservative govt. Gets Elected.

Of course they say , the private sector is doing a fine job
        Of variety development.

Why the hell are we paying these
        GD public employees to do what the
        Privates already do.

Axe the whole thing.
        And they do .

Mission accomplished for the seed industry.

Time to jack up the prices.
        Unstoppable now

The only real competition is dead.
        Public breeding
        Can not come back .
        Without being sued under the FTA

Checkmate

Comment

[QUOTE=dmlfarmer;402276]

DML Farmer,

My [back of match pac] logic on the Planted Seed sources is this:

18% Certified seed...
          Then 3 years average grown from legally used by Commercial farmer on own farm[52%].

There by leaving perhaps 30% seed use then that is not in compliance with PBR laws left over.

Confirmation work;
          I did talk to a major seed co leader today... and he would not quote the exact stats... because as WD9 says... the plant breeders and Seed Co's are somewhat afraid if we knew... but really want access to the information that every single commercial grain growers planted cereal varieties sown by acreage[each year].

Then it is the responsibility of commercial grain growers to justify where these varieties came from...
          and "after the old varieties are 'deregistered'... cough cough splutter... I should say are reclassified... we will then get the funds we need to properly"...fund cereal varieties etc etc... by having grain growers buy the new varieties,

My spirit was/is grieved. I suppose this dear fellow thought I would be impressed... in a positive way... WRONG.

I told this fellow... with privacy laws... and as he called it the 'underground' seed trade already in place... I told him he was dreaming if he thought the trailing royalty model would significantly change the current CULTURAL situation of historic individual commercial farmer non-compliance, RE; R&D variety funding of Cereals.

WD9 again is right... we can fund a reasonable varietal development cereals program... through the primarily the public plant breeding system... if non-compliance to PBR laws is stopped... and the underground seed sales system were shut down.

Upov 78 makes it illegal to Sell any registered Varieties as common seed.
          Upov 91 makes it illegal to Sell OR BUY any registered Varieties as common seed
          PBR has been in effect for 25 years... so good luck with varieties over 25 years old...

With genetic testing... the new technology can tell exactly which varieties are in a blended sample... down to the single percent... and the CGC and CWB were doing this a decade ago.

I said the foolishness of doing the same thing over and over, ... yet expecting a different result... applied here.

The Seed Growers are generally not impressed with how this was being rolled out,,, and how Seed Grower farmers are taking the abuse from the seed trade rush to come up with a solution.

CGC protections of registered varieties were withdrawn... because climatic conditions and the failure of Variety screening to properly apply gluten strength standards... I was told today. He agreed this should be a grading quality issue... Not an excuse to downgrade varieties [to a lower CGC class] because of bad weather.

So the CWB leg of the 3 legged stool [CGC Act, Seeds Act, CWB Act] has left us with grain farmers at the mercy of multinational extraction of value from blending of CWRS ..., all wheat... because the CGC now listens to grain co's their customers[CWB farmer voice is gone]

Was told in so many words.. "Cereals Canada and cereal producer commissions did not have enough clout to force the CGC to back down".

Cheers!
          It is a brave new world!!! Two steps forward... and one back!!!!
          Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 11, 2019, 20:53.

Comment

Rareearth, end point royalties in Australia... have shown a decrease in Certified Seed... but the compliance funding for R and D funds need is gone... as funding does not depend on Certified Seed Sales... just that actual seed planted purity be proficient to meet the needs of the end users.

Trailing royalties have a huge compliance problem... just like in our present system today.
            This was never about “seed planted purity” rates though was it?

These royalties are only being promoted by seed companies and seed farms due to a possible increase in revenue. Just look at the solidarity of the seed industry pushing this seed tax. They are trying to tell us the only two options are a trailing royalty or an end point royalty and to trust the seed companies as they know best....LOL.

Comment

[QUOTE=TOM4CWB;402295]

DML Farmer,

My [back of match pac] logic on the Planted Seed sources is this:

18% Certified seed...
              Then 3 years average grown from legally used by Commercial farmer on own farm[52%].

There by leaving perhaps 30% seed use then that is not in compliance with PBR laws left over.

Confirmation work;
              I did talk to a major seed co leader today... and he would not quote the exact stats... because as WD9 says... the plant breeders and Seed Co's are somewhat afraid if we knew... but really want access to the information that every single commercial grain growers planted cereal varieties sown by acreage[each year].

Then it is the responsibility of commercial grain growers to justify where these varieties came from...
              and "after the old varieties are 'deregistered'... cough cough splutter... I should say are reclassified... we will then get the funds we need to properly"...fund cereal varieties etc etc... by having grain growers buy the new varieties,

My spirit was/is grieved. I suppose this dear fellow thought I would be impressed... in a positive way... WRONG.

I told this fellow... with privacy laws... and as he called it the 'underground' seed trade already in place... I told him he was dreaming if he thought the trailing royalty model would significantly change the current CULTURAL situation of historic individual commercial farmer non-compliance, RE; R&D variety funding of Cereals.

WD9 again is right... we can fund a reasonable varietal development cereals program... through the primarily the public plant breeding system... if non-compliance to PBR laws is stopped... and the underground seed sales system were shut down.

Upov 78 makes it illegal to Sell any registered Varieties as common seed.
              Upov 91 makes it illegal to Sell OR BUY any registered Varieties as common seed
              PBR has been in effect for 25 years... so good luck with varieties over 25 years old...

With genetic testing... the new technology can tell exactly which varieties are in a blended sample... down to the single percent... and the CGC and CWB were doing this a decade ago.

I said the foolishness of doing the same thing over and over, ... yet expecting a different result... applied here.

The Seed Growers are generally not impressed with how this was being rolled out,,, and how Seed Grower farmers are taking the abuse from the seed trade rush to come up with a solution.

CGC protections of registered varieties were withdrawn... because climatic conditions and the failure of Variety screening to properly apply gluten strength standards... I was told today. He agreed this should be a grading quality issue... Not an excuse to downgrade varieties [to a lower CGC class] because of bad weather.

So the CWB leg of the 3 legged stool [CGC Act, Seeds Act, CWB Act] has left us with grain farmers at the mercy of multinational extraction of value from blending of CWRS ..., all wheat... because the CGC now listens to grain co's their customers[CWB farmer voice is gone]

Was told in so many words.. "Cereals Canada and cereal producer commissions did not have enough clout to force the CGC to back down".

Cheers!
              It is a brave new world!!! Two steps forward... and one back!!!!
              Tom, sorry I think your math is off. Non compliance is way lower than you calculate because many people use farm saved seed longer than 3 years. In my case I probably average 4 or 5. I even know a couple neighbours that would be 10 or more.

Comment

[QUOTE=LEP;402297]

Tom, sorry I think your math is off. Non compliance is way lower than you calculate because many people use farm saved seed longer than 3 years. In my case I probably average 4 or 5. I even know a couple neighbours that would be 10 or more.
                LEP Thanks for your input;
                Obviously from year to year... the amount of saved reseeded acreage changes... as drought and frost events play a role. Even if we cut the number of PBR infringement acres in half... this would still double the royalties collected. What is sustainable? What is fair? Why not have fair costs shared in a fair way? What would this amount be? We need to have the discussion with factual numbers... and a resolution... with those who pay... determining the outcome.
                Cheers.

Comment

Tom why not have real farmers for once try to be sustainable. Not protect and make a welfare system for seed growers and seed companies.

If a variety is great we buy it .

If a variety is shit we leave it behind.

Every company selling seed tells me it’s 10% better than the one we grow. Some aren’t even close yet these will be subsidized.

It’s a crock of shit welfare system

Comment

Tom, your calculation is not taking into account that when farmers buy a new variety they do not purchase it for every acre. But if they like it, it may be the only variety they seed of that crop for the next few years. For example, lets say I seed 2500 acres of wheat every year. I want to try a new variety but I don't try it on every acre. I purchase seed from a seed grower for 3 quarters, (to make it easy lets say 500 acres. I really like it so the next year and following couple of years I use my farm saved seed for all wheat acres I plant. I did not buy or sell any brown bag seed and legally seeded only farm saved seed. My initial purchase was 500/2500 acres or roughly 20% which fits with amount of pedigreed seed purchased. But on my farm, my pedigreed seed purchase for the next year is 0% yet I seeded 5 times the acres with that variety. That is how production expands so quickly - not because of illegal brown bagged sales.

Comment

Tom, your calculation is not taking into account that when farmers buy a new variety they do not purchase it for every acre. But if they like it, it may be the only variety they seed of that crop for the next few years. For example, lets say I seed 2500 acres of wheat every year. I want to try a new variety but I don't try it on every acre. I purchase seed from a seed grower for 3 quarters, (to make it easy lets say 500 acres. I really like it so the next year and following couple of years I use my farm saved seed for all wheat acres I plant. I did not buy or sell any brown bag seed and legally seeded only farm saved seed. My initial purchase was 500/2500 acres or roughly 20% which fits with amount of pedigreed seed purchased. But on my farm, my pedigreed seed purchase for the next year is 0% yet I seeded 5 times the acres with that variety. That is how production expands so quickly - not because of illegal brown bagged sales.
                      But you see TOM4$4HIMSELF wants some action on your own multiplication of that 20 percent for the rest of your farm forever. ...

He won't address the issue if the time you buy a new variety and it's a dud.....then he wants the royalty plus the chance to sell you new seed again....

As I said before ......he is just a lark for his masters. ....

The details to this seed tax have not been made clear. ...like who compensates farmers for a variety that doesn't perform to the standards or characteristics the seed grower advertises.....

Or if it affects a market.....

Or gets reclassified....

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                        Tom why not have real farmers for once try to be sustainable. Not protect and make a welfare system for seed growers and seed companies.

If a variety is great we buy it .

If a variety is shit we leave it behind.

Every company selling seed tells me it’s 10% better than the one we grow. Some aren’t even close yet these will be subsidized.

It’s a crock of shit welfare system
                        Thx SF3

The underground [ PBR intellectual property protection breaching] trade/sales of planting seed... is/was the discussion... when I and my family are forced to pay TWICE AS MUCH royalty on Certified planting Seed... because some folks take advantage of family farmers like us... to 'feather their nests' with our blood sweat and tears.
                        Have a great day... from the shores of -30 with 20km winds warming our souls!!!

Comment

The most amazing part of Tom's reply is that he admits he has no actual proof of his claim that 30% of the seed is brown bag illegal seed, that it is simply his back of the match book estimate. This is the criteria farmers on which are being told to accept additional costs on? Unbelievable. Surely there is better proof that action needs to be taken than wild guesstimates.

Second, Tom, if you think 30% (or more) of your growers are ripping you off, why are you even a seed grower?

Third: If my fuel retailer said to me, you are not using as much fuel as your neighbors, therefore I think you must be stealing fuel from me or someone else, how long do think it would be before I told that retailer where to go and changed fuel suppliers. Accusing your customers of theft without any proof is extremely poor customer relations. No wonder farmers are upset with the seed industry/growers.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            But you see TOM4$4HIMSELF wants some action on your own multiplication of that 20 percent for the rest of your farm forever. ...

He won't address the issue if the time you buy a new variety and it's a dud.....then he wants the royalty plus the chance to sell you new seed again....

The details to this seed tax have not been made clear. ...like who compensates farmers for a variety that doesn't perform to the standards or characteristics the seed grower advertises.....

Or gets reclassified....
                            Agree 100% Too bad the seed industry is not honest enough to admit the reason for royalties is a tax on farm multiplication of seed rather than blame it on their guesstimates of brown bagging and the need for research. I respect honesty. I have no respect for con games/BSers.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

Or gets reclassified....
                              Bucket,

Did you actually read anything in the last 10 posts?

Perhaps if you had...

you would reflect that clubbing the folks who are asking and looking for practical common sense solutions... with your spiteful vernacular... could you please consider our honest attempt to do the difficult task of standing in the way of overwhelming injustice/cultural profiteering ... who thank you every time... you help them pocket big $$$ at the expense of our family farms.

Thx for your genuine consideration of these issues in advance.
                              Sincerely

Comment

Let's make this simple....

TOM's masters want more money....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.