• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lice control

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lice control

Noticed lots of cows scratching and losing hair.I ivomec them a month ago.Went in to pick up some more at the vet.Another guy was redoing his herd.He was switching products.sounded like many customers this year did not get good results from ivomec this year.Is the product not as good or is the lice getting resistant.?

I’ve been hearing the same from a few guys both ivomec and generic treated cows scratching.

Comment

Noticed same here talked to guys they figure lice getting immune because that's all we have been using some guys going back to oilers and ivomec every second year don't know if that the answer but could be lice getting tougher

Comment

Same here. Treated the calves (Ivomec) in the end of December and they were scratching again now.

I am wondering if they need to be done twice, in like about 3 weeks after the first treatment. Being systemic, it should stay with them long enough to get a 2nd flush of lice, I thought.

Comment

Ours were treated around Christmas and they continued to scratch for several weeks and probably 10% lost a lot of hair. They have all quit now but some animals look really rough. Some neighbors are treating again and everyone I’ve talked to hasn’t been impressed with the control they got. Might have to switch up products like others have suggested. We do that when treating for hoofrot and such already.

Kinda interesting and scary that it’s a widespread problem that just showed up this year.

Comment

We have changed over to Solvent, it is a product developed by Vets in Alberta that is supposed to be as good as the orignal Ivomec. The price is the same as the generics and seems to work, we have no cows scratching much. I think it is only sold through the Vet clinics.

Comment

Originally posted by bullshead View Post
              We have changed over to Solvent, it is a product developed by Vets in Alberta that is supposed to be as good as the orignal Ivomec. The price is the same as the generics and seems to work, we have no cows scratching much. I think it is only sold through the Vet clinics.
              When it comes to ivermectin and winter lice, I always apply 2 to 3 times the guesstimate dose, never even come close to having a single louse. A lot of lice issues are a result of under dosing. If you had someone weigh every cow at time of application and put the exact dose on, and then had lice afterwards, then I would say it is a resistance issue.

Comment

Got some Noramectin last year from Peavey Mart that was diluted with water - froze in the gun. Haven't done cows for a few years - no itching. We usually do the weaned calves and bulls as they're around the corrals where the problems seem to occur.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.