• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transition

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition

If you were or are getting older and there is no known transition plan or successor in place, how would you want (or maybe would not want) to be approached by a neighbor or a younger farmer about your future and seeking consideration for renting your land when you no longer want to farm?

Interesting question. I would like to think I look around me, and pick a guy or two who NEED MORE LAND THE MOST.

I would love to be that one farmer, who just for once, retires and helps a guy out who actually needs more land. I certainly would not look at their machinery setup and base it off that.

And yes, I have a couple guys in mind if something were to happen to me.

How would I like to be approached? Certainly not in an arrogant way, or in an untimely way. I would not want you to beat around the bush, get to the point. If you already have enough land, don't even try me out. I will not be impressed.

Comment

By someone who will value your asset like you do, by someone who will treat it like it's their own, by someone who may not be the highest bidder but you know you will get paid, by someone who doesn't make you feel like they're doing you a favor, by someone you respect and admire for the good job they do.

Good luck.

Comment

i sure know who is not going to get it. i have some 'younger guys', even some old fuk3rs in the area always going to my long term landlords offering more. I just pay more to keep the land and piss them off. afterall, i only rent about 25% of my landbase, so no big deal. when im ready to retire and rent it all out, ill remind them of the past, and rent it to the biggest bto or the huts.

Comment

Originally posted by willy16 View Post
          If you were or are getting older and there is no known transition plan or successor in place, how would you want (or maybe would not want) to be approached by a neighbor or a younger farmer about your future and seeking consideration for renting your land when you no longer want to farm?
          Your best approach is just ask directly to be considered when or if the person is ready to rent. If you are known to the owner he will know how you farm. If he sounds at all interested explain how you stick to a good rotation etc. If he asks what you will pay offer the going rate or a rate tied to commodity prices and or crop insurance. That helps both of you in that when prices are in the tank you don't have to go hat in hand and when they are good he gets a little more.

Good Luck

Comment

As a renter you are custodian of there land leave it better shape that started and go the extra mile.

Often here in australia some rents are getting in the stratosphere and some landowners actually take less rent and sharefarm meaning they pay% of inputs and get a bigger return often.

They still have skin in the game whilst collecting some rent and some of grain income as well.

Hope that makes sense.

The flip side you get "rogue" landowners who dont give a shit a guy might bust his arse on a piece of dirt for you for 3 to 5 years and when it comes up tender/rent again they just take highest offer and say see ya later to previous renter.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
              As a renter you are custodian of there land leave it better shape that started and go the extra mile.

Often here in australia some rents are getting in the stratosphere and some landowners actually take less rent and sharefarm meaning they pay% of inputs and get a bigger return often.

They still have skin in the game whilst collecting some rent and some of grain income as well.

Hope that makes sense.

The flip side you get "rogue" landowners who dont give a shit a guy might bust his arse on a piece of dirt for you for 3 to 5 years and when it comes up tender/rent again they just take highest offer and say see ya later to previous renter.
              Yep thats what happened to me 50yr ago,I farmed in some of the best dirt in alberta Red Deer area rented all my land with brother inlaw but when rent came due it was someone else got it because that shiny new iron sure looked good in their field,never even got a chance to renew,so moved to poor rocky land but at least I own it.

As for picking someone who needs it how much is enough JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE. I like the crop share option as you can maintain farm status if it is shares. Wish I had a transition plan but cant see anyway a single girl could survive ,its all a numbers game and I dont see it changing anytime soon,subsistance farming on a 1/4 mabey but the rest is more of a liability as costs to much to keep up with the mob 900 acres just dont cut it anymore even if it is all paid for.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...