• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatoon seed royalty meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
    I want to legislate elevators have to pay me an EPR on grain i grow and deliver. That way they can pay me so I can develop ways to grow more grain and deliver more. It's win win.
    Exactly ...someone should be paying me for the use of my land for their super duper varieties just in case I am stuck with any cleanup bills.....

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
      Not sure why you make this comment to me. I have argued with commissions over and over we don’t need to grow more grain ( higher yields) until we can ship now what we grow. Why not spend some commission money to detail how we fix the 5 biggest bottle necks in the systems
      As for arguing about durum right now how does this apply? There isn’t any international buyers right now for durum and we have the highest feed market price in southern Alberta in North America. That’s why the price is the same. I myself will be selling #1 durum Into the feedlots. how does Italy shuttin down imports have to do with this whole thread How many times, all over the world, in the last 20 years has top grade grain sold for the same as feed Happens all the time
      Then why does the point people at the information meetings talk about research into higher yielding and higher quality in cereals....that was the first question I asked in Saskatoon about qualifying better performing varieties....

And then later how do you move more crop in a system not prepared for it...mostly because no one in Canada does trend lines like the states....

Comment

What are the 5 biggest bottlenecks in the system?

Comment

Why not spend some commission money speaking up against the tsunami of bad information from the organic industry - the consumer will listen if we actually say something.

We just sit here with a stupid look on our face and hands in our pockets with millions of farmer levy dollars in "funds" because they have no ideas on how to spend them besides yet another fertilizer trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
            What are the 5 biggest bottlenecks in the system?
            1. Closing of functional elevators or not updating them....forcing other elevators to handle more and at higher cost to producers.

2. West coast at close to 2 million tonnes of vessels waiting....

3. The west coast can't load in the rain...

4. The mountains....and yet the europeans can core through mountains on a regular basis....

5. Lots of space on prairie farms but commercial storage hasn't grown with the increase in production...just because farmers have built storage doesn't move the crop any faster...grain has to be positioned to a railway to move faster....

6. Grain that is graded on the prairies is re graded at the coast ...even within the same company ...thats stupid and not really sure how grain can change grade between prairie elevator and the west coast within the confines of a rail car????????

Not sure if that answers it but I tried....
            Last edited by bucket; Jan 19, 2019, 14:57.

Comment

I nevered said anyone is a troll. I just made a comment and then was attacked. Have a read back. Yup back in 2012 and before farming under the board was way better then today. Your saying terminals are closing since 2012? As for trains don’t you remember CWB forcing you to to hold 60% of your durum back and 40% of your spring wheat back year after year. Don’t you think that would effect rail. Never mind how much busier the rail lines are today bs 2012. I don’t see any extra rail lines to offset that
              Wow I m not sure if your just playing ignorant to the facts or your really that clueless. Nonetheless ok wonder if you had anything to do or any real clout that most of the changes we ve had have put us backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Not sure if that answers it but I tried....
                How about post harvest trade crash by stats can and USDA that forces us to store this shit until spring break up and the try to get it all on the trains and boats in a just two months before road bans.

How do you address the marketing issue like Italy, well surprise surprise you get your ag ministers and farm groups on a plane and hit those countries that we trade with and try to resolve the problem in person or you do like trump does and do a reciprocal trade deal. Put a tariff on designer handbags to get their attention, whatever, f do something.

There should be a group of trade reps flying all the time just like those old Trade Team Canada trips back in the Chretien era.

Bucket, re:#4, like we should stop banging our heads on the rockies and take some more down the St Lawrence and Churchill. Take it through the American system.
                Last edited by jazz; Jan 19, 2019, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  Wow I m not sure if your just playing ignorant to the facts or your really that clueless. Nonetheless ok wonder if you had anything to do or any real clout that most of the changes we ve had have put us backwards.
                  The Open market has set us backwards? If that’s what you think it’s great for all the readers on here to know that’s what drives your perspectives. Your right I didn’t have anything to do with the phase out of the monopoly. Called my bluff

Comment

The Open market has set us backwards? If that’s what you think it’s great for all the readers on here to know that’s what drives your perspectives. Your right I didn’t have anything to do with the phase out of the monopoly. Called my bluff

This is not a debate about the CWB. Lots of us were growing non CWB commodities long before its demise.

This about rejigging Canadian ag system to be able to take on the new paradigm. Maybe you haven't heard but this big expensive grow more low margin on higher volume for low price model is OVER and you and your group are trying to keep it going.

We will not out compete developing ag nations by growing a bushel or two an acre and then not being able to find buyer or move it timely.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      How about post harvest trade crash by stats can and USDA that forces us to store this shit until spring break up and the try to get it all on the trains and boats in a just two months before road bans.

How do you address the marketing issue like Italy, well surprise surprise you get your ag ministers and farm groups on a plane and hit those countries that we trade with and try to resolve the problem in person or you do like trump does and do a reciprocal trade deal. Put a tariff on designer handbags to get their attention, whatever, f do something.

There should be a group of trade reps flying all the time just like those old Trade Team Canada trips back in the Chretien era.

Bucket, re:#4, like we should stop banging our heads on the rockies and take some more down the St Lawrence and Churchill. Take it through the American system.

Some of the problems you mention could be alleviated...here is a simple solution....when farmers start contracting for off the combine delivery in February for september , the grainco should be able to start ordering their car requirements or building their trains.....they can't now....just another little detail vvalk forgot to discuss in his 10 years of Ottawa work.....

I agree we should be looking to more north south traffic as opposed to east west....but who would that benefit....follow the money...although AGT seems to be into the money with no performance standards using Churchill with that 110 million...
                      Last edited by bucket; Jan 19, 2019, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        This is not a debate about the CWB. Lots of us were growing non CWB commodities long before its demise.

This about rejigging Canadian ag system to be able to take on the new paradigm. Maybe you haven't heard but this big expensive grow more low margin on higher volume for low price model is OVER and you and your group are trying to keep it going.

We will not out compete developing ag nations by growing a bushel or two an acre and then not being able to find buyer or move it timely.
                        What has this whole comment have anything to do with a new seed value creation model? Your suggesting this whole new model will only be about growing more for grain volumes? And then assuming you will automatically get less for it? Let’s say you do get less then your argument is to grow less for less? That’s how you want to compete against the world? Everyone here also concludes that we will pay for new varieties that the rest of he world will just take? You don’t think they will get better varieties in their own anyways and we will be stuck with what we have today. Again most research out of all his will be in different traits that make us more money not yield.

Comment

What has this whole comment have anything to do with a new seed value creation model? Your suggesting this whole new model will only be about growing more for grain volumes? And then assuming you will automatically get less for it? Let’s say you do get less then your argument is to grow less for less? That’s how you want to compete against the world? Everyone here also concludes that we will pay for new varieties that the rest of he world will just take? You don’t think they will get better varieties in their own anyways and we will be stuck with what we have today. Again most research out of all his will be in different traits that make us more money not yield.
                          BTW I didn’t bring the CWB into this discussion

Comment

Sask3. Show me where the wheat growers take a position on this. You call us out because we say we need have a dialogue on developing a new system? The WG have never advocTed for one system over another. You really believe our current system works and is profitable as other crops? Comments on here about #4 with the same as #1. Maybe farmers should put all this energy into dismantling the CGC. That organization has lost farmers more money then the CWB. Finally what makes you think seed costs will go up as well as say an EPR. That’s not the way it works. Ask Mallefarmer what he thinks of epr.

Uh...yup you did....first one in this thread to mention the CWB
                            Last edited by bucket; Jan 19, 2019, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Uh...yup you did....
                              No. That was a comparison to the CGC. I didn’t bring it into the original arguments of the thread

Comment

tomato....tomatoe...,,.....symantecs....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.