• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatoon seed royalty meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the greedy pricks have considered that maybe no one will grow the shit if there is no money in it ???
    other than wheat midge tolerant , they haven't acclomplished sfa , and made it a lot more succepptable to fus
    every new variety yields 2 or 3 % more than the one before ?
    it's a ****ing joke

Comment

Exactly SF3. We pay for and develop some great variety and Russian millers order 10 container because of it “excellent milling qualities” and low and behold they are a major exporter of that variety in 2 yrs. Look no further than lentils and Kazakhstan. Oh but wait there is staving kids in the world how self centred of me.

Oh course secan, Canterra and PF are for this. The seed majors will come down on this space and buy them all out for a healthy amount.

Follow the money.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
        Exactly SF3. We pay for and develop some great variety and Russian millers order 10 container because of it “excellent milling qualities” and low and behold they are a major exporter of that variety in 2 yrs. Look no further than lentils and Kazakhstan. Oh but wait there is staving kids in the world how self centred of me.
        Is sterilized seed a possibility? In the event that this farmer funding results in super varieties, for example, the holy grail, and wheat that can fix nitrogen, providing Canadian farmers with a significant COP advantage over our competition who don't have access to it, could we protect that variety from being stolen by other countries? Sterilize it before export, or seed that is sterile naturally(an obvious oxymoron, and logistical complication). It would be easier to justify paying for it, even in perpetuity, if it genuinely gives us a unique advantage.
        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jan 19, 2019, 00:35.

Comment

vvalk going to return to answer questions?

Comment

Sounds like the WCWGA is on the side of change, is freedom and choice an option for the freedom and choice crusaders in regards to the options? Which model? I prefer the "**** you" model. Not the lesser of two evils model. Off patent varieties, should they ever be able to be de-registered? Do they really ever put Canada's quality reputation at risk? I bet terminal blending risks our reputation more than varieties. Start buying on spec... falling number, protien, test weight and moisture and variety quality will sort itself out. But instead the rules have been and are being put in place in advance of our limited options choice.

I can't wrap my head around how a grain producer could advocate for greater costs without guarantees of greater benefits.

WCWGA, free marketers my ass.... Industry knob gobbling lapdogs more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Sounds like the WCWGA is on the side of change, is freedom and choice an option for the freedom and choice crusaders in regards to the options? Which model? I prefer the "**** you" model. Not the lesser of two evils model. Off patent varieties, should they ever be able to be de-registered? Do they really ever put Canada's quality reputation at risk? I bet terminal blending risks our reputation more than varieties. Start buying on spec... falling number, protien, test weight and moisture and variety quality will sort itself out. But instead the rules have been and are being put in place in advance of our limited options choice.

I can't wrap my head around how a grain producer could advocate for greater costs without guarantees of greater benefits.

Very TRUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Geez ...thats as harsh as my "you dumb ****" comment ....be careful farmaholic.. you will be labelled a jealous coffee shop farmer by those elite 4th generation farmers that had daddy doing the work while they pranced around smelling politicians farts....lol...

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Is sterilized seed a possibility? In the event that this farmer funding results in super varieties, for example, the holy grail, and wheat that can fix nitrogen, providing Canadian farmers with a significant COP advantage over our competition who don't have access to it, could we protect that variety from being stolen by other countries? Sterilize it before export, or seed that is sterile naturally(an obvious oxymoron, and logistical complication). It would be easier to justify paying for it, even in perpetuity, if it genuinely gives us a unique advantage.
                  they have it already , it's called the terminator gene

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    And there is plenty of guys that are growing RR wheat....if it was ever researched here the genie is out of the bottle.....

Similar process as Triffid flax....ten years later it was found...

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      What you are referring to is Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURTS). It would solve so many problems like volunteers, adventitious presence issues, no TUA's etc but it died in '05 as just one more way that Monsanto was going to control the worlds food population and the successful consumer fear campaign of the organic industry to keep ag locked into 1967.

Are you there vvalk?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plants-with-novel-traits/general-public/gurts/eng/1337406710213/1337406801948 http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plants-with-novel-traits/general-public/gurts/eng/1337406710213/1337406801948

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                        Vvalk, could you perhaps explain in more detail how variety development would help profitability? Are you hoping the EPR would somehow help in creating a superwheat or have characteristics that no other country could duplicate? If other countries come up with the greatest germplasm, lets just buy it.

Once disease resistance, or yield gains are discovered, all the countries immediately follow suit and we are right back to where we are today - minus a large EPR deduction. Wouldn't it maybe be better if the world produced less wheat and there was market pull for our product, not always market push?

Profitable crops are that way because of market demand, not germplasm research. Wheat will never be bio engineered, so the realizable gains are tiny at best.

Staying ahead of the demand for wheat is not how you make money. So, curious how any of this will benefit the farmer?

In regards to EPR and GRDC, name one major advancement in wheat after the billions spent?
                        How many Australian farmers would go back to their old systems since EPR were introduced. How many Australian varieties are grown in western Canada? Why are new varieties always about yield? One component for sure and maybe the biggest? What about disease resistance example fusarium , drought tolerant, lower inputs needed, much shorter straw. Sawfly resistant Salt tolerant etc etc. One thing I would agree is that older varieties shouldn’t be deregistered to force farmers into upov 91 varieties and newer. Again that’s a CGC issue and pretty sure the wgwga again is and has been in front of the CGC change discussions.

Comment

The seed companies can just do whatever makes them a buck as long as we aren’t paying for them to play. How much do they need? The pedigreed seed system worked for years, government chipped in from time to time. Now that’s not enough, they want producers to be on the hook( over and over) for all their “experiments”. Correct me if I am wrong Vvalk.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            Geez ...thats as harsh as my "you dumb ****" comment ....be careful farmaholic.. you will be labelled a jealous coffee shop farmer by those elite 4th generation farmers that had daddy doing the work while they pranced around smelling politicians farts....lol...
                            I’ll assume Bucket that was meant for me. Yes I’m fourth generation but my family doesn’t have succession issues. My great grandfather and grandfather all left farming in their fifties. My dad quit working on the farm besides helping here and there when I came back from university when I was 22 years old. I have been runnning the farm in its entirety since then have have tripled in size. All while working for almost 10 years in Ottawa helping to get rid of the CWB amongst other things. I actually get involved instead of being a know it all who sits behind a key board criticizing everything and everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                              What you are referring to is Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURTS). It would solve so many problems like volunteers, adventitious presence issues, no TUA's etc but it died in '05 as just one more way that Monsanto was going to control the worlds food population and the successful consumer fear campaign of the organic industry to keep ag locked into 1967.
                              Thanks for the explanation and link. I remember hearing a lot about it, but then it fell off the radar, and I didn't know what the status was, or if it just wasn't viable.

Don't you have that backwards, wouldn't the organic industry prefer that conventional ag adopt as many scary sounding technologies as possible, in order to use fear marketing to sell their own product?

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                                How many Australian farmers would go back to their old systems since EPR were introduced. How many Australian varieties are grown in western Canada? Why are new varieties always about yield? One component for sure and maybe the biggest? What about disease resistance example fusarium , drought tolerant, lower inputs needed, much shorter straw. Sawfly resistant Salt tolerant etc etc. One thing I would agree is that older varieties shouldn’t be deregistered to force farmers into upov 91 varieties and newer. Again that’s a CGC issue and pretty sure the wgwga again is and has been in front of the CGC change discussions.
                                the question you would need to ask is ; how many Aussie varieties are grown in Russia, China ,etc. ?
                                we can't even grow unity wheat for hrsw , let alone an Aussie variety , strange statement you made ?
                                lower inputs ? we're about 60% higher than 20 years ago ?? and yield is up about 5-10% on hrsw ? not following this logic?
                                some brand new varities are terrible for fuz, that we paid $17 / bu for seed , and yields less than unity

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...